GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 Volkswagen GTI Edition 35 - First Drive Review

Uberryan

Banned
doesn't matter, the 35th won't come stateside, since the golf platform has only been here for 30 years. Wouldn't make much sense.

The most we'll see out of VWoA will be another fahrenheit edition. GLI should be just around the corner too.

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
I realize it's an FSI, but how did they get more horsepower than torque? I'm not familiar with any ECU calibration on either the FSI or TSI that will produce more hp than tq. You run a stock TSI on 93, you get more than 221 lb/ft at the crank.

I'm not at all sure this Edition 35 is going to run the quarter eight tenths faster than a regular GTI, as they're claiming. These quarter-mile times they have for the 35th anniversary model are what a good-running stage 1 will do - with around 250/300 at the crank.

VW definitely is sandbagging with the regular GTI, but here they are going a little overboard.

It is because it is running a K04 most likely, with low boost. That would do it. If you Google the Edition 30 (FSI w/ k04), it has the same power band and power, give a few RPMs for peak figures in the new one.

chmod

Passed Driver's Ed
not a chance

with a BASE price like that though... might as well spend a few more grand for a 5 series or something.

I just sold a 2002 5 Series to buy my 2011 DSG GTI.

Have you ever owned a 5 Series? Have you owned one for any length of time? If you have not you should not make assertions like the one you made. If you HAVE owned one, then you are, simply, flush with money to maintain the exotic thing.

I loved my 5 Series, but realize how much money I flushed to maintain it.

Sorry, I disagree. The GTI, in even an upscale configuration, is a better deal with all costs factored.

chmod

Fordson

Ready to race!
It is because it is running a K04 most likely, with low boost. That would do it. If you Google the Edition 30 (FSI w/ k04), it has the same power band and power, give a few RPMs for peak figures in the new one.

I think this sounds right, concerning the published figures. Unless they are seriously lowballing them, though, I don't see them running any 5.5 second 0-60 times, though. These cars are pretty traction-limited up to about 20 mph, and once you hook up, you better have a hell of a lot more than 235 hp to make up the lost time from 20 to 60. They are basically saying this car is as fast as the Golf R. The power-to weight ratio is similar, but the R has AWD, and that's a different ballgame out of the hole.

ick

Ready to race!
Another VW that will never see US shores.