GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM Intercooler Efficiency Discussion

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
I have been saying this for a long time.

As soon as you go WOT IATs start coming down almost instantly. I saw very little if any difference between stock IC and aftermarket IC on my ko4. The biggest difference was throttle response improved a good deal with the aftermarket IC but actual IATs @ WOT and speed at which those temps came down @ WOT didn't change much at all.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
I have been saying this for a long time.

As soon as you go WOT IATs start coming down almost instantly. I saw very little if any difference between stock IC and aftermarket IC on my ko4. The biggest difference was throttle response improved a good deal with the aftermarket IC but actual IATs @ WOT and speed at which those temps came down @ WOT didn't change much at all.

Im confused by this as his graphs tell a separate story. There is a 23F IAT increase after a 4th gear WOT pull on the stock turbo.

FriggenT1

Banned
Yeah but with just a intercooler there is no potential failure besides a popped hose.

With WMI if the injector seizes or continues to dump or the solenoid stops pumpuing or you run out.

To many potential issues with WMI for some people.

I'm not suggesting running a race file, but just cooling purposes, safety, etc. There's a lot of benefits there. A good wmi does have possible failures, but less chance of then when a good kit is used.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Didn't really look at the graphs and I don't care to either. I am speaking about what I see in real world. It is pretty simple watch IATs and drive around. As soon as you start accelerating IATs start coming down.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Didn't really look at the graphs and I don't care to either. I am speaking about what I see in real world. It is pretty simple watch IATs and drive around. As soon as you start accelerating IATs start coming down.

But they come down quicker on the nicer inter coolers?

exedotbat

Ready to race!
Yeah but with just a intercooler there is no potential failure besides a popped hose.

With WMI if the injector seizes or continues to dump or the solenoid stops pumpuing or you run out.

To many potential issues with WMI for some people.

This really only matters if your using WMI for octane boost and running a higher octane file. If you are using WMI strictly for cooling, you can deal with most failures. Only failure I could see being a problem would be if it was spraying without a demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk