GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tuning/Chip FAQ Thread: Which One Do I choose?

jesiali

Has anyone heard of ATM tuning ?

They claim to get around 270 hp with just a software upgrade and no hardware add ons..

here is their website

http://www.atm-chiptuning.com/
Well a friend of mine took his car there
They gave him a dyno reading of 278hp and 410nm of torque

I don't think this is true.

This friend tried with a stage 1 golf R from 60 km/h

There are about a cars distance or more when he reached 140 mpre or less

nuggstein

Go Kart Champion
Hi, while I skimmed through this thread I still have some questions.

Can someone explain please to me in detail (for a not-so-knowledgeable) car person about APR Stage 1? I feel like I want to do it, but I don't want to void any warranties. That, I am extremely nervous about. I am never going to go beyond Stage 1. And I'm nervous about damaging the car.

What exactly is done? What does it effect? How much does it typically cost (sale or not). Can it ever be returned to stock? Do any aftermarket parts need to be purchased? How does this improve gas mileage (from what I've read)?

And anything else you can think of.

Thanks...greatly appreciated!

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Hi, while I skimmed through this thread I still have some questions.

Might I suggest this:
https://www.google.com/search?sourc...=APR+Stage+1+Warranty+Issues+site:golfmk6.com

Can someone explain please to me in detail (for a not-so-knowledgeable) car person about APR Stage 1? I feel like I want to do it, but I don't want to void any warranties. That, I am extremely nervous about. I am never going to go beyond Stage 1. And I'm nervous about damaging the car.

Let me put it this way. APR Uses the same principles and engineering fundamentals and practices that we do. Rapid Prototyping, CMM Romer Arm, etc. etc.

I trust nothing else but APR to be the performance parts in my car. I'm currently APR K04 tuned and have had ZERO ZERO ZERO issues with it. APR is strict with their quality standards and customer support. I promise you cant go wrong with them

What exactly is done? What does it effect? How much does it typically cost (sale or not). Can it ever be returned to stock? Do any aftermarket parts need to be purchased? How does this improve gas mileage (from what I've read)?

While trade secrets will never be shared, I will say that certain values are modified within the 3D map. Its not a simple system and it takes LOTS of experience and know how to understand what you're doing.

Some companies run modified maps that act as a "standalone tune". Somewhat. When you modify the component protection you immediately take the ECU out its own fail safe mode and can really do some damage to your engine. APR does not do this, this is why they are regarded as one of the safest tunes out there. Not sure what other companies do this. I'm sure they'll chime in.

You car can be returned to 100% stock if the flash ever needs to be removed.

You do not need to purchase aftermarket parts to run it, but you certainly can get some extra HP out of just a Stage 1 tune and Stage 1 intake. Best bang for the buck ever!

Gas mileage has been reported to go up. However, you must stay sane enough to keep your foot out of it :D I have APR K04 and got 2 MPG better than my stage 1 tune,.......if I can drive it sanely :D

And anything else you can think of.

Thanks...greatly appreciated!

PM me for a bit more details if you're looking to really get into the VAG mod scene. Its quite extensive, but I can try and help point you in the right direction.

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
Sorry if I missed this..

Say i went stage 1 tomorrow, (let's say apr) and paid $600 for stage 1, now in july I get a new down pipe and intake and decide to do stage 2, is stage 2 going to cost another $600?

As a soon to be new owner of a gti that is interested in power, would it be best just to skip stage 1 and go straight to stage 2? I guess the same question applies if I got stage 2 then go ko4 or stage 3+, will instill have to pay another $xxx for a tune?

Or is it Just pay one price and get free upgrades to stage 2/3/3+ as you move along?

Also for those of you with bigger hp/tq numbers, how is the gti in moderate snow (3-6"), do you use snow tires? Run the stock map to limit power? This is a little off topic, but I figure it's sort of relevant.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Sorry if I missed this..

Say i went stage 1 tomorrow, (let's say apr) and paid $600 for stage 1, now in july I get a new down pipe and intake and decide to do stage 2, is stage 2 going to cost another $600?

As a soon to be new owner of a gti that is interested in power, would it be best just to skip stage 1 and go straight to stage 2? I guess the same question applies if I got stage 2 then go ko4 or stage 3+, will instill have to pay another $xxx for a tune?

