GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 GTi vs 335xi?

CDUBBGTI91

Go Kart Champion
"Worlds best driver with manual< worlds worst driver with dsg lol"

^^^ it's apparent you haven't been to/done a track day before :lol:

Sorry I'm referring to a straight line race from a roll.

Bruno2000

Ready to race!
A stage1 couldnt keep up for more that 2-3s on a 30 roll against the 335xi. A stage2 could keep up for more long, but will surely get pull by the 335xi passed ... lets guess it, around 100-110mph. higher HPS numbers, bigger turbos.

About the Dsg vs Manual.

I think both are awesome, I prefer manual, I really think it more hardcore, more sporty.
But the dsg still deliver on the needs of the driver compared to a standard automatic box.

As a side note; For the biggest surprised of the entirely Gti time to date for me, I played against a G35 supercharged with more that 370 hps. We did 3 runs. It was a dead even, tied, to a 30 roll to 100 mph. What a surprise! After 100, it started to slowly pull, not a surprise.

If I can do it with a stage2, I think it could be possible on a 30 roll run against a stock 335xi to pull a bit in the first 5-6 sec, but the 335xi will catch up later, at higher speed.

prospal

Ready to race!
you have a $400 service every 40k...plus it should really be done at closer intervals when you rag on it a little bit...any way you slice it, it is still an automatic and takes some of the joy out of driving(for certain types of people)...this gen of the dsg has been pretty solid compared to the older generations, and it is a good transmission, but i still dont want one

OP...the steptronic is still a plain old slush box auto with lots of power sucked out. That combined with the AWD loss, and you have a slight shot from a roll...any other 335 and you would have no chance

Can we get over the DSG vs. 6MT shit already, jesus effing christ

SteveMD

Ready to race!
Also keep in mind that for $350 you can give your 335i about 70 more rear wheel. It's the first mod for most N54 owners. It's all I have - see my sig.

Point being, a stock 335i may be rare these days.

I'll have a Stage 1 in my GTI in a few weeks. I'll set up a race and tape it although mine isn't a AWD.

Randum

Go Kart Champion
I think we need some vids and some track days with these two cars. Given the 335xi stock vs tuned GTI, stage 1 and 2.

Walile

The intent of this thread is not about armchair racing. I had my mind set on getting the 335xi. A good combo of luxury, performance, and winter traction. But at the end decided to go with a two car setup. GTi will be my personal car and I will get another car from work. End up costing me less than the 335.

Obviously I don't expect a stage 1 GTi to match the performance of 335. But I do hope that a stage 1 GTi can come close to the feel of a 335xi.

CDUBBGTI91

Go Kart Champion
The intent of this thread is not about armchair racing. I had my mind set on getting the 335xi. A good combo of luxury, performance, and winter traction. But at the end decided to go with a two car setup. GTi will be my personal car and I will get another car from work. End up costing me less than the 335.

Obviously I don't expect a stage 1 GTi to match the performance of 335. But I do hope that a stage 1 GTi can come close to the feel of a 335xi.

If that's the case you'll love your GTI. It may not be as fast as the 335xi but it will definately be fast enough (after stage 1) to keep you happy :thumbup: stage 2 will be plenty and you can always go ko4 when the time is right lol.

Jacuzzi

Ready to race!
What's there to maintain with the DSG? I've read plenty threads on here where the manual clutch is always slipping and having to be replaced lol.

And great quote I love to live my life a 1/4 mile at a time to eventually get me miles ahead in life :thumbup: hahahahahaha

There is a LOT going on in the DSG. It has 2 clutches and a mechatronic unit to move the selectors...it is extremely complicated. I didn't get one simply because I enjoy the driving experience of a manual. That being said, you can drive harder with a DSG as you have less of your limited brain power dedicated to shifting properly, especially under braking (mental overhead). It's an impressive piece of engineering but it is certainly more complex than a manual.