108.4 KB · Views: 3,950

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
i know.. those bastards..

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
Lemme know where you see a "decent" used 135i for the same price as a GTI ($23,500 in my case). I can at that point kick my own ass for buying the GTI.

elbles

Passed Driver's Ed
Like toady, I cross-shopped the GTI and the 128i, though the only 1-series models I got to drive were both 135is. It was ultimately a tough decision, but I'll give some of my thoughts of the subject, in case they happen to be relevant.

First off, the interiors. I found the GTI's to have a nicer look and feel to it, though both were very high quality interiors, and certainly better than anything Japanese in this price range. The seats were very comfortable in both, with maybe a barely perceptible edge to the BMW in comfort, though the GTI's looked a lot better. :D Premium stereo for premium stereo, the GTI has a huge lead there, which was a fairly big deal to me.

Exteriors are pretty subjective, but I like the 1-series a little more. I've never been a big hatchback fan; I'm still not, honestly. But the GTI does something for me. The 1-series does a little bit more, especially considering that it's available in coupe form. And though I realize I'm in the minority, I think the 1-series coupe looks a million times better than the current 3-series coupe (which looks friggin' huge in person, and ill-proportioned). Even with the preggers' belly of the 1, it still looks better than the 3.

The most important aspect of a car for an enthusiast is how it drives, and here's where it got weird for me. The 135i was definitely the faster car, but fun isn't always fast, and faster isn't always more fun. The GTI's chassis and suspension felt a little more playful to me, and didn't sacrifice ride comfort to do so. And this is coming from someone who's always been a huge RWD fan. I vowed that after graduating college, getting a job, and having the lease on my Impreza ending, I'd get another RWD car (my first car was a 240SX), but the GTI changed my mind here.

As for your current situation, if it were me, it wouldn't even be a decision, because I can't do used cars unless they're immaculate, and I do mean immaculate. If it were new vs. new at the same price, it'd still be a tough decision for me, even with the surplus of power in the 135i. Once you take the price differential into account, the GTI takes a huge lead in grins per dollar, in my book.

All of that said, the 1-series is my favorite of the current BMWs, by far. I wasn't even alive when the 2002 was new, but I think the 1-series will be analogous to the 2002 for my generation. I'd take a 135i with a LSD (hell, even a 128i with a LSD) over the E90 M3--and a pristine E30 M3 over both of them, hah. :drool:

Awry

Ready to race!
To those who have driving both, how do the steering compare? I've heard BMWs have great steering.

I've driven both and the steering in the BMW has more feel to it. It's a bit sportier and slightly heavier. You definitely feel more connected to the road. There's also some difference between the electronic and hydrolic servo steering. I also tried two E90's with different servo steering. The older E90 had hydrolic powered steering and that had a tad more feel but seemed a bit slower then the electronic one. I think most newer BMWs has electronic now. Anyway both still had better steering then the Golf. Since the front wheels only has to do the steering the BMW will steer better.

trueman

Passed Driver's Ed
As a coincidence I had never seen a 135 coupe until today but it looked and sounded fantastic. Here however they are 40% dearer then GTI new.:confused:

Marvin

Ready to race!
BMW will never sell hatchbacks in North America. And the hatch 1-series is even uglier than the coupé.

In early 2004 when the 1 series first came out (I think) I drove the first one that came into my local BMW dealership. Admittedly, right from the start, I wasn't keen on the styling or that overlong bonnet (hood you call it in th US) and the very vertical grill.
However the actual driving made my mind up. There is simply NOT enough space inside this car for someone 6 feet plus tall. The pedals on the manual I drove were too close together and felt offset and there was no room to the side of the clutch pedal.
There was also limited room in the rear of this car and access was awkward. Apart from being able, costwise, to get on the BMW ownership ladder, there was no way that I was going to spend my hard earned money on one of these cars.

I was most disappointed with it and looks-wise it is a definite no, no, no.

I went on to order and take delivery, 10 weeks later a brand new MK5 Golf 1.6FSI 'SE' and was very pleased with that for nearly five years.

FN in MT

Ready to race!
elbles,

Good post. Thought you would find my buying experience amusing.

