GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TTE420 for TSI

Charles@NGP

Ready to race!
To me it really just depends on your goals and how you drive.

If you like more low-end torque and instant spool, the TTE420 is going to do that better. If you like more top-end power, a GT/GTX turbo is going to do that better.

Turbos like the TTE420 and the various Loba Motorsport K04 based turbos tend to shake things up a bit when compared to a GT/GTX turbo because they're able to generate and hold more boost up top. You then have a turbo that generates significant torque down low to get you out of the hole, but also doesn't fade off when you hit a long straight. It's still not going to have the same top-end as a GT/GTX turbo, but it does give you more headroom than a normal K04.

Personally, I prefer the huge wall of torque that you get down low with the modified K04 turbos. With the proper ability to put that power down you have the best possible setup for the track or your favorite twisty backroads. For FWD cars I highly recommend getting a limited slip differential with one of these hybrid turbos, especially if you're like me and you love launching the crap out of your car. Of course a 4motion swap isn't too horribly difficult either IMHO if you can spare the cash ;).

drepai

Go Kart Champion

Here are the graphs from APR's website overlaid.

red/white lines - stage 3 gtx2867r
green lines - tte420

both on a golf r on 93 octane taken at the wheels.

There's not a big difference in spool between the two and I bet the gtx has better transient response. Considering how much headroom you get with the 2867 I think it's pretty obvious which is better. It really boils down to $$$.

FriggenT1

Banned

green lines - tte420

There's not a big difference in spool between the two and I bet the gtx has better transient response. Considering how much headroom you get with the 2867 I think it's pretty obvious which is better. It really boils down to $$$.

Right, but that's only APR, it's not completely fair to compare either without being custom tuned...that's where both will show their true ability right off I found this video which makes 405 whp and 564 nm tq which looks like 416 ft lbs. This was on stock internals, and is still a bolt on basically plug and plug turbo. I saw the apr kit which was 6k...I guess I was looking at the right one. Imo the TTE is pretty good bang for buck....OR keep a k04 p&p, run wmi and still make close to 400 whp.

Last edited:

s word

Ready to race!
Right, but that's only APR, it's not completely fair to compare either without being custom tuned...that's where both will show their true ability right off I found this video which makes 405 whp and 564 nm tq which looks like 416 ft lbs. This was on stock internals, and is still a bolt on basically plug and plug turbo. I saw the apr kit which was 6k...I guess I was looking at the right one. Imo the TTE is pretty good bang for buck....OR keep a k04 p&p, run wmi and still make close to 400 whp.

I think that Andres comparison is pretty darn fair. Comparing two graphs from the same tuner from likely the same dyno, the combination of many many pulls, won't get much cleaner than that. The GTX28 is able to produce more power than the APR graph shows as well. So a custom tune will just raise the bar for both turbos, the GTX would have more headroom.

But the point was that peak values may compare in graph, the characteristics of power later in RPMs is completely different. The K04 always has a dive at the end. I have had both K04 and GTX28. I'll keep the GTX over K04.

No doubt is this a powerful semi-budget option to make gobs of power, characteristically it won't be the same as a GTX.

Without fueling or meth I would hesitate to hit those numbers.

FriggenT1

Banned
I think that Andres comparison is pretty darn fair. Comparing two graphs from the same tuner from likely the same dyno, the combination of many many pulls, won't get much cleaner than that. The GTX28 is able to produce more power than the APR graph shows as well. So a custom tune will just raise the bar for both turbos, the GTX would have more headroom.

But the point was that peak values may compare in graph, the characteristics of power later in RPMs is completely different. The K04 always has a dive at the end. I have had both K04 and GTX28. I'll keep the GTX over K04.

No doubt is this a powerful semi-budget option to make gobs of power, characteristically it won't be the same as a GTX.

Without fueling or meth I would hesitate to hit those numbers.

6k vs a little over 2k is quite a bit though

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Right, but that's only APR, it's not completely fair to compare either without being custom tuned...that's where both will show their true ability right off I found this video which makes 405 whp and 564 nm tq which looks like 416 ft lbs.

