GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Notchy" Shifter

crzystve42

Ready to race!
For the last 6 months or so my shifter has been very "notchy". It takes more effort to put it in gear and its the main cause for grinding (primarily third). I have noticed that if I have the clutch in, shift to a gear, back to neutral, and then back to that same gear the notch is gone. Any advice on what could be causing it?

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
Ive had the same issue for a couple of months.

People have said to realign the shifting cables since over time they stretch. Going into first gear for me is always notchy. Like there is a little bump before being fully in first gear.

And when i turn the car off sometimes im locked out of first. I have to go into 2nd then back into 1st

Elchinophil

Ready to race!
Same here. With winter here it only makes it more notchy until the gears warm up. I also have a diesel geek short shifter. It doesnt remove the notchy just reduces throw :( I love to see this noychyness go away if someone can figure it out.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
This dude on here swears by redline mtl

He says it has some special additive that the vw synchros love

iPanir123

Go Kart Champion
Wow I guess this is a common problem. I've had this problem for a couple thousand miles now and it's mainly in 3rd gear. Lately it's been also in reverse and first gear though, it feel a like something is in the way and you have to break through it when you shift. It will also occasionally grind a gear. Glad to know I'm not the only one

barney91

Passed Driver's Ed
Just get the OEM+ bushing upgrades off USP motorsports, sorts it a treat.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Those bushings have nothing to do with this problem.

I have the same notchyness, and as of recently a third gear grind on harder shifts. I'm hoping it's just the cold weather.

Neuspeed short shifter (front to back)
Forge short side to side linkage
FFE bracket bushings
42DD cable bushings
Southbend prototype pressure plate and stage 3 disk

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Guise, it's all cold weather related. If you're having the problem in summer, then there's an issue.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I had some before the TyrolSport shifter bracket bushings. They just make your motions at the shift lever more direct at the tranny. Less bracket movement means more of the forces are concentrated on the shift arm. So while there's still a little notch, it's much easier to push through.

dopedpanda

Ready to race!
What fluid are you guys rocking guys?

I have had extremely many problems with my 02Q gearbox, and its very common in colder climates, that not even the G052171A2 fluid from the factory is good in those conditions. Notchy gear is cured in these areas with some special fluid (example is castrol syntrans !B! 75W)

Gearboxes are still holding strong (some with way over 300bhp and going strong on 200.000km+)

After i installed my dieselgeek my car also got a little more stiff, but as long as its not inside the gearbox everything is fine in my eyes. Short shift will always change the way it feels (even though it is only for the main driver, while everyone other will say its fine)

DDKing13

Ready to race!
I dont think this is a cold weather problem. My shifter getsnotchy as well, and I live in LA.
Just reset your shift cables. 99% positive it will fix your issue.

dopedpanda

Ready to race!
Nope. I think its my cables that need to be aligned.

Always start cheap places, make the adjustment, doesn´t cost anything (besides a nail or something like that and some time)

If that don´t work out i would change the oil (think i would do it anyway just to be safe)