GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Keyless Entry beware!

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
so if someone were to steal your car and drive away, it would just stop working at a certain distance?
then there would be no point in stealing it

No. See below.

I know Mercedes C-300 gives you one start with the key "in range" and will drive until the car is shut off but won't start again. This is what I was told by a friend who owns one. I don't fully trust him, he is wrong alot.

We have a BMW and a Mazda in the family with keyless starting/entry. Both of them work this way. You can unlock and start the car with the key, but if you take the key away, the car will tell you that the key is no longer detected. The car won't shut off, I assume for safety reasons. If the battery in your key dies while you're on the highway, I think the last thing you want is to lose power steering/braking because the car shuts off.

markdopierala

Passed Driver's Ed
I was just going to post about this. So this weekend my wife and I go for drinks, I usually give her the key so put in her purse so i dont have to worry about it. I drop her off at the front door of the place and proceed to drive around the back to find parking, (I forgot i left her with the key)

The car simply reminded me "key not in range" then nothing i drove for a good 2-3 minutes turned off the car and went inside. went back with the key to lock it. And then i started thinking to my self, what if i was car jacked and took the key with me, the thief can just get in drive away without a key on his merry way.

Is there a timer that the car will shut off or it will just keep going? OR what if i hit the panic button or lock button will it then shut off?

Our system is nothing like the Top Gear video, as if you are more then 5 feet from the car it just will not work and the car will not even start unless the key is inside the car.

Bender1

Banned
I believe 'passive' in this article means the kind of system where you don't need to press the button on the remote to open the door, and not whether it uses rolling encryption codes. Encryption does not make a difference in this attack. I am interested to know if the car will indeed turn off when driven away from the key signal.

This does make a difference - I was thinking they were making the statement in terms of the way some RFID is passive and some RFID is active.

heartcoke

Ready to race!
well, you know, people steal hondas all the time.
There's a difference between popping the door and the ignition and extending the keyless antenna signal. I'm sure there's someone on every other block in Miami that knows how to do method one, but method 2 needs research, and at that point there's 100 other ways to steal a car.

deeb

Passed Driver's Ed
after i read "HeartCoke" comment about Gti vs R8.. i did a small check on MSRP of Gti and the R8 in the US market and i am surprised.

I paid a few hundred dollars short of US$ 100,000 for my Gti 5 door in Thailand while the R8 only cost 130,000 in the US.. Here we pay around Us$ 320,000 for the R8...

But frankly, i see more R8 on the streets of Bangkok more often than i see a Golf Gti...

Ronkerjake

Ready to race!
There's a difference between popping the door and the ignition and extending the keyless antenna signal. I'm sure there's someone on every other block in Miami that knows how to do method one, but method 2 needs research, and at that point there's 100 other ways to steal a car.

i was just sayin that nice cars arent always target to theft. I think honda civics with their nutless engines are pretty high up on the top stolen cars

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
The car simply reminded me "key not in range" then nothing i drove for a good 2-3 minutes turned off the car and went inside. went back with the key to lock it. And then i started thinking to my self, what if i was car jacked and took the key with me, the thief can just get in drive away without a key on his merry way.

Is there a timer that the car will shut off or it will just keep going? OR what if i hit the panic button or lock button will it then shut off?

Our system is nothing like the Top Gear video, as if you are more then 5 feet from the car it just will not work and the car will not even start unless the key is inside the car.

You are right about being car jacked. So you should be happy? Your car having KESSY means that your car jacker has only one joy ride available. In any other car, the key would remain in the car and he could stop and start it as many times as he wants.

Like I said before, I doubt there is any sort of timer to shut off the car, for safety reasons. Same for locking the car. Imagine you and your family on the highway, the key again being in your wife's purse. She sneezes and her elbow accidentally hits the lock button. Your car now suddenly shuts off and you lose power steering and braking. Not a pretty scenario, especially for sue-happy people.

Lastly, has anyone ever verified the Top Gear thing? I think that was more for shits and giggles (as they usually do), rather than being the truth. I would be EXTREMELY surprised if the key still worked at such a long range, and it would be a huge safety issue. I think Jeremy had the key, but they made it seem like Hammond did because it was funnier. In every system I've had experience with, if you are not standing at the door handle, it won't work. Even if you are standing at the rear door instead of the front. They are actually smart enough that if you place the key in the pocket in the doors, then close it and try to lock it, the car is smart enough to know that the key is inside, rather than in your pocket (which, if you think about it, is a difference of only a foot or two)

Clempson13

Ready to race!
I paid a few hundred dollars short of US$ 100,000 for my Gti 5 door in Thailand.

holy crap. /end thread jack.