So you're saying that comparing random dyno graphs from across the internet is better than comparing two graphs from the same tuner on the same car on the same dyno with the same correction factor? :confused: The main thing to take away from that comparison is spool.

Like s word said if we're talking about maxing out the turbo then the gtx has a lot more headroom than the tte. Garrett rates it at 475hp but our motors usually surpass those ratings because of the efficiency of our di system.

This was on stock internals,

Why does that matter? Healthy stock internals won't make more power than a built motor

and is still a bolt on basically plug and plug turbo. I saw the apr kit which was 6k...I guess I was looking at the right one. Imo the TTE is pretty good bang for buck....

The APR kit comes with software, an intake, downpipe and other things. Apples to oranges my dude.

A gtx setup will be much more expensive than a tte420 obviously but in terms of efficiency there's no contest imo. There's almost no difference in spool and at the same power level I'm confident that a motor with a free flowing manifold and gtx2867 will be much happier than a tte240.

The headroom is also nice to have and well worth the money imo, upgrading turbo setups is expensive and people usually end up wanting more.

OR keep a k04 p&p, run wmi and still make close to 400 whp.

:confused: Since when?

edit: where can I find a tte420 for 2k? Seems like a decent budget option but usp is selling them for almost 2700 before shipping. Other sites are ~2360 usd but I wonder what it comes out to after international shipping and tax

Last edited:

FriggenT1

Banned
So you're saying that comparing random dyno graphs from across the internet is better than comparing two graphs from the same tuner on the same car on the same dyno with the same correction factor? :confused: The main thing to take away from that comparison is spool.

Like s word said if we're talking about maxing out the turbo then the gtx has a lot more headroom than the tte. Garrett rates it at 475hp but our motors usually surpass those ratings because of the efficiency of our di system.

Why does that matter? Healthy stock internals won't make more power than a built motor

The APR kit comes with software, an intake, downpipe and other things. Apples to oranges my dude.

A gtx setup will be much more expensive than a tte420 obviously but in terms of efficiency there's no contest imo. There's almost no difference in spool and at the same power level I'm confident that a motor with a free flowing manifold and gtx2867 will be much happier than a tte240.

The headroom is also nice to have and well worth the money imo, upgrading turbo setups is expensive and people usually end up wanting more.

:confused: Since when?

edit: where can I find a tte420 for 2k? Seems like a decent budget option but usp is selling them for almost 2700 before shipping. Other sites are ~2360 usd but I wonder what it comes out to after international shipping and tax

Firstly, aren't you selling all your shit to begin with? What are you, trying to advertise?

Secondly, I don't know why you want to jump all over my posts only, but whatever.

USP is high on their products, or in my experience at least. I also never said 2k, I said a little over 2k. 2300 is a lot cheaper than 6k, 2600 is a lot cheaper than 6k. If you do some actual shopping around, you'd find them for that price, but it wouldn't suit your agenda right now to do that I realize.

APR to my knowledge does not sell the tte, but does sell the gtx kits. It would obviously be in their best interests to push that product a little more than one they do not sell directly, and thus make nothing off of it.

The dynos were obviously not done on the same day, they could've been months or even years apart . The funny thing is when it suits ones argument, this is quickly brought up though huh? Even the same dynos have to be calibrated or worked on sometimes do they not? So both could be higher or lower right?

The tte is simply a stock framed turbo, it doesn't even require one to have the intake and DP (I know, I know apr says so). In all actuality one could run just the turbo with a very mild tune, and turn things up as finances allow if they have an AP, or eurodyne and pay Andy 100.00 to set it low. However, I think many who consider either above option, usually do so after having either a stage 2, k04, f23, etc and likely have many of the mods required already. Though I don't believe all intakes and DPs can be reused on the gtx kits, so you're actually OUT more money for this reason. On the other hand, a k04 user can send their k04 out and have it converted to a tte for less than 2k so they can still make use of their old turbo.

