GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

08' R32 or 12' Golf R

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Well; first I've never seen a 2008 STI go for $30k... More like $22-$25K tops. At that price it would have to be low miles, mint condition and CPO'd as well...

Second; The 2008 STI new was a $40k car. trust me I compared them before I bought ;)

Third: Both the 04 and 08 .:R32s are still on the top of the lists for holding their value; two of the best of all time relative to new pricing ;)

1st - that must be in your area, cos they are still being listed at $29,995 out here, with average miles, no CPO.

2nd - no one bought the 08 for $40K, in fact most went for $29,999 to 32K after incentives that year. Mine was $35K.

3rd- where is this list for value?

Last edited:

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
Hey Gunkata, I have no idea obviously if R32s will be a collectible one day, probably just my own dream garage notions. I am not even sure if we will ever see that engine drivetrain by VW again. To me though it does seem like VW tends tp end certain lines especially in the US, that are popular with our crowd, but dont make financial sense. But if were a Jay Leno type(money that is), it would be worth buying one and storing it. 04 in reflex silver for me :).

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
1st - that must be in your area, cos they are still being listed at $29,995 out here, with average miles, no CPO.

2nd - no one bought the 08 for $40K, in fact most went for $29,999 to 32K after incentives that year. Mine was $35K.

3rd- where is this list for value?

You have a very nice area... There are generally few or no incentives in my area on Subarus; never have been as they sell too well at their MSRP for the dealers to bother. If you got a 2008 or newer STI for less than $41k OTD around here then you are sleeping with the dealership's owner... :laugh:

Unfortunately I can't find the lists anymore; I'll keep searching and see if I can. The 04 R32 was number 1 on the list for the 04 model year, and the 08 was iirc number 3 or 4 on the 08 list... I know; kinda useless without the actual list, sorry.

Regardless; my point remains the same:

You are correct that STI and Golf R are faster. The Golf R is arguably better; depends on what you are looking for.... It has better performance, marginally better economy, and better tunability; but it lacks several key features that the MKV has that made it such a perfect all around GT car: Auto Lights and wipers, DSG, etc... Not to mention the VR6 vs a 4 Cyl Turbo. The 2.0T is more torquey, peaky, not as smooth, etc. It's great fun but less "grown up" feeling than the VR6 is.

My only point is "better" is subjective depending on what you want. As far as "standing the test of time" the 04 R will always be a classic; the MKV will age better than a Golf R, and the golf R will be more a tuner's car than a GT car... Shoppers looking for luxury will find more of it in a MKV R than a Golf R. Me, I'll be looking to pick up a Golf R as a replacement for my R32 in a couple years... ;)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
You have a very nice area... There are generally few or no incentives in my area on Subarus; never have been as they sell too well at their MSRP for the dealers to bother. If you got a 2008 or newer STI for less than $41k OTD around here then you are sleeping with the dealership's owner... :laugh:

Unfortunately I can't find the lists anymore; I'll keep searching and see if I can. The 04 R32 was number 1 on the list for the 04 model year, and the 08 was iirc number 3 or 4 on the 08 list... I know; kinda useless without the actual list, sorry.

Regardless; my point remains the same:

You are correct that STI and Golf R are faster. The Golf R is arguably better; depends on what you are looking for.... It has better performance, marginally better economy, and better tunability; but it lacks several key features that the MKV has that made it such a perfect all around GT car: Auto Lights and wipers, DSG, etc... Not to mention the VR6 vs a 4 Cyl Turbo. The 2.0T is more torquey, peaky, not as smooth, etc. It's great fun but less "grown up" feeling than the VR6 is.

My only point is "better" is subjective depending on what you want. As far as "standing the test of time" the 04 R will always be a classic; the MKV will age better than a Golf R, and the golf R will be more a tuner's car than a GT car... Shoppers looking for luxury will find more of it in a MKV R than a Golf R. Me, I'll be looking to pick up a Golf R as a replacement for my R32 in a couple years... ;)

The $7K off MSRP was nation wide in the end of 2008. See www.iwsti.com for more info.

Paying $41K OTD for an STI is not unheard of, its just kinda stupid. Again, the rest of your points are subjective and more for extreme fans of the VW brand - no one else, so this "argument over facts" is over ;) (god, you use that emoticon a lot)

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
I honestly don't care if it was world-wide; I'm telling what was available in my area... ;) (that one was just for you :D) Besides, you are comparing "what they sold for " prices on the STI to MSRP on the .:R32, they aren't both "about $35K cars". Anyone who paid over $32k for an R32 in 2008 was nuts... All the original owners I speak to paid between $28K and $31K for theirs brand new; so you are still talking cars with a $6K+ price difference new...

And FYI, I was never arguing facts in the first place; as I stated already, "better" is subjective... The differences I pointed out, however, aren't subjective. they are what they are. Whether they are important to you or not is the subjective part :thumbsup:

/derail

Back to the OP - Get the R32 and the Porsche and have a blast :D

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
MSRP's on both were quite similar that year, so your point there is moot. Yep, I'm done too ;)

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Only thing the R32 got on the R is sound PERIOD.

But the price is different, the R32 is a great car, of course as long it's that much cheaper than the R.

IFlyS5

Self-proclaimed DUBHEAD
I just traded my MK5 R32 and I don't miss it nearly as much as I thought I would. The sound? Yeah. The AWD? Yeah. But other than that my MK6 fits the bill nicely.

However, if my R hadnt been in two accidents (not my fault), Id probably still be driving it bc I LOVED it. If I had the opp. to own a MK5 R and a Porsche, vs just an R20, Id pick option 1. My .02.

krische

vdubber in training
And if it affects the OP's decision, MKV R32s were DSG only and the R will be manual only (speaking of USA of course).

jpalmerm

Just waiting for the golf R

Drove the R32 again and I think long term I would get tired of the DSG (bored) and I like the idea I can mod the R much easier...:w00t:

Kind of thinking 2012 GT-R instead of the 996tt X50 but its has that darn flappy paddle gearbox as well!!

Djmikeyd

Go Kart Champion
Last edited: