GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New details on 2.0T EA888 Gen 3

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
Can't answer why they aren't doing it... Maybe cost? I'd suppose adding all of those extra injectors for FI and another fuel system to operate at a lower pressure than 200 bar might cost some money. They are trying to make the new cars cheaper.

I'm also disappointing in not seeing valvetronic show up as well on the GLI

Ours is able to hit a max of 200 bar now

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Well I guess it's a Stage2 Mk6 GTI for me.

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind this. The EA888 engine is the engine that is currently in Golf R in generation 2. This would be another revised engine of that motor which i understand but I thought the new motor going into the Mk7 GTI was a Gen 2 of the current Mk6 engine?

With this article it sounds like the EA888 is coming in the form of a refresh for the GLI. If that is correct, I would assume that the GTI would also come with that motor with the same output. I guess there is more questions then answers at this point but what was the point of developing the motor that is currently in the GTI if they kill it off after 6 years?

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Golf R has EA113. Which was the engine MK5 GTI comes with, but with K04 instead of K03, among other things. I don't actually know why the new EA888 is a gen 3 though? Is the MK6 GTI 2.0T Gen 1 or Gen 2?

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
Any mention of a more capable turbo. Something between the K03 and k04. This would help when getting you car flashed to produce more power.

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind this. The EA888 engine is the engine that is currently in Golf R in generation 2. This would be another revised engine of that motor which i understand but I thought the new motor going into the Mk7 GTI was a Gen 2 of the current Mk6 engine?

With this article it sounds like the EA888 is coming in the form of a refresh for the GLI. If that is correct, I would assume that the GTI would also come with that motor with the same output. I guess there is more questions then answers at this point but what was the point of developing the motor that is currently in the GTI if they kill it off after 6 years?

The EA113 is the Golf R and Mk5 engine. The EA888 is the TSI engine. So it is a revision of the current MK6 engine.

http://www.golf********.co.uk/index.php?topic=131433.0

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
The EA113 is the Golf R and Mk5 engine. The EA888 is the TSI engine. So it is a revision of the current MK6 engine.

http://www.golf********.co.uk/index.php?topic=131433.0

Ah... That makes a lot more sense then. Thank you very much!

Now the question is will the new GTI have the same tune as the GLI and get 210hp or will they bump it up? Maybe offer a performance package for 230hp but the base comes with 210hp.

That or they could do a refresh of the GLI in the spring of 2014 when the GTI comes out and up the power in both of them?

I guess only time will tell.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
The annoying thing is if they are not going to bring all the new feature to the North American MK7, which from the powerpoint it looks like the lack of MPI, new cooling management and Valvelift might be a market specific change, does that mean those feature will be on the EU spec car? And also this signals the possibility that if they are removing those items on the cars here, we might not get the new E-LSD and other things that the EU cars might get. Especially considering that something like the cooling managment and MPI will not only make the engine more powerful, they also improves emission and fuel economy...if those are consider unnecessary, E-LSD is something even less important for the car...

09Gitty

Ready to race!
Originally they were stating that two power versions of the mkvii gti would be available. They were something like 210 and 230 hp versions but the 230 hp version came with some extra goodies like an electrically controlled mechanical LSD.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Golf R has EA113. Which was the engine MK5 GTI comes with, but with K04 instead of K03, among other things. I don't actually know why the new EA888 is a gen 3 though? Is the MK6 GTI 2.0T Gen 1 or Gen 2?

i think ours is Gen 2, they have a EA888 1.8T one before the 2.0T

Noize

Go Kart Champion
The gen 3 is definitely less of a performance version than the gen 2. VW definitely isn't concerned with the aftermarket on these and is moving more toward green.

Halvie

WOOSA
The gen 3 is definitely less of a performance version than the gen 2. VW definitely isn't concerned with the aftermarket on these and is moving more toward green.

Should start to think of another name for the car than gti then

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie

What makes you say that? The full beef Gen 3 is no less "performance oriented" than anything gen 2...its just it looks like the NA market specific version won't be the full beef version....

MikeinNJ

Motors for US will be made in Mexico. Aren't current 2.0 TSI euro produced and shipped to Mexico for GLI/Turbo Beetle assembly?

Also, plastic oil pan? Wtf!

My first GTI is looking to definitely be a MK6. Not to say MK7 won't be good, but I can't see the first year or two being relatively problem free given VW's track record. Significant motor revision, different plant location for GTI production, new front diff, and of course the new MQB architecture. Just seems like a lot of new stuff for one generation.

I'll take the last model year of the MK6. Regardless of make/model, anyone I know that has the last production year of a vehicle has had a virtually trouble free experience.

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
I actually disagree with some saying that this car is less performance oriented. It may not come with all the new tech but the basic motor will help tuners produce power out of the motor. Look at the amount of power the A4 makes with a K04 vs the GTI with K04. All that tech doesn't always mean more power.

Again though we won't know until we get the motor to play with