GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
My stupid question:

If I purchase a new rim/snow tire combo ready to mount..is it as easy as just removing my rims and throwing on the new ones? I'm aware of the TPMS sensor. Can I just use the wrench provided with my spare? (I have no experience with putting on new rims or rotating tires, I have however changed flats many times on other vehicles)

That aside..my question is: Do I need an alignment after I mount my new rims?

I put my new wheels on myself having only changed spares on other cars before either. I was stupid when I started, but learned a lot. Your question was on alignment (already answered), but let me also answer some of the other stupid questions I had when I first did this:

0) No TPMS connections on 2012, right? It's rotational inertia sensor, so just press the TPMS reset button in the glovebox once they're at proper PSI so the computer knows what they "look like".

1) Do you have wheel locks? I did, and this was the first car that did. Then I noticed there's a socket key in the hatch to crack the locks.

2) The wrench that comes with the car works, but it's short so low torque for sticky bolts. I picked up a Gorilla extensible wrench:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?make=Gorilla&partnum=PW1&ID=59

with my wheels which made things buttery. You'll need the right size socket too. I forget the size -- that's another stupid question to be asked. :)

3) I'm lazy and don't like holding the wheel on the hub while I thread the first bolt, so I got a wheel hanger guide:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Search/Wheel_Hanger/ES4135/

Yeah, it's a bolt with the head cut off for $15 + S/H, but it makes things much easier and I for one think it's worth it. (See lazy above).

4) Gently tighten the wheel on to start. Then use a torque wrench and torque them down properly in a star pattern to the proper torque specs. (Double check the torque specs for your wheels). After driving 20 miles, re-torque them in case they loosened up any.

Last edited:

ralphykid67

Ready to race!
I put my new wheels on myself having only changed spares on other cars before either. I was stupid when I started, but learned a lot. Your question was on alignment (already answered), but let me also answer some of the other stupid questions I had when I first did this:

0) No TPMS connections on 2012, right? It's rotational inertia sensor, so just press the TPMS reset button in the glovebox once they're at proper PSI so the computer knows what they "look like".

1) Do you have wheel locks? I did, and this was the first car that did. Then I noticed there's a socket key in the hatch to crack the locks.

2) The wrench that comes with the car works, but it's short so low torque for sticky bolts. I picked up a Gorilla extensible wrench:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?make=Gorilla&partnum=PW1&ID=59

with my wheels which made things buttery. You'll need the right size socket too. I forget the size -- that's another stupid question to be asked. :)

3) I'm lazy and don't like holding the wheel on the hub while I thread the first bolt, so I got a wheel hanger guide:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Search/Wheel_Hanger/ES4135/

Yeah, it's a bolt with the head cut off for $15 + S/H, but it makes things much easier and I for one think it's worth it. (See lazy above).

4) Gently tighten the wheel on to start. Then use a torque wrench and torque them down properly in a star pattern to the proper torque specs. (Double check the torque specs for your wheels). After driving 50-100 miles, re-torque them in case they loosened up any.

Thanks for the reply! Torque specs for wheels would be listed in packaging or online I take it? Will be ordering from tirerack. Is that gorilla wrench a torque wrench? I know what a torque wrench is but am relatively ignorant as to which I need for wheels.

Good to know I won't need alignment. I will after I drop it down in the spring though!

BTW I lied about my ONE stupid question apparently. #canofworms

Last edited:

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
Thanks for the reply! Torque specs for wheels would be listed in packaging or online I take it? Will be ordering from tirerack.

Good to know I won't need alignment. I will after I drop it down in the spring though!

I can't remember where I got the torque specs from, whether it was the instructions that came with the wheels or in the VW user manual or both. Dig around in your owner's manual to start. I'm sure the instructions will say something if they want different.

Tire Rack sent good instructions with my wheels, too. They're solid. That reminds me: if you haven't ordered yet, Please make sure to click through to Tire Rack from the GolfMk6 link when you order to support the site!

Link on top of page here:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Also, Sonny@TireRack is the site's customer rep and you can also ask him any questions. He also has a sticky winter tire thread over in the Wheels section if you're into reading more about winter tires and mudflap mods and stuff. :)

One final thing... if you end up with aftermarket bolts, MAKE SURE to keep a set of the OEM bolts in the hatch since the spare tire will need the OEM bolts!

I keep my gorilla wrench and wheel hanger in the hatch too in case of flat, just gotta strap it down.

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
Is that gorilla wrench a torque wrench? I know what a torque wrench is but am relatively ignorant as to which I need for wheels.
BTW I lied about my ONE stupid question apparently. #canofworms

Better to be prepared.

No, Gorilla is essentially a replacement for the stock wrench in the hatch if you feel like it. I prefer the extra leverage it provides for cracking a bolt rather than hammering on the short wrench when the car's lifted to crack a tough bolt. And if you're on the side of the road lifted on the widow maker, you don't wanna be hammering on a short wrench, so having this in the hatch is wise. Honestly, that's all I used it for in extended mode is cracking the bolts initially, then shorten it down. After that you should be able to hand loosen bolts with the socket. Same with putting them on, hand tighten lets you feel if the threads are having trouble so you don't strip anything. More leverage in that case is a bad thing. The extra leverage is really only for the initial crack.

But that said, yes, you'll need a separate torque wrench to keep in the garage for dialing various things into spec, including wheel bolts. I got one from Tire Rack with my wheels too and it works fine:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?make=Tire+Rack&partnum=TW605&ID=75

Actually, if you're bored you can find articles on putting on lugnuts on Tire Rack too. Tons of good stuff there.

E.g.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/alexs...e-guide/how-to-properly-tighten-your-lug-nuts

ralphykid67

Ready to race!
Great of you to fill me in on all this. Truly appreciated. Cheers!

I'm aware of the Tire Rack sponsorship and have already made contact with Sonny.

Thanks again! Vdub bro-love at it's finest. lol

quality_sound

hmm.......
Just FYI, even if this car was 15 years old it STILL wouldn't need an alignment when changing the wheels. Alignments are ONLY required when you make SUSPENSION changes.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Just FYI, even if this car was 15 years old it STILL wouldn't need an alignment when changing the wheels. Alignments are ONLY required when you make SUSPENSION changes.

This. My alignment it still perfect after switching to my 16" winter setup then BACK to my oem Detroit setup.

Aries, you're correct about the '12 TPMS sensors. '12 and '13 MY cars do not need them, however in case you do have wheels with the sensors (but I hope no one buy them mistakenly, they're $$$) it wouldn't hurt to run with them.

My question:
I lost an oem center cap (Detroit, not sure of they're different). What's the easiest way to get one? Going to check with the dealer about warranty first.

Sent via TapaTalk, butchered by autocorrect

GTI7871

Banned

^^That's COMPLETELY WRONG!!!^^
When i did my 20k service i got my tires rotated, after that my car pulls to the left... (My car was perfect before the 20k service)...

Alignment is schedule for next week...

brainbasher

Ready to race!
Why does my wife drive my car slow with me in it, but when she it by her self she drives it like she stole it?