GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I NEED A TUNE PLEASE HELP!!!

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Hm. I never noticed any of the stuff you mention when I was stage 2 apr, I only had that for a short while before going k04 though.

I wonder how stratified plays with k04 cars

Yea...people have been talking about it more on the apr thread now and it kinda seems like it's an issue that might only effecting certain box codes. Some of my issues popped up over time though. I remember when I first got 2.4 I thought it was a pretty smooth tune, but months later and it was a jerky/surgy mess. I was pointing fingers at my DV, or intake, or my SMFW, but out of a leap of faith I changed tunes and all the problems I had were cleared up instantly with the strat tune.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Been hearing a lot of good things about them. Can you give any specifics on what "night and day" means? What specifically is better about the tune you had before?
Well i can only really compare it to cobb stage 2 tune.. which had a lot of hesitation and throttle play... On the cobb stage 2 map i would be just driving around in "D" and it would be constantly trying to go like it wasnt sure if it should build boost or not and so it would build and then realize it didnt need it so it would stop and then repeat cycle (all while under partial throttle and not adding or lowering gas).

The cobb tune had more of a "turbo" car feel where it would be nothing in power and then a big burst of power like the old days when people would slap turbo kits in and you would have all the lag just to be thrown into your seat and go.. Which i admit felt nice but the power was inconsistent and the lower(normal) driving really suffered by the get up and go mentality of the cobb OTS map.

The stratified map is really close to stock map smoothness like it really drove like the stock car but with a lot more in it. It has amazing partial throttle response and doesn't fluctuate.. it drives really smooth and just pulls when you start rolling into the throttle or stomping down... there no jerkyness at all that i ive noticed... 100% throttle, 50% throttle, 20% throttle nothing makes it jerk from my everyday and spirited driving. I will admit i kind of missed the rawness of the cobb tune when it would slam you back however the stratified tune pulls like a train and just feels stronger and faster.

I didn't do the tune revisions via datalog but my initial flash tune is boss. I may do it just for funs as its only $50.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
How often do you guys need to run logs for them? That would be the biggest drawback for me.

x2 on this

There's a bunch of local (MK7) guys with Cobb and getting protunes, but all they talk about is logging all the time & then waiting for a new revision....then rinse, repeat. Over & over
Seems like a major pain in the ass, to me. Plus not trying to get busted while doing it too.
I get that they're making a custom tune for your car, but you're doing the R&D yourself essentially.

If the protune had HUGE gains over a "canned" (APR/Unitronic/etc) tune...okay, I get it. But at a point, I think you're splitting hairs

And one guy, Justin?, that was doing protunes had enough and said he wasn't gonna do VW tuning anymore. So that leaves a bunch of guys stranded (no support) and looking for another tuner while spending more $$$ to get another tune (if needed).

(I know Cobb's off the shelf tune is garbage, btw)

Last edited:

Laimface

Ready to race!
x2 on this

There's a bunch of local (MK7) guys with Cobb and getting protunes, but all they talk about is logging all the time & then waiting for a new revision....then rinse, repeat. Over & over
Seems like a major pain in the ass, to me. Plus not trying to get busted while doing it too.
I get that they're making a custom tune for your car, but you're doing the R&D yourself essentially.

If the protune had HUGE gains over a "canned" (APR/Unitronic/etc) tune...okay, I get it. But at a point, I think you're splitting hairs

And one guy, Justin?, that was doing protunes had enough and said he wasn't gonna do VW tuning anymore. So that leaves a bunch of guys stranded (no support) and looking for another tuner while spending more $$$ to get another tune (if needed).

(I know Cobb's off the shelf tune is garbage, btw)

I don't get why people are so against the idea of making their tune safer / smoother with a couple of data logs. It took me literally 25 minutes out of my lunch break one day to find a nice straight road (helps it has no speed limit) and ripped up and down in 3rd and 4th a few times. If you want a choppy generic shelf map be my guest :p

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I don't get why people are so against the idea of making their tune safer / smoother with a couple of data logs. It took me literally 25 minutes out of my lunch break one day to find a nice straight road (helps it has no speed limit) and ripped up and down in 3rd and 4th a few times. If you want a choppy generic shelf map be my guest :p

This i did a few data logs and i did 3 of them in a row on the same stretch of a road... 3rd gear tops out around ~85mph and 4th gear is like 104mph.
Stratified only request 3rd gear logs for tuning purpose so if you get on a highway you are only going 10-15mph over the limit at most. it litterly takes like 5 seconds to do 1 3rd gear data log.
and about 8 seconds for a 4th gear log.

I did 3 logs in a row in about a mile of road and took maybe 45 seconds to do the 3 separate logs.

Also it only takes a few data logs to get the tune... revised you just go until you and them are both satisfied with the safety and power. Any of those people doing 10+ logs and iterations are just being crazy trying to squeeze every fraction of power out of it.

I think it shouldnt take more than 2-5 revisions at most imo for them to fine tune it. the lower side for the data log revision and the higher side for a true pro tune.

Last edited:

Laimface

Ready to race!
This i did a few data logs and i did 3 of them in a row on the same stretch of a road... 3rd gear tops out around ~85mph and 4th gear is like 104mph.
Stratified only request 3rd gear logs for tuning purpose so if you get on a highway you are only going 10-15mph over the limit at most. it litterly takes like 5 seconds to do 1 3rd gear data log.
and about 8 seconds for a 4th gear log.

I tried 5th for a laugh, was doing 130 with more to go... Ran out of road so couldn't finish the pull.... Can confirm: Stock brakes don't like that lol

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
They dialed down my tune with just 1 revision. I had the initial tune and then 1 updated tune and that was it.

I'm pretty sure Jeez has said he's on his 9th revision, but he's k04.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
They dialed down my tune with just 1 revision. I had the initial tune and then 1 updated tune and that was it.

I'm pretty sure Jeez has said he's on his 9th revision, but he's k04.
yeah protunes or completely custom tunes for big/bigger turbos would take longer as a lot more to work with... thats why i was saying the regular data log revision on the flash should be minimal log and revision.

I think i may pay the $50 and do the revisions just for fun.

Jaber

Modero

All it took for me was to get the tune back in 2014 :)

Just stating my opinion, to me it is not worth ripping up/down the highway, risking my license for some logs. Even if it's just doing it a couple times. If I want bigger gains from here, K04 is next.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
All it took for me was to get the tune back in 2014 :)

Just stating my opinion, to me it is not worth ripping up/down the highway, risking my license for some logs. Even if it's just doing it a couple times. If I want bigger gains from here, K04 is next.
no problem my dude. To each their own obviously it depends on if you can do things in a safe manner. If you cant safely do logs then i agree in not getting a tune where logs are required. Luckiily where i am there are a few county/country roads that a pretty wide pretty straight and dont usually have people on them. Plus there are no driveways and can see for a couple miles ahead to see if its safe.

CHerna

Ready to race!
for sure. I'd love to ride in someones car that has that tune to see what the fuss is about. Honestly I really like the apr k04 file though.

If you're ever in the Detroit area, hit me up. Maybe we can workout a ride.