GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 Volkswagen Golf vs the 2010 Volkswagen GTI ?

07CARRERA

Ready to race!
Thanks roastpuff, I emailed Achtuning and was told the stage one flash starts at $599 and he said they encourage the option to be able to switch back and forth from stock mode to performance mode which would add $149 , also a 1 hour labor charge of $95, so over $800 with tax. Does that sound like a fair deal?

What is stage 2, another ECU flash?

wow, that's expensive! I paid $625 total for my APR stage I. I didn't do option to switch back though (unecessary).

07CARRERA

Ready to race!
Just by changing the fuel delivery? Timing has to be played with as well and probably a number of other things , spark etc etc.

I still find a 54hp/89ft lbs gain very hard to believe without some sort of modification to the engine.

it's true! It's amazing how much a boosted car reacts to simple programming as opposed to naturally aspirated engines. The APR Stage I on my 08 GTI didn't void the warranty and I had 65,000 miles when I sold it with no issues. it may shorten the life on your turbo but it all depends on if you beat it up everytime you get in the car. I drove my MK5 pretty hard everyday but will take it easier on my MK6.

BentValve

Ready to race!
I am gonna pass on doing a APR Stage 1 upgrade for now as in stock form I can get a lot out of my GTI. I have even gone back to the dealership I bought the car from and quizzed them on APR to try and see if my GTI may have already gotten a boost...........I am 99% sure it was not done. I am already wondering how my suspension will hold up..............the last thing I need right now is a boost in HP and torque. Maybe after I get 20K or so miles on it and everything holds up then I might consider this upgrade. Right now I am having fun seeing how fast I can take tight corners............you gotta realize I used to be a big time sport bike rider before I was nearly killed on my GSX-R1000 by some stupid driver ........ straight line speed aint my cup of tea, I like the twisties. :D

alsantiago77

I find the 2.5 has enough get up and go for regular city/highway driving...If you're into tracking and whatnot that's another story. A few reasons I wouldn't trade:

1) You're going to lose a fair amount on the trade and have to deal with larger monthly payments with the GTI.

2) Insurance will be more expensive

3) You have to use premium fuel in the GTI whereas the 2.5 only requires regular.

4) The 2.5 engine is supposed to be very reliable and the whole "less is more" rule applies.

You're probably just experiencing buyers remorse and spending too much time on this forum (which consists of mainly biased GTI drivers). Enjoy the 2.5 for now and trade in for the 7th gen GTI.

i do like my mk6 2.5 but it is extremely stock and for 5k more i would have bought the gti.. but of course insurance, and premium gas and also maintenance made my decision. you mentioned a turbo kit for my car. will this turbo be easy to install?

BentValve

Ready to race!
i do like my mk6 2.5 but it is extremely stock and for 5k more i would have bought the gti.. but of course insurance, and premium gas and also maintenance made my decision. you mentioned a turbo kit for my car. will this turbo be easy to install?

#1 insurance is not much more for a GTI, like $50 per 6 months for me. Yes premium gas is more but maintenance? You talking about the timing belt ? Because that is about the only maint that is different from a Golf to a GTI.......105,000 is the recommended change time.

I bought a Golf drove it a week and traded it in for a GTI, it took a week to fall in love with it, it is 10x the car the Golf is. Looking at the 2 cars on paper you'd never know. I had to come out of about $6200 more for the GTI, and I can say for certain that , that $6200 was the best $6200 I have ever spent. :D:D:)

Techmonkey

Ready to race!
#1 insurance is not much more for a GTI, like $50 per 6 months for me. Yes premium gas is more but maintenance? You talking about the timing belt ? Because that is about the only maint that is different from a Golf to a GTI.......105,000 is the recommended change time.

I bought a Golf drove it a week and traded it in for a GTI, it took a week to fall in love with it, it is 10x the car the Golf is. Looking at the 2 cars on paper you'd never know. I had to come out of about $6200 more for the GTI, and I can say for certain that , that $6200 was the best $6200 I have ever spent. :D:D:)

Reading your comments both before and after your change of cars, it seems like you work hard to convince yourself that you are making the right decisions. Previously you were over-rating the Golf 2.5L and under-rating the GTI. Now that you own the GTI, you seem to under-rate the Golf 2.5L and over-rate the GTI. Perhaps a middle ground would be that the GTI is 6.78349 the car that the 2.5L is? ;)

alsantiago77

well i guess you never seen car insurance in nyc. The insurance almost triples because its a gti i got quoted 280 a month full coverage to my 100 bucks a month for my 2.5. i guess the next car i get in 2 to 3 years will be a gti or r