GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sherlock's Spirited Daily

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
Well I thought it was about time to start a build thread for my car. It may not be the most amazing GTI out there but it's my GTI and it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. It's an '11 I got new in May of '11. My first mod, Maganflow cat back, came 5 months later and it all went down hill from there. It has come a long way from stock and it handles and feels great to drive, especially in the twisties. I do track the car lightly at the occasional auto-x and it does surprise people.

My car completely stock.

DSC01026 by Sherlock997, on Flickr

Well it's on to the mods then...

Engine
APR catback exhaust
USP 3" Catted Downpipe
APR Stage 2
APR Carbonio intake w/ stage 2 pipe
S3 Intercooler
Neuspeed Turbo Discharge Pipe
Neuspeed Throttle Body Pipe
Spuleen Torque Arm Insert

Brakes
Stoptech Street Performance Pads
Neuspeed SS Brake Lines
Motul RBF 660 Brake Fluid

Transmission
SB Stage 3 drop in disk
S3 Short Shifter
42 Draft Designs Sifter Bushings

Suspension/Chassis
H&R SS Coilovers
Unibrace XB

Visual/Performance
Rear Seat Delete
P3 Cars Boost Gauge
OEM Front Lip
OEM R20 Tail Lights
Red grill strips re-vinyled gunmetal
GolfMk6 sticker on rear windshield
Mk6 Plaid wrapped rear-view mirror
Mk6 Plaid rear badge insert

Wheels & Tires
Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Positon 225/40/18
Neuspeed Rse12 Gunmetal

As it sits now. I am 24 and 3/4th ftg all around.

Mods I'd like to complete in the future...

H&R 24mm Rear Sway
Unibrace UB
Maybe K04 (I have been tempted recently)
Bi-Xenon Headlights
LSD :)

Last edited:

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
Finally got my Intercooler and my wheels in! Put the wheels on yesterday and it's is a huge improvement to the overall look of the car. It's noticeably faster too. Huge thanks to allset. Going to lower the rear a tad in the morning. Now I need tint...

Last edited:

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
I must say I am liking the color more and more everyday. It actually compliments the black nicely. I redid the grill stripes the same color. Don't ask me what color the vinyl is because I came across it randomly at a local vinyl shop. I noticed the color of the wheels are very similar to that of the lower valence on the gti.

GeorgeHill

Ready to race!
I have the same coilovers. I'm @ 24.5" FTG and I'm rubbing a lot in the front! Did you did the fender screw mod?

btw... I have the same wheels but in 19" (RSe14) in Hyper Black!
Your car looks on point!

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
I have the same coilovers. I'm @ 24.5" FTG and I'm rubbing a lot in the front! Did you did the fender screw mod?

btw... I have the same wheels but in 19" (RSe14) in Hyper Black!
Your car looks on point!

Thanks! So does yours. Yes I did do the fender screw mod and had my fenders rolled. I am running a 225 tire not a 235 so that may have something to do with it. I've herd people with a 235 tire rub.

Last edited:

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
I recently installed the S3 intercooler that was sitting in my garage. The install wasn't as hard as I thought it would be there were just so many screws and it takes a while to take it all apart and put it back together. It helps a lot if you have someone helping you. I did trim my hoses. As for a difference I noticed that there is slightly more turbo lag but during the day, especially in the Florida summer heat, I noticed a power gain and it didn't have heat soak nearly as bad as when it was the stock intercooler. Overall I'd say it was worth it especially for 200. Thanks to OldSchoolVW for the great deal on the intercooler.

Untitled by Sherlock997, on Flickr

Untitled by Sherlock997, on Flickr

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
oh yeah I remember that intercooler, it came down from helen to tampa in my car :D I gotta get myself one or a golf R one eventually. Did you cut your stock hoses?

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
Haha I can't thank you enough for bringing it back from SOWO with you. Yeha I cut the stock hoses. I did it at ackly's and he helped with the install.

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
I'm not sure what to do next. I could get a DP and turbo outlet pipe then go stage 2 but I'm happy with my car as is and the only thing that has been really bugging me lately are those ugly Halogen headlights. So I've been contemplating getting the 15 led Ed's reps but I kinda want AFS if I'm going to be swapping them out. I also am having troubles justifying the reps when I could get the P3 boost gauge and the Turbo outlet pipe for bout the same as the rep headlights and be done for now performance wise. Agh Why cant things be cheaper?

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
I recently put int the Neuspeed Turbo outlet and Throttle body pipe. I was impressed with how much of a difference it was. The car feels so much more lively and throttle response is so much better. It also reduces turbo lag so now it's like I'm shifting into boost rather than waiting for it to spool up again an the turbo spools instantly, as if there was any lag before. I will most likely be getting a down pipe and going stage 2 in the near future.

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
Put in an Unibrace XB and it is a huge improvement. The car feels so much more stable through corners and doesn't really plow through them any more. I'll have to see what the real difference is at the next auto x I attend.

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
Any New updates/pics? :D

Haha yes there are actually quite a few updates!!

Upgraded the brakes finally and let me tell you it is a massive improvement! No more brake fade or mushy brakes. I did Neuspeed SS lines with the stop-tech street performance pads and some Motul RBF 660 brake fluid.

I took my back seats out and will probably keep this configuration as i think it looks cool with the brace and it is noticeably quicker. I will post a pic of this later.

I also received a new set of Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Positions and tried a little bit of white lettering on my current outgoing set of Michelin PSS because i hadn't seen anyone do it on these cars. If i must say so I really do like the out come and the car actually pulls the look off pretty well. I will probably do the same with the new set of Bridgestones. Let me know what you guys think.

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
Okay a pic of it without the back seats (instagram ftw). Since this pic i have put the spare and stuff back in as well as the carpet but left the seats out. It did clean it up quite a bit.