Or is it Just pay one price and get free upgrades to stage 2/3/3+ as you move along?

Also for those of you with bigger hp/tq numbers, how is the gti in moderate snow (3-6"), do you use snow tires? Run the stock map to limit power? This is a little off topic, but I figure it's sort of relevant.

From stage 1 to stage 2 is a free upgrade. Tuner may charge you, but since they can do it through the ODB port after stage 1, any charges should be minimal.

No discount when going past stage 2. K03, stage 3, and stage 3+ all have the software built into the price. The price is the price.

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
From stage 1 to stage 2 is a free upgrade. Tuner may charge you, but since they can do it through the ODB port after stage 1, any charges should be minimal.

No discount when going past stage 2. K03, stage 3, and stage 3+ all have the software built into the price. The price is the price.

Thanks, that makes sense. I'm not sure why I asked about the turbo packages for tunes, I do recall seeing the tune coming with the packages (well aside from I believe AWE selling a hardware only kit).

Klopus

When it comes to upgrading ECUs I'm a total noob so please bear with me.

For my 2012 manual GTI I'm considerating just Stage 1 upgrade with stock intake, at least initially. I'm thinking about APR since my VW dealer does them.

I know that I'll gain some power and torque which's nice. But what about turbo lag? It's pretty noticeable accelerating from low speed, especially in 2nd gear. Does chipping helps in minimizing turbo lag?

Now what are the gotchas and downsides besides less MPG? Will it affect something standard like, I dunno, clutch or steering or something electrical like alarm or something?

Also if the mod is for octane 93 and I by mistake will forget to switch the program and fill with 91 then what would happen?

Appreciate your help guys!

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I know that I'll gain some power and torque which's nice. But what about turbo lag? It's pretty noticeable accelerating from low speed, especially in 2nd gear. Does chipping helps in minimizing turbo lag?

What turbo lag? You're making full torque at 1800RPMS. Thats nothing to worry over. Unless you go to a bigger turbo (K04, GT20, GT30) you're not going to have it.

Plus, theres a difference between lag and boost threshold. Its been discussed a few times, but that's why K04 is perceived to not have as much lag as the stock IHI VTR501 because its making higher torque at the same RPM as peak boost on the stock turbo.

If you want a more detailed answer, feel free to PM or ask. I can dive a little deeper.

Now what are the gotchas and downsides besides less MPG? Will it affect something standard like, I dunno, clutch or steering or something electrical like alarm or something?

Gotchas? Thats the greatest thing about Stage 1 tuning. There are none. Most of the time you can slap a tune in and never worry about another thing.

Less MPG? If you drive it correctly you'll get better MPG. I got 2MPG better with my K04 as long as I didnt drive it like an ass.

Clutch wont really be affected until Stage 2 and onward. Steering hasnt been an issue when upgrading these vehicles. and the only way to set off an electrical alarm is if the install was not done correctly.

Also if the mod is for octane 93 and I by mistake will forget to switch the program and fill with 91 then what would happen?

Appreciate your help guys!

Depends on the tuner. Normally the car can adjust itself but if the tuning is precise, you'll get some hesitation, misfires, and surging. Just stay cognizant of what octane you're putting in.

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
Depends on the tuner. Normally the car can adjust itself but if the tuning is precise, you'll get some hesitation, misfires, and surging. Just stay cognizant of what octane you're putting in.

again, i apologize if this has been discussed and I missed it, but building off of this..

APR sells their flash and you can get 2,3,4 programs, etc. Now does Stock/91/93/100 come with ALL the tunes, or do you have to pay extra for the 2,3,4 programs? From what I assume is that the $599 APR includes stock/91/93/100 octane tunes, and the 2,3,4 programs are for anti-theft/valet/fault clear.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
again, i apologize if this has been discussed and I missed it, but building off of this..

APR sells their flash and you can get 2,3,4 programs, etc. Now does Stock/91/93/100 come with ALL the tunes, or do you have to pay extra for the 2,3,4 programs? From what I assume is that the $599 APR includes stock/91/93/100 octane tunes, and the 2,3,4 programs are for anti-theft/valet/fault clear.

