GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

stock mk6 vs a wrx wagon

Sango11

Passed Driver's Ed
today on the way home from school this kid with a wrx wagon follows me to the sunken meadow parkway. once on it he pulls up and hits it i let him go the first time didn't want to race so he slows down so i was like f**k it we both are roling and do a pull at 60 and are on it and i raped the kid didn't know what hit him the thing was a automatic but had a few things done(Know the kid) so all i gotta say about a 04 wrx wagon is that they are no match for us hahah

dwp2

Ready to race!
The automatic in that model WRX was not very good.

I had an 02 wagon w/manual tranny and while it was quick off the line, even when stock, it suffered too much drivetrain loss at higher speeds. When stock, they fall on they're face when shifting from 2nd to 3rd.

I know when mine was stage 2, I smoked quite a few GTIs.

dwp2

Ready to race!
stage 2 2.0 wrx will struggle to keep up with a stock mk5/6...the mk4s thats totally believable though

From a roll, especially at higher speeds, I agree. Just not from a dig. The GTI would start reeling in around 80-85MPH.

My WRX dynoed 225whp/237tq at TurboXS in MD.

Last edited:

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
Nice, I lost to one the other night. . .

but he did a 2.5L STI block swap with a VF22 @ 18 psi.

big turbo is always a different story...plus a new stronger, larger displacement block=no chance haha

you can actually surprise a lot of subbies that aren't heavily modded...stage 1 i had put about a car length on my buddy's cobb stage 1 05 sti....not from a dig of course...awd is still the king of launch haha....i really want to run a stage 2 sti now to see how that goes now that i am stage 2

dwp2

Ready to race!
I was set on getting a new WRX, but found I didn't like the new 2.5 setup. The power was like an on/off switch. Not to mention the I think the seat quality had declined. After driving the GTI right after the WRX, I was sold on the GTI.

x_paradoxal_x

Ready to race!
Yeah those STI's have a whole extra cylinder! AWD as well, it is a bloodbath. And I have found that that 1st, 2nd, and 3rd seem like you don't get anywhere, so from a roll would be much more favorable.

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
Yeah those STI's have a whole extra cylinder! AWD as well, it is a bloodbath. And I have found that that 1st, 2nd, and 3rd seem like you don't get anywhere, so from a roll would be much more favorable.

all subaru imprezas from the plain boring one to the wrx and sti all have 4 cylinder boxster engines...and if you cant get anywhere in second a fwd driving lesson might help...and if 3rd gives you issues you probably need new tires too

Last edited:

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
I drove a 2009 WRX for a while. The turbo lag didn't bother me much and heck, the gas mileage didn't bother me much either. It had the 2.5L motor with an VF52 turbo.

With at least catback on those things with their unequal length exhaust headers, you get one of the best sounds to ever come from a four-cylinder motor. Get a freer-flowing downpipe and the turbo lag is dramatically reduced.

But yeah, the thing did definitely fall on its face after switching to third (stock, anyway). Second gear is pretty tall as it is in those cars. The car hits just above 60 around redline in second gear. So it looks great for 0-60 times, that's for sure (it's one reason why a WRX gets to 60 about as fast as the STI). Speed aside, the suspension felt a bit too soft for a car with such sporting intentions. It also felt too high, wheel gap was massive (if you think the GTI is bad, take a look at a WRX).

And if any of you were wondering, I ditched the 2009 WRX because the exterior styling really bothered me A LOT (I had the sedan), the sound system was pretty bad (even though I had the "premium" setup), and the interior was extremely lackluster. That and it wasn't exactly as good of a long-distance driver as the GTI.

I really do miss the power and sound of that thing though... and AWD would be nice from time to time, though it isn't necessary for my daily driving. Not gonna lie, if the WRX styling on the 2009 was as it is now with the 2011s and their wide body kits, I probably would have kept it (especially since the 2011s supposedly got updated interiors and sound systems).

That said, I do, of course, really like the GTI. It's the best all-around car money can buy, honestly. Comfort, efficiency, refinement, practicality, all in one. Haven't found a better car yet. My preferences just happen to value performance a bit more than other things in a car.