GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Plac Show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I have been starting my thought process on my next car which I hope to have by the end of 2013.

I can't half ass it this time, and have to take a deeper plunge to get something i will keep. It is between 2 vehicles right now, although more could be added as automotive news comes out through the year.

used 2010-2011 Audi S4 ($38k-$40k) vs new 2013 BMW X1 -6 cyl/AWD ($50k)

I am not interested in the MK7 GTI. I'm looking for a car with my current GTI's power or pretty close. I'm done with major mods like K04, would prefer simply, a faster base car. the used Audi will have around 36k miles as a lease turn in. That's half a cars life for me. The BMW would be brand new fresh. I have always liked the higher visibility which is why the X1 is top of my list.

The only other car I love is the Wrangler, and because of the power, I won't get it. I don't want to have to put the $5000 supercharger kit on it and be fully modded again with warranty worries.

IF Subaru comes out with an entirely new interior on this next model that could also enter the running. I love Subarus, but can't stand sitting in them looking at that dash.

2010 Audi S4 Prestige, white, 31k miles, $39,000
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/3566165986.html

2011 Audi S4, black, 35k miles, $43,000
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/3577889675.html

2013 BMW X1, white, 6 cyl, AWD, $50,000
http://www.peterpanbmw.com/detail-2013-bmw-x1-awd_4dr_35i-new-9976916.html

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
S4.. HANDS FUCKIN' DOWN.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
That's a tough one. You want an suv or a car? Both seem awesome. My good friend has an s4. It's pretty awesome, but VERY expensive to mod. I'm not crazy on the look of the x1 tbh, but I do like bimmers a lot.

Tapped with my thumbs

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
if he buys an X1 over an S4, I will personally go to his house, knock on the door, proceed to punch him in the balls 1-3x as needed, and then leave immediately. I will also defecate on his lawn, time permitting.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I want a higher up vehicle purely for visibility, but i could live without one. the wife is upgrading the 2009 Nissan Xterra soon, so she will handle the higher up side of things I guess.

The X1 would be really stretching it for me financially. (Obviously, at $50k). It would probably lose at least $10k value in the first year of ownership.

The S4 would be a smarter financial decision, but used is used. Stained.. Seats sagging.. Dust in all the deep crevices of the dash.. but i hear the S4 is a high performance car. I guess the handling would blow away my GTI? (I never considered my GTI to be a good handler anyway.) Not sure if it would beat a K04 GTI stock, maybe. I have a local I know well, and I may get a ride in his S4 some day..

I think most of the country took a 2% pay cut this year with the Bush tax break expirations. I myself get $60 less a week because of this. Thats a fairly big hit at $240/month. So I'm making less money this year than last. Combine that with my rent going up $100 this month and I'm in a bad position financially. At least we have $5000 tax refund coming, but thats for savings, not cars.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I want a higher up vehicle purely for visibility, but i could live without one. the wife is upgrading the 2009 Nissan Xterra soon, so she will handle the higher up side of things I guess.

The X1 would be really stretching it for me financially. (Obviously, at $50k). It would probably lose at least $10k value in the first year of ownership.

The S4 would be a smarter financial decision, but used is used. Stained.. Seats sagging.. Dust in all the deep crevices of the dash.. but i hear the S4 is a high performance car. I guess the handling would blow away my GTI? (I never considered my GTI to be a good handler anyway.) Not sure if it would beat a K04 GTI stock, maybe. I have a local I know well, and I may get a ride in his S4 some day..

I think most of the country took a 2% pay cut this year with the Bush tax break expirations. I myself get $60 less a week because of this. Thats a fairly big hit at $240/month. So I'm making less money this year than last. Combine that with my rent going up $100 this month and I'm in a bad position financially. At least we have $5000 tax refund coming, but thats for savings, not cars.

Curious, what is your profession? I want those choices as my next cars!

I would factor in a professional & thorough detail of whichever car you go with. Should be $5-600. They'll make it new car ready for you.

I'm not sure if the handling would blow away the GTI... I don't think the GTI handles poorly at all. If it were RWD or AWD, it would behave much better through a corner. The S4 is really, really, fat. I believe in the territory of 4000lbs. It doesn't feel fat when you drive it though.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I got hit pretty good with the tax thing too, I just adjusted my witholding and it pretty much wiped it out. that said, I will get less of a return next year, but then again, lending the gov't my money for free isn't something I should be doing anyways.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion

This tells me that you make a LOT of money and could easily afford any of those cars... I make roughly 1/4 your salary and could afford a $50k car :lol:

Personally I don't like either of those cars though, so get whatever you prefer. X1 is automatic only so it's automatically out for me and S4 is just too heavy.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
it didn't feel heavy when i tossed it around an autocross ;)

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
This tells me that you make a LOT of money and could easily afford any of those cars... I make roughly 1/4 your salary and could afford a $50k car :lol:

i doubt you only make 1/4 of what i make. i was talking about $240 less take-home a month. (Or $2880 less a year.) But when i calculate it out, i most certainly don't make anywhere near $140k+ a year. so i don't know how that all works.

Last edited:

Merkle

Banned
if he buys an X1 over an S4, I will personally go to his house, knock on the door, proceed to punch him in the balls 1-3x as needed, and then leave immediately. I will also defecate on his lawn, time permitting.

This should be for anyone who buys the X1 period. BMW should pay us for having to look at that eyesore.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
i like BMW's. I like the 6 cyl turbo motor. I like 8 speed auto's. I like Harmon-Kardon stereo systems. Thats about it.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
i like BMW's. I like the 6 cyl turbo motor. I like 8 speed auto's. I like Harmon-Kardon stereo systems. Thats about it.

I hear ya.

I like Audi interiors and exteriors better. Sound systems can be about the same. The s4 is fucking baller and fast, x1... not so much, but I know the turbo 6 can be pretty quick.

The S4 can be had with the 7spd S-Tronic/DSG type system as well, its solid.

The AWD is very good too. I had no problem tossing one around, and it was all in pure auto mode:

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
The 6cyl x1 uses an old 6 speed ATX. The 8 speed auto is exclusive to the 2.0 4cyl.

Status
Not open for further replies.