No problem, we're here to help. THis thread is for questions that will be archived for someone to find later.

Well depends. If you catch APR during a Sale...you spend $599 and get 4 Programs + Fully loaded features. 4 Programs include Stock, 91,93,100, or Valet. Whichever 4 you want to pick. The fully loaded features are the Security lockout, anti theft, fault clear etc. etc.

Currently, I have APR K04 with Stock/91/93/100 Files. I didnt want the Valet file. Plus, I have all the fully loaded features.

If you dont catch their tune on a sale, you get 1 program and no other features. Its not bad because you spend a TINY fee during sale time and get 4 programs + fully loaded ECU if you dont want to wait for another sale to come along. I belive its $150. So in essence, you spend $599 for 1 program. Sale time comes around you spend $150 and you get 3 other programs and the fully loaded features.

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
No problem, we're here to help. THis thread is for questions that will be archived for someone to find later.

Well depends. If you catch APR during a Sale...you spend $599 and get 4 Programs + Fully loaded features. 4 Programs include Stock, 91,93,100, or Valet. Whichever 4 you want to pick. The fully loaded features are the Security lockout, anti theft, fault clear etc. etc.

Currently, I have APR K04 with Stock/91/93/100 Files. I didnt want the Valet file. Plus, I have all the fully loaded features.

If you dont catch their tune on a sale, you get 1 program and no other features. Its not bad because you spend a TINY fee during sale time and get 4 programs + fully loaded ECU if you dont want to wait for another sale to come along. I belive its $150. So in essence, you spend $599 for 1 program. Sale time comes around you spend $150 and you get 3 other programs and the fully loaded features.

thanks for the help. My dealer that I got my GTI at yesterday (seriously, couldn't come in on Monday :mad0259:) is an APR dealer and said to wait until the next sale, they mentioned sometimes APR does a sale around waterfest so I guess we will see.

But I just want to make sure I'm comprehending your post correctly, I can get the apr tune say for 91oct at $599 now, then next sale I can get 91/stock/xx for just $150? I assume it's similar to stage 2 where adding those extra tunes go through OBDII?

and again thanks for all the help grambles.

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
tBut I just want to make sure I'm comprehending your post correctly, I can get the apr tune say for 91oct at $599 now, then next sale I can get 91/stock/xx for just $150? I assume it's similar to stage 2 where adding those extra tunes go through OBDII?

and again thanks for all the help grambles.

You are correct. Purchasing now will give oyu one program. Purchasing during the sale will give you the rest of the package for $150

If you wanted Stage 2 after you are Stage 1, you only charge for labor and its through the OBDII Port.

The first time they tune it, they wil lhave to remove your ECU and open it to bypass the security features then reseal it.

gti7139

hey grambles
I am also new to this forum, i have gone through some threads but still couldn't find the information i am looking for.
from the way of your writing it seems that you are an experinced person. i felt comfortable to you.
i just need your help if you don't mind.
I have a stock 2010 gti, i want to upgrade it to gain more HP, however i am afraid that this upgrade will afect my engine long term life and durability. My home town wether is very hot and dusty wether. i am mostly concerned about engine protection and better mpg. so which performance upgrades do you advice to go to? take in mind the hot and dusty wether.

thanks

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
There's a guy in the middle east running Stage 2 with full supporting mods that is an active forum user here, XXHeartcoreboyXX. Chat with him for the real experience.

In my opinion, there have been many many proven gains for Stage 1 and its supporting mods. If you really want reliability, you can grab an APR intercooler as well to sustain the hot climate over there.

gti7139

There's a guy in the middle east running Stage 2 with full supporting mods that is an active forum user here, XXHeartcoreboyXX. Chat with him for the real experience.

In my opinion, there have been many many proven gains for Stage 1 and its supporting mods. If you really want reliability, you can grab an APR intercooler as well to sustain the hot climate over there.

what do you mean by its supporting mods? do you mean the programs that comes with the sofware?? or additional parts that i have to add??

Is the APR intercooler better than the S3 intercooler? does it fit same as stock intercooler or does it require some modifications??

for stage 1 which brand is better in your opinion?? what about ABT, there is no much discussion about it in the forum??

thanks for your help again