GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon Buildup 101

kern417

Go Kart Champion
catch cans help and definitely do slow it down but won't eliminate the issue. Vent to atmosphere is best i believe. But the mesh design has to be useful without restricting airflow, so i'm sure some of the thinner/higher temp blowby can still flow through. I always thought the biggest benefit was to get rid of the PCV that has been known to fail on 2.0T engines. Zhijj is dealing with that issue right now isn't he?

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
My Pcv failed about a month ago. I thought even some of the catch can makers said they proved the cans don't really do anything to help the di carbon buildup though.

Bender1

Banned
catch cans help and definitely do slow it down but won't eliminate the issue. Vent to atmosphere is best i believe. But the mesh design has to be useful without restricting airflow, so i'm sure some of the thinner/higher temp blowby can still flow through. I always thought the biggest benefit was to get rid of the PCV that has been known to fail on 2.0T engines. Zhijj is dealing with that issue right now isn't he?
Not really correct

My Pcv failed about a month ago. I thought even some of the catch can makers said they proved the cans don't really do anything to help the di carbon buildup though.
Correct.

A VTA Catch Can will have an impact. A traditional catch can has been shown (multiple times) to do exactly jack squat.

Calvinball

Go Kart Champion
ERROR! ERROR! WHISKEY LEVELS LOW.

I would hope so, at 7:19 am.

I'm a bit hungs though.

Since this is a sticky, I will contribute something. Bender and I did get as far as "uh...I dunno?" last night in deciding whether carbon buildup is an issue with the TDI. We did ascertain that the TDI has a ccv and an egr, not a pcv. Take that for what it's worth.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
Correct.

A VTA Catch Can will have an impact. A traditional catch can has been shown (multiple times) to do exactly jack squat.

like i said i think vent to atmosphere is best, but i still think the traditional one should do something. what would the oily residue that they pour out do if it wasn't caught in the catch can?

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
like i said i think vent to atmosphere is best, but i still think the traditional one should do something. what would the oily residue that they pour out do if it wasn't caught in the catch can?

Water vapor that circulates through the engine on a cold startup.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
hmm i guess.

also i forgot i had this picture. these were my valves after 80k. there was more buildup on the walls than the actual valves.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
Interesting.....

So what is the recommended mileage target for getting this done?

just texted ken and told him im coming in at 60K, so about 10k from now....NP is very fair for our area and when dealing with ken shits a breeze

I will be doing it again in 60. I think anywhere from 50-60 makes sense.

And agreed with Steve's comment. North Penn was nothing but fair and obviously Ken is great to deal with.

Thanks Fellas, I try to make things simple and easy.

I'd say we're seeing HUGE build-up around 75k miles with most of the TSI/FSI cars. I will probably do mine once I get closer to 60k miles. I'm currently at 55k.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Also, other possible problem sources could include:

-Oil seepage through the head, past the valve
-Oil seepage through turbo seals
-EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system would provide a decent amount of soot right back into the intake tract. Think about how black our exhaust tips get...

It pretty much all stems from not having anything "washing" the intake ports each stroke.