I test drove a GTI last week after driving a 98 325i that was very clean, lo mileage, etc. The GTI reminded me more of my old BMW 2002's from forty years back than the BMW did. And for me at 6'-3" tall a more comfortable interior. The GTI impressed me so much I bought it.

The 2002's were simply amazing little sedans especially considering WHEN they reigned. The typical commuter/family car was a 6 cyl or V-8, usually heavy, poor drum brakes, interiors were huge but not very comfortable or DRIVER friendly. Headlamp Dimmer switches weres still on the FLOOR. Steering and handling for the vast majority would be scary by todays standards. The view outside was generally diminished by how low you sat in some cars as well as various pillars,tall seats and even the dashboard itself.

The 2002's afforded the driver a more "heads up"|sort of driving style,with very good view all around. The seat and cockpit were well layed out and very user friendly. Handling , acceleration, braking and general road manners were much better than the average American car. It was IMHO the ultimate commuter car of that time.

The GTI really brought me back to my 2002 experience. Go Kart flickability , revvy 4 cyl, great gear box, comfy seats that hold you IN, good view all around, etc.

FN in MT

Way back when... 1969 dk blue 2002, then several yrs later bought a brand new 1976 2002. All stick shift cars. The 76 had Cibie driving lites,big Super Oscars and KONI's all around. Cutting edge stuff back then. LOL.

joema2

Ready to race!
To those who have driving both, how do the steering compare? I've heard BMWs have great steering.
I own a supercharged '03 330i with Dinan stage 2 suspension, and an '10 GTI 6-speed. I've driven a sport-package-equipped 335i several times.

The GTI handles very well, especially after I switched to Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 summer tires. There's some wheel hop under some conditions but various suspension fixes for that available. Torque steer is almost non-existent.

That said the 330i and 335i are in another class regarding handling. They have balanced 50/50 weight distribution. Steering feel, turn in, transient response and body motion control is better than the GTI (stock). With Pilot Sport PS2s on both BMW and GTI, BMW interior noise and road noise is lower.

That said the GTI suspension can be upgraded cost effectively to be much better.

You must also differentiate between feeling faster vs going faster. In a stock configuration (no supercharger, no Dinan suspension) my 330i felt faster than my GTI. However I'm not sure on a road course it would actually lap faster. The GTI just has a different way of getting around corners.

The 135/335 twin-turbo engine is very impressive. In a stock configuration, acceleration is *way* faster than the GTI. Of course the GTI can be upgraded inexpensively to be much faster. OTOH it's harder to get that increased hp to the ground with front wheel drive.

The BMW is a more refined, smoother driving experience, yet still very sporty. With the factory sport package they deliver the best ride/handling tradeoff I've experienced.

Without the sport package the 1- and 3-series don't handle quite as sharply, so you must be very specific about how the car is equipped and what tires are on it. There's a big difference between ultra-high-perf all season vs summer tires. The summer tires handle much better.

Maintenance on BMWs is usually not bad until you get around 80k miles. At around that mileage, various items (alternator, cooling system, brakes, control arms, etc) can require replacement which can be very expensive. I don't know about the 335i (e90) or 135i (e82).

The non-M BMWs don't have mechanical limited slip differentials. This can cause a fair amount of wheel spin in some conditions. A less expensive rear-wheel-drive competitor is the Infiniti G37S, which has factory mechanical limited slip and available manual transmission.

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
Yea why pay all that money for a BMW badge when u could have a golf of civic for less

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Lots of insightful responses here.

I only just started looking at a 135i, and dont know that much about it other than the specs of the car. The GTI is much better all around car IMO, and has much lower cost of ownership than any BMW would I assume. I was just getting some fellow GTI fans' opinions. Yes, a used 135 for the same price as a GTI may have some issues, which scares me a lot. So for now I'll stick with the GTI and maybe look at a 1 or 3-series down the road when I have a little more money to throw around. I like the GTI interior a lot better btw... I was just attracted to the RWD and 300 hp/ft-lb... not so much the perceived social status and service costs :p

Cool. Yeah, the GTI seems like a good fit for you.

Go drive them both and report back on your impressions.