GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Driving Techniques

Old 08-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #1
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Any Track Rats Still Active?

Trying to see who's still out there tracking their mk6. I've had a pretty good season so far, been to autobahn, gingerman, blackhawk farms, and grattan. I'm going back to grattan in 3 weeks and then planning on hitting putnam park in indianapolis. Grattan has definitely been the most fun track I've been to yet, they have tons of blind off camber turns and elevation changes that bring a lot of excitement and challenges.

So far this is the third year for me tracking the gti and it's doing great. I've had my intercooler hose pop off twice on me this season but that's really the only problem. I am changing my intercooler and adding an oil cooler in a few weeks to help with the heat. Running RS3 tires, they look great after 5 track days. My brake pads will likely need to get changed before the next one though, Carbotech xp10 - they might have one more day in them but I don't want to risk it.

Anywho. Who else is out there? Tell me about your season!
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:06 PM   #2
red_stapler
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '12 GTI DSG
I've been focused on paying off credit card debt this year, but I'm hoping to get to a HPDE this fall.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
Lao278
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2012 White Golf R
People track their Golfs? I thought people only bought them to put bagz and Roti's on them to win car shows
White 2012 Golf R, Milltek turbo back exhaust, VWR cold air intake, HPFP, Bilstein PSS10 coilovers, APR stage 2+ tune, R8 Coils, BSH catch can, Snow Performance stage 2 w/m injection, BSH throttle pipe, Arm FMIC, Eurosport X brace
Lao278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:20 PM   #4
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 CW GTI DSG
Prepping the car with more suspension/chassis bits, then I'll be back at Laguna Seca later this year. Glad to see that there are other people out here that (still) track their rides.
APR Stage 2 :: Golf R LED tail lights :: AWE boost gauge :: Neuspeed P-Flo :: Enkei PF01 18x8 :: Dunlop Star Specs :: DG Springs :: UR DP :: UB :: XB :: R8 Coils :: SPM OEM BBK :: OSIR CF lip :: Bilstein :: Hotchkis :: 034 Front Endlinks

LightningRhod's quest to 200k and beyond
LightningRhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #5
zef
Oval Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI
I plan on going to the SCCA track night at NJMP later this month.
'13 GTI CW 2 DR (DSG) - Eurodyne Stage 2/HPA DSG Tune | Cobb TBE | IE CAI | IE FDS IC | 034 CC | VWR Subframe Pucks | 034 SD Mounts | MSS SPRING KIT (learn more here) | 034 Pendulum Mount | Supaloy Control Arms | B6 Passat Front Spindles | Koni Yellows | RSE10 | more to come! Follow me on Instagram!: jg_gti
zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:17 PM   #6
MLue1
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Thumbs up

I don't consider myself a Track Rat, but this little car has renewed an old interest, it's not really fast power wise but a very good tool to practice skills and surprise myself and others, on sh!t tires no less.
of
I've done several days with our Golf 2.5, from Roebling Road Track near Savanah GA, other tracks at Calibogie ON, Shannonville ON, Toronto Motorsport Park ON. In the last weeks Lime Rock CT with the C360R Race Team, the Principal of the Team was my PCA Driver Coach for many years, so invited to attend their test and tune track days. The APR guy was there, they don't support the MK6 2.5 but provided alot of good engine tuning info none the less.

Heading back to my home on Hilton Head SC next weekend for a few weeks, so with new sh!t tires, Porterfield Brake Pads and Koni Sports Struts and Shocks installed, I'm hoping to do another day at Roebling Road and do Tail of the Dragon to sort out the rear suspension setup a bit with the new shocks. I find it's abit too tight right now for my liking, I actually loved the lively handling of the stock rear shocks better as I was able to balance on the power more like in my vintage Porsche. Prolly more a case of more balls than brains tho !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lao278 View Post
People track their Golfs? I thought people only bought them to put bagz and Roti's on them to win car shows
I hope you're joking as I'm tired of GTI owner dumping on Golfs, only sh!t drivers need a suped up package to go fast and feel good about themselves.

Last edited by MLue1; 08-13-2017 at 12:17 AM. Reason: + comments
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:42 AM   #7
zrickety
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
Haven't tracked since last November, but I do give it the beans at every ramp and back road I can. Car is K04 with almost 140k and my latest set of Yokohama tires have been great. I have VWR mounts and a sweet Wortec oil pan to install yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #8
George11
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: VW GTI 2011
I second red stapler's post, focused on paying off cc debt then back to the track. I have been focusing on Buttonwillow though have done all so cal tracks since last August.