GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
Any of you guys have trouble with using the counter hold on jackstands since its very long?

We had to feed it in from the top of the engine, only way we could do it

Calkulin

Ready to race!
We had to feed it in from the top of the engine, only way we could do it

Or you do what I did

MK6NGT

Ready to race!
I asked before but didn't get a reply. I have a 2013, wondering if I need to update anything. My car was made 07/12

MK6NGT

Ready to race!
You need to be proactive and look at what revision tensioner you have through the service hole in the timing cover.

Will do. I think I saw that process in the first few pages of this thread, thanks.

MK6NGT

Ready to race!
Actually just looked at the timing chain cover, may have to get a mechanic to check this out. I didn't see it very easily.

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
I just called a dealer (vw of union)to get a quote. Spoke to the director of service (Fred) he told me because i have a 2013 that i dont need to replace it. Has anyone have this fail on a 2013 model? Im at 46k miles. My car was built november of 2012.

oldtype2

Ready to race!
I just called a dealer (vw of union)to get a quote. Spoke to the director of service (Fred) he told me because i have a 2013 that i dont need to replace it. Has anyone have this fail on a 2013 model? Im at 46k miles. My car was built november of 2012.

All 2.0T engines built after November 2011 have the new style tensioner. You should be fine, to be on the safe side, change your oil at least every 5k miles on these cars.

If for some reason it does fail make sure Fred pays for it [emoji6]

Sent from oldtype2 using Tapatalk Pro

Edmundo

Ready to race!

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
All 2.0T engines built after November 2011 have the new style tensioner. You should be fine, to be on the safe side, change your oil at least every 5k miles on these cars.

If for some reason it does fail make sure Fred pays for it [emoji6]

Sent from oldtype2 using Tapatalk Pro

Unfortunately you are incorrect. Cars built after 09/2012 are safe. So its possible that some 2013 models may have a faulty tensioners if their build date was before 09/2012.

justsomeguy

Passed Driver's Ed
Unfortunately you are incorrect. Cars built after 09/2012 are safe. So its possible that some 2013 models may have a faulty tensioners if their build date was before 09/2012.
Best just to check. See the pic in my post #1083. 10/11 build date and new tensioner.