GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Large Drop in MPG all of the sudden, help!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
It's already been addressed all the factors that go into mileage.... but one no one talks about is braking. I basically try not to ever brake. Rev match and downshift is much more efficient. I try not to slow down if on a freeway or highway. Everytime you brake you have to recover that speed.

Doubt this is op's problem but it is worth mentioning

Clarkson was talking about this during one of their adventure challenges.

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
Have you changed your spark plugs and fuel filter? If not I recommend you do. I was getting really bad gas milage then I changed it out and it got a lot better. Also I would look into a carbon cleaning as well. A friend of mine recently got it and he also reported better mpg.

eriknorcal

Ready to race!
I usually get around 20mpg.. I'd say about 75% in town for me.

Mostly freeway isn't much better, last 300 miles trip I averaged 26. I'm running a cobb tune, custom one. Not sure if that's why, or maybe i'm due for a carbon cleaning?

GTIinthree

How do you all get this mileage? Ive only ever gotten like 20-22mpg

I drive a mix of short trips around town and 70ish mph runs down the freeway most of the time. I've seen as high as 31 on state highways where the speed limit is 65mph and then only gotten 23 running 85mph on flat interstate running out the I-10 to LA. Mileage goes down anything over 70 MPH.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
FYI I get much worse mileage with the ac on than windows open.

34 mpg freeway windows open. 31 ac on.

I think there is something unique about the aero of our cars and how our ac compressor works that makes it defy the norm of: "ac on and windows up gets better mileage"

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
FYI I get much worse mileage with the ac on than windows open.

34 mpg freeway windows open. 31 ac on.

I think there is something unique about the aero of our cars and how our ac compressor works that makes it defy the norm of: "ac on and windows up gets better mileage"

When on the highway at around 75ish mph and AC on according to the dash i get around 31mpg too. I dont really drive with the windows down to much anymore because im fat and lazy lol.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Don't forget everyone's good friend heat soak. I've seen weather kill mileage on these cars when it gets hot, and damn has it been hot lately.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Same I’ve never been able to get above that in my mk6

~30 miles back country roads at 45-65mph with a roof rack and fairing. 93 oct stg2 tune