GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

40k Service - Costs vs. DIY - Dealer vs. Indie - BS Meter goes to 11

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Most of that 40k service is inspections. I'll do my own service, but let the dealer do the DSG & brake fluid change. Jay if I was closer I'd have you do the work.

gdub09

Ready to race!
At the dealer I work at a DSG service is somewhere in the $400 range if I remember. It's not hard if you know what you're doing. Same with a brake flush, you and buddy and you're done in 10min. It does amaze me that people do pay for some dealer services. I've seen tickets for Haldex, trans, and plugs. It gets pricey lol

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
There was a time when I would do anything & everything on my cars. I turn 67 in a few months so crawling under my car is not as much fun as it once was.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
At the dealer I work at a DSG service is somewhere in the $400 range if I remember. It's not hard if you know what you're doing. Same with a brake flush, you and buddy and you're done in 10min. It does amaze me that people do pay for some dealer services. I've seen tickets for Haldex, trans, and plugs. It gets pricey lol
If its so easy, why do they charge so much?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Yeah. I don't have dsg, so idk how hard it is to do. Byt if its that easy there must be some trap or something

I’m still waiting to do mine but will most likely take it to an indie shop to save on labor costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaber

Modero
Yeah. I don't have dsg, so idk how hard it is to do. Byt if its that easy there must be some trap or something

Believe it’s the refill method and the tool they use to fill it from the bottom to proper level. The top fill takes longer, but yields some results. It’s really not that hard, just messy and can be time consuming, compared to an oil change.

In no particular order, all you do is; Remove battery and tray, remove filter housing (replace oring),remove old filter, remove drain plug, remove the plastic snorkel plug thingy and wait to completely drain, reinstall plastic plug, reinstall drain plug (new washer), use $7 funnel to refill (takes a while) and put in 4.8l, reinstall filter and housing, reinstall battery tray and battery and double check your work, start car and run through the gears and hope for no kaboom.

You can find dsg kits for cheap. Or have Jay do it and save money. Local dealer wanted $600-700 for the 40k service. I saved a ton doing it myself. If I didn’t have time to do it, I would of had Jay do it for me.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Ebay has DSG oil and filter kits for under $90 shipped. All you need is a hose funnel to do the top fill and drain method. Very very easy. If you have the ability to change your own oil, put the car on jack stands and remove your battery you can do this.

Green_GTi

Ready to race!
If you have a MK6 R, make sure you do the Haldex Service. The dealer usually won't to it, as it isn't on the Volkswagen of America service schedule. The Haldex Fluid and filter change is on the European Volkswagen Schedule at 40k US Miles, or 65K, Km.
A Haldex service kit is available from ECS Tuning, or the filter is available from Neuspeed I haven't looked to see if the Haldex Fluid is available from them as well. The Haldex Fluid is available from Volkswagen and Audi Dealers.
The Haldex Fluid is difficult to put into the Haldex unit. The fill point is very small and not easily accessible. If you don't do it correctly, you could end up with most of the new fluid dripping down your elbow.
Do some research on how to do the change on the Generation 4 Haldex (note, the Haldex is Generation 4, not the car).

Last edited:

gdub09

Ready to race!
Yeah I honestly don't know why they charge so much but it is what it is. After seeing it done, I was like yeah that's easy. If you know your way around a wrench you could it, Jaber isn't very far off from how to do it. We do it from the bottom drain plug. I remember doing my TSX, drain it, funnel in trans tube, dump fluid in, easy lol.