GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

GTR_Killer

Go Kart Champion
Has to be done at normal engine running Temps between 194F to 220F. Run it until it reaches temp, then test it.

Disconnect the injector harness and leave the plugs in on the other cylinders while turning it over.

Disconnect injector harness? So fuel doesn't get squirted in i assume? I've never thought about that. I just remove all the coil packs and let her rip when i do compression test. Just keep the ignition turned over till the needle wont climb any more. Hasnt failed me yet.

So what have i missed in the past ~1.5months. Cliff notes anyone?

kern417

Go Kart Champion
etuners finally got back to me. they think that all of my issues would have been solved if i had flashed back to stock before the initial flash. that actually makes sense because it is doing all of the same retarded stuff that it was doing before and most likely they don't change those parameters in their flash, so it was still fucked from how DM left it. we'll see. going to flash back to stock and send it in for another base tune.

Don®

Ready to race!
Disconnect injector harness? So fuel doesn't get squirted in i assume? I've never thought about that. I just remove all the coil packs and let her rip when i do compression test. Just keep the ignition turned over till the needle wont climb any more. Hasnt failed me yet.

So what have i missed in the past ~1.5months. Cliff notes anyone?
Right, you don't want any chances for fuel to enter the chamber under compression that would otherwise cause false positive readings from wetting the rings, and secondly, you don't want them running dry if you choose to pull the fuse on the fuel pump when they open up and release the fuel left over from the rail.

james9120

Go Kart Champion
So I just passed the one year mark of being big turbo [emoji106] still alive lol. Roughl 15000K later too

Last edited:

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i think my 2 year was in may but my 1 year of functioning properly-ish was may too lol. i've put on close to 15k since then too i believe, i drive it a lot less now that i have a daily. i'm really hoping flashing back to stock and then getting etuners tune will fix my remaining issues.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
My 1 year is also this month. 20k miles. Still really happy with the setup and don't really have any other plans besides getting some stuff painted that is covered in rock chips, a set of Hoosiers, and maybe an Accusump over winter.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i'm pumped to be done. brakes and bushings this winter + motor refresh and i should be good for a long time besides maintenance.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Yo guys haven't been around in awhile but I got a question. My car has been sitting for around a year. Hasn't been started or anything. I want to get it back on the road just curious if there is anything special I should do. Gas is the main thing I'm concerned about. There isn't much in the tank about 1/4. I never put stabilizer in it so is it necessary to siphon it or would I be straight just filling it up? The oil was changed a few hundred miles before the car sitting should the oil be changed?

kern417

Go Kart Champion
should be fine. mine sat for 6 months and sputtered some but i limped to the closest gas station (no boost) and filled up with premium. leaving the station it was purring. you'll probably need to get some rotations in the tires if they have a flat spot too. and check your battery.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
should be fine. mine sat for 6 months and sputtered some but i limped to the closest gas station (no boost) and filled up with premium. leaving the station it was purring. you'll probably need to get some rotations in the tires if they have a flat spot too. and check your battery.

yea tires Im sure have flat spots...I ordered a Braille lightweight AGM battery cause I still had the original OEM battery and it was shot before the car sat. Actually the main reason it has been sitting. Battery wouldn't hold a charge and I got tired of jumping it every time I wanted to drive it so a week turned into a month turned into a few months etc.

Anything new and exciting come out in the last year?

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Very little. Turning into a ghost town in here actually.

I did a bunch of drunken burnouts in my friends driveway this past weekend that can be seen on instagram if that's new.. :laugh: I'm just beating this hell out of mine until I find something else that intrigues me.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
yeah most everybody got their setups and are just enjoying it seems. going to replace my tensioner(s) to see if that fixes my rattle noises and go from there.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
I'd love to enjoy my setup, but I've had too many issues and zero time to work on it.

Having serious flutter on boost onset and late spool as a result (25psi by 5200rpm, gtx3071r on a .82 housing). Going to pull the WG and trying upping the spring, despite having a 17psi spring in there currently. (Tail MVS)

After a clutch disk delaminating, a balance shaft seizing, and a turbo going out, i'm obviously a bit over all this fucking pointless work.

Thinking about parting and buying a mk7, or something old with a v8 and act like a redneck for a few years.