GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Riceburner goes from MK7 to MK6 K04...

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
I just ordered one of those leather arm rests after seeing this. It's the only thing that I hate the feeling of cloth on.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Yeah nice!

I like the leather armrest so much i just bought some oem leather doorcards on ebay lol!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
ok so here's an update I can get more excited about, forget all this visual stuff right guys? right?

As mentioned I have a tyrolsport deadset subframe front kit on the way.
While we (jay745) and I are in there to install that we are going to be putting in a powerflex antilift kit for the front arms since they gotta come off for the install anyway. A little most caster sounds like a good thing for this car.

We are also going to update the DSG software and do a full flush; even though the last guy had it done somewhere I have no way of knowing if they did it right.

And last night I saw another local guy selling some aurora spherical bushings installed in both the rear control arms and rear toe arms.

So THAT's all going to stiffen up things a little bit i would say! :lol:

Hoping to eliminate some bump steer up front and make handling feel better from the rear, knowing this is going to increase NVH a good bit overall I hope it's worth the tradeoff.

I did sound deaden the trunk and a few other various points in the interior over the weekend to help with some NVH, only adding ~15 lbs or so to the overall weight of the car.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Latest mods (I like to keep up with this kind of stuff :) )
Engine:
APR K04 kit
SPM Catted DP
Gutted muffler
Full unitronic intake
Rev9 intercooler
Upgraded 'pancake pipe' (turbo outlet to intercooler)
GFB diverter valve
Diverter valve relocate
R8 coils
HP24 spark plugs
Fuel filter upgrade
Magnetic drain plug
Remove hood blanket (for such boost noise!)

Brakes:
Stoptech pads, R1 concept rotors
Braided brake lines

Drivetrain:
DSG Tune
034 Engine mounts
HPA Dogbone mount
Tyrolsport deadset front subframe kit (to be installed!)

Suspension:
Powerflex antilift front kit (to be installed)
Aurora sperical control arm bushings and toe arms (to be installed)

Wheels:
2016 golf R wheels, center spokes wrapped
Nitto NT555 G2 tires

Interior:
Upgraded OEM radio
Carbon fiber trim pieces
'GTI' seat emblems for handles
New floormats
Red LED floor 'ambience lighting'
Paddleshifter extentions
LEDs everywhere
Redlinegoods leather armrest
Leather doorcards
Sound deadening where needed
USB port
Vent mounted boost gauge
APR steering wheel badge

Exterior:
Euro front lip, colormatched
Wrap lower grille surround from grey to white
Golf R sideskirts
Remove splashgaurds
Paint lower grille and foglight grills
New foglights, tinted
3000K fog bulbs
R20 led headlights
5500K hid kit
PS24Y switchback turn signal bulbs
LED R20 tail lights
Smoked side markers
Black VW badges
debage 'gti' emblems
Carbon fiber license plate frame
LED license plate lights
30% window tint
Full polish/paint correction
Rear wiper delete

Weight loss:
Deka ETX16L battery (~40lbs stock to ~6lbs now!)
Remove spare tire, replace with inflator and plugs

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Did a few things

Painted the dipstick from the ugly orange/maroon color it was to red (because racecar)

and tried to polish my gauges with quixx lense restorer. I wetsanded with 3000 and 5000 prior to hand applicating the polish, it didn't turn out as well as i'd hoped; probly would skip the sanding if i could restart

before
20170514_121205.jpg

heres the stuff
20170514_121245_HDR.jpg

after sanding
20170514_122504_HDR.jpg

after one or two passes with the polish
20170514_125823.jpg

final
20170514_130224.jpg

dipstick
20170514_130128.jpg

riceburner

Autocross Champion
tomorrow mornings the big day to finally do the state inspection! new, REAL license plates, here i come! :D

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

riceburner

Autocross Champion
passed! :)

still need to wait up to 6 more weeks to get my title back and actual plates.

Celebrated by welding in a vibrant resonator in place of the stock one. :) for a little more noise.

Initial impressions of that: more tone, ~20% 'louder', no real drone to speak of, no power pops, no gurgle or that. kinda worth it.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
passed! :)

still need to wait up to 6 more weeks to get my title back and actual plates.

Celebrated by welding in a vibrant resonator in place of the stock one. :) for a little more noise.

Initial impressions of that: more tone, ~20% 'louder', no real drone to speak of, no power pops, no gurgle or that. kinda worth it.

noice

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Ooookay time for more updates!!

Had a busy weekend on this car!

FIRST AND FOREMOST, thread shoutout to Jay745 & Das Gespenst (better known as Jay and Carson) from Chicagoland for helping me out on installing all the stuff known below. Top notch work, both are great guys! We had a pretty serious issue arise midway through (bolt broke inside control arm which meant we had to drop the cradle to extract) but these guys took the punch without wincing, even though it turned a 5 hour job to a 10 hour job. They know sooo much about these cars, they know most torque specs off hand and all the correct procedures to do anything suspension, clutches, turbos, meth systems, timing systems you name it! Totally recommend them to anyone strapped for time & space or expertise to do some of these jobs; their pricing is great and they generally meet you in the middle from what the dealer would charge respectively. Win win for all.

