GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone else doing the Keto Diet?

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't know how I missed this thread! I've been doing it for a few months now. It's awesome.

Edit: Also recently I started taking a multivitamin, in addition to a standalone potassium vitamin and a magnesium one as well. Helped a LOT.

One of the things that I found is "No-Salt" or "Lite-Salt" which uses potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride and is a GREAT source of potassium. I get wicked leg cramps if I'm not careful with my electrolytes while doing keto and this is the cheapest and easiest way that I've found to supplement potassium. EDIT: I also use BCAA's to help replenish electrolytes and mix in some of the no/lite-salt when I make them.

I've been on the keto diet for months, it's my general way of eating. I have off-periods (I just got back from Alaska, the week I spent backpacking in Denali was all keto, but the time outside of the park was full of beer and carbs... and it was glorious) where I go back to a more "standard" diet, but I prefer keto in general. I feel better, I focus better, I don't have cravings or sugar crashes or energy dips, etc.

Last edited:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
you can drink chicken broth to up your sodium intake. I also bought a magnesium and potassium supplement although i have not been taking them. I have been adding those Atkins morning smoothie drinks to my breakfast routine as they are full of a good portion of vitamins/minerals and only cost me 1 carb.

Atkins French Vanilla Shake.

i dont mind that it has more protien than fat as my regular breakfast meal is way more fat than protein. like 30-40 grams more fat than protein.

For example my breakfast today was 1 egg cooked with butter and olive oil plus 2 breakfast sausage patties and the Atkins smoothie

29 grams protein, 1 carb, 56.5 grams fat, and 634.5 calories.

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
you can drink chicken broth to up your sodium intake. I also bought a magnesium and potassium supplement although i have not been taking them.

I took bouillon cubes out backpacking to make sure that I had enough sodium since I also packed out the No-Salt (which is pure potassium chloride) instead of Lite Salt (a mix of potassium and sodium) and I had zero cramps.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I took bouillon cubes out backpacking to make sure that I had enough sodium since I also packed out the No-Salt (which is pure potassium chloride) instead of Lite Salt (a mix of potassium and sodium) and I had zero cramps.
Yeah i dont really get cramps i got cramps one day in my calves but i actuated that to going to one of those indoor trampoline places for 2 hours the night before lol

I bought some of those mio with electrolytes water enhancers and that seems to be doing fine for me.

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah i dont really get cramps i got cramps one day in my calves but i actuated that to going to one of those indoor trampoline places for 2 hours the night before lol

I bought some of those mio with electrolytes water enhancers and that seems to be doing fine for me.

Oh you’re lucky. I get them pretty heavily if I don’t watch it. My roommate got a flat and I went to help him get the tire off last night and one kick and my calf started cramping.

I’ll have to look into the Mio, I used to keep them handy a few years back but without the electrolytes in them. BCAAs can be pretty expensive so if I can keep those for workouts my wallet would be happier (and there’d be more monies for go-faster-goodies).

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
ahh yeah i also take BCAAs and Creatin for my workout supplements so that could play a factor in it too

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Do any of you use the ketone strips you pee on?

I do, got them on amazon for $10. They’re helpful to test out certain foodstuffs and it’s effects on ketosis. I’ve found that I need to keep my total carb count down under 30 by using them, not just my net carb count, to stay in ketosis.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Do any of you use the ketone strips you pee on?
Yeah i bought
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SODYZQK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

they work well for indicating if you have keytones in your body. I got them about 3 days into my fully blown diet and i was already producing keytones about a few days after that i semi cheated by having a sliver of pie for a birthday and i only pissed light pink instead of purple indicating my keytones are down.

Dont pee on the strips if your urine is dark yellow. Dehydration gives false positives so always drink plenty of water...

I keep my net carbs under 20grams sometimes im as little as 5 or 6 sometimes im at 20. I have not gone out of ketosis besides that pie incident which took about a day to get back in..
I know im in ketosis because i get this weird almondy sweet taste in the back of my mouth at times through out the day(i dont eat almonds currently) and that has been like that when i test for the largest (dark purple) keytones on the strip. I didnt really get the energy boost everyone talks about but im loosing weight and stuff so maybe it just takes some time.

I didnt weigh myself this morning but yesterday i was 215.2lbs which now officially makes me over 20lbs down. :happyanim:
Another 20lbs to go for my first goal (195)

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
"Dont pee on the strips if your urine is dark yellow. Dehydration gives false positives so always drink plenty of water..."

I wasn't aware of this thanks.

piesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
"Dont pee on the strips if your urine is dark yellow. Dehydration gives false positives so always drink plenty of water..."

I wasn't aware of this thanks.

I never knew this either, but I’ve always been on top of my water consumption especially when doing full keto. Making sure I get enough water helps me drop a couple thousandths of a second or so every morning, if you know what I mean.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
haha yeah. Water is the most important part of this diet. I drink at least 3 liters per day(roughly 100oz) sometimes more if im doing intense workouts.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Another side effect of ketosis for me is dry mouth. Im almost constantly thirsty

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
whats everyone's progress? I was 213 this morning.