If there's more headroom, that's great for the gtx, I don't care, and have considered both options for myself. I don't really want to have to convert a bunch of stuff over for a BT when I can use all I currently have and just buy the damn turbo for 2300-2600 (that make you feel better?).

As far as adding a free flowing manifold... well IE added one to their k04 and made 337/442 with a k04, so what will that do for the tte? That's another 900.00 we just tacked onto the price though.

We also know APR ALWAYS tells the truth http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3761751-My-APR-Stage-3-dyno-runs#/topics/3761751?_k=hjei8v (not for dyno reference, but for APRs numbers vs other dynos for those NOT working for APR and not advertising).

As for the k04, didn't our very own Hyde make 375 hp on a p&p k04 (on 100 oct)? Isn't that close to 400 whp, or is my math off here? So even though it's on meth, it's still close to 400...and some meth kits are what? 450$ ish?

Both great turbos, well respected companies that have a reputation for quality, but if we're relying solely on APR'S numbers...I'm highly sceptical.

Last edited:

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!

green lines - tte420

Any chance you could add an APR K04 trace to this graph? The torque hole below 4000 RPM to avoid compressor surge should become apparent.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Firstly, aren't you selling all your shit to begin with? What are you, trying to advertise?

Secondly, I don't know why you want to jump all over my posts only, but whatever.

USP is high on their products, or in my experience at least. I also never said 2k, I said a little over 2k. 2300 is a lot cheaper than 6k, 2600 is a lot cheaper than 6k. If you do some actual shopping around, you'd find them for that price, but it wouldn't suit your agenda right now to do that I realize.

APR to my knowledge does not sell the tte, but does sell the gtx kits. It would obviously be in their best interests to push that product a little more than one they do not sell directly, and thus make nothing off of it.

The dynos were obviously not done on the same day, they could've been months or even years apart . The funny thing is when it suits ones argument, this is quickly brought up though huh? Even the same dynos have to be calibrated or worked on sometimes do they not? So both could be higher or lower right?

The tte is simply a stock framed turbo, it doesn't even require one to have the intake and DP (I know, I know apr says so). In all actuality one could run just the turbo with a very mild tune, and turn things up as finances allow if they have an AP, or eurodyne and pay Andy 100.00 to set it low. However, I think many who consider either above option, usually do so after having either a stage 2, k04, f23, etc and likely have many of the mods required already. Though I don't believe all intakes and DPs can be reused on the gtx kits, so you're actually OUT more money for this reason. On the other hand, a k04 user can send their k04 out and have it converted to a tte for less than 2k so they can still make use of their old turbo.

If there's more headroom, that's great for the gtx, I don't care, and have considered both options for myself. I don't really want to have to convert a bunch of stuff over for a BT when I can use all I currently have and just buy the damn turbo for 2300-2600 (that make you feel better?).

As far as adding a free flowing manifold... well IE added one to their k04 and made 337/442 with a k04, so what will that do for the tte? That's another 900.00 we just tacked onto the price though.

We also know APR ALWAYS tells the truth http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3761751-My-APR-Stage-3-dyno-runs#/topics/3761751?_k=hjei8v (not for dyno reference, but for APRs numbers vs other dynos for those NOT working for APR and not advertising).

As for the k04, didn't our very own Hyde make 375 hp on a p&p k04 (on 100 oct)? Isn't that close to 400 whp, or is my math off here? So even though it's on meth, it's still close to 400...and some meth kits are what? 450$ ish?

Both great turbos, well respected companies that have a reputation for quality, but if we're relying solely on APR'S numbers...I'm highly sceptical.

No sir, I'd sell my car at the right price but otherwise I'm keeping it.

I replied to your post only because there are some major flaws in your thinking. You obviously don't want to hear it so there's no reason to have an internet fight.

Anyways, there's more than enough info out there for people to make their own decisions.

Any chance you could add an APR K04 trace to this graph? The torque hole below 4000 RPM to avoid compressor surge should become apparent.

I could but the graphs above are from an FSI so it's not really a great comparison