At any rate!

Yesterday we all got together and installed:
vwr springs
tyrolsport deadset subframe front kit
KMD tuning front stress bar (and the bolt for the control arm you tie into for this is what was seized and broke on us, so be careful if you go for the same bar!
powerflex antilift kit for the front arms
dsg service and Re-learn
aurora spherical bushings installed in both the rear control arms and rear toe arms.
10mm & 15mm spacers for the wheels
Superpro adjustable front endlinks
Some stretch bolts
New front strut mounts

Think thats it?? Lol.

Overall the install went super smooth, I usually do all my own work on my cars, but decided to have jay and Carson do this one for/with me, since there was so much involved and it only made sense to do it all at once for alignments sake. Plus no room for such a project at my house currently.

Initial impressions:

Holy crap what a drop with these springs!

I was expecting a super harsh ride with all the above in the car, alot more NVH, and generally feeling the road much more. But to my surprise, none of the above!

Springs: Awesome feel to these, seriously no stiffer feeling of a ride than before, just tighter, if that makes sense. Does not allow as much body roll, but takes bumps just as good or better than my stock springs. Obvious handling benefits are obvious.

Deadset kit: YES YES YES. Totally killed all drivetrain slop. NO NVH. In fact, with full 034 mounts and HPA puck, I already had some NVH prior but now it's gone. Unreal. Shifts are more direct, no feeling anything rock back and forth when on and off the gas. Love it.

Endlinks: Seemed to be the best for the money and I found no horror stories on these vs the whitelines and others, so went with these. adjustments are super easy, we will see how they hold up!

Anti lift kit: Hello traction! Yes, you can seriously feel a difference with the added caster, not to mention lack of soft OEM control arm bushings! Would recommend, these are also supposed to help limit understeer, which i have not pushed the car yet.

Spherical bushings in the rear: Again was totally expecting to feel like a railcart offroading with these but nope, nothing added whatsoever. I can feel the rear more, the softness i had going through corners prior is gone. These are totally kickass.

Front stressbar: To tie the control arms together in the front and limit flexing. It helps aid the positive theory of having a soft suspension and stiff chassis. Can feel the difference. For 89 bucks, and comes with arp bolts. recommend.

DSG re-learn was seriously needed. Before i had delays between shifts often, and when creeping the whole car would shake. I hated it and was really starting to dislike the DSG. Now everything is butter smooth and as i always wanted it to be. Anyone with a dsg that hasn't done this - do it.

Spacers: 10MM up front with my MK7R wheels don't rub, but the rear 15mm's were making them rub like a lonely man on a friday night. Will have to replace with 10mm later. maybe even 5.
20170604_184321_HDR.jpg

20170604_184306.jpg

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Today I completed more updates on my interior.

Think its right about where I want it now.

Sound deadened more of the rear, took apart the center rear seat armrest to sound deaden that (IT RATTLES A SHIT TON MORE THAN YOU MIGHT THINK)
and also took the rear seat tops out to tighten up the tolerances on the rails they rotate on because they shudder going over bumps due to slack. All worked out great. Sprayed some deadening foam stuff in a few areas I couldn't reach as well. So now the whole rear hatch and rear seat area is very tightly deadened. So happy with that!

DSG BFI knob - kind of wierd install, hard to get it positioned/operating right, but when you do, it's pretty nice. Just nice to get rid of the ugly OEM knob and have a 'manual look alike' #poserforlife

Red pinstripes on dash trim: This is a copycat of someone elses post I saw, so can't take any credit for the idea, but i love how it looks!

Finally, I found two scrap pieces of leather laying around and decided to learn how to hand stitch with some gutterman red #157 thread I was planning to use for something else and made something to wrap around the shifter surround! I love the shifter surround but hated that it was the hardest plastic in the car and wanted it to be a little more raised and lush looking. This was a relatively easy project overall, and it's secured to the underside of the shifter surround via industrial staples and fabric adhesive. Love it!

Last thing was swapping the all black Jetta VW badge up front for a red/black GTI VW badge.

20170604_184201.jpg

20170604_184225.jpg

20170604_184249.jpg

20170604_184328_HDR.jpg

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Wow the red pinstripes really finish off the look with the bfi knob looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riceburner

Autocross Champion
thanks guys, I'm really excited! such a better car right now!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
okay went on a more spirited drive last night around this sweet little 'crazy 8' empty industrial park area. Holy crap, the car is so controlled. I still am not pushing it nearly hard enough as i was struggling to find the limit of traction on turn in, i was not getting much wheel spin on hard throttle out either. Everything feels sharp, predictable and direct. Even though somehow the car feels more tame (largely due to the sound deadening and I'm assuming replacing some bad OEM bushings), its certainly a more visceral experience. It's nice to drive something again where I really need to push it to find the limit, not something that I find the limit without trying.