GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

sunroof switch light, illuminated sunroof switch, mk5 sunroof switch in a mk6

irishpride

Passed Driver's Ed
This will be kind of detailed but it's very easy to do.

there is no need to swap the entire panel, no need to tap into wiring, no need to hack in to your car's power supply. this is purely plug and play!!!!!

**** if you break your stuff that's on you, not me or my dog Max. just you*** :laugh:

also my apologies for the cell phone pictures but my Nikon is at work.

- Pre-08 MK5 sunroof switch in the color of your choice. for this DIY I used anthracite.

- T-25 driver

- soft prying device, I used an interior panel tool.

1. Remove the front panel to expose 2 T-25 screws and remove them. then gently pull down and the sunroof control panel will drop down.

2. Disconnect all the little plugs. If you need pictures for this you shouldn't be doing this and I recommend you stop and call you sister to do the job for you..

3. Remove the sunroof switch from the MK5 panel and unplug the little red and black wires from their harness. Then remove the sunroof switch from the mk6 panel.

3.1 the sunroof switch comes up through the panel not down so push back on the tabs and push the switch through, do this one at a time. It is the exact same method for both panels.

3.2 this is the female side of the harness for the red and black wires, this is a little tricky to get out but not hard.

4. Slide the MK5 sunroof switch down into the MK6 panel (make sure the switch is facing toward the front of the car so the knob is facing correctly)

4.5 Make sure the 3 retaining clips for the sunroof switch "click" into place.

5. Plug in the red and black LED power harness into your mk6 panel...
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

that's right ladies and gents, your MK6 panel is already pre-wired with the exact female harness to accept this LED power harness.

5.5 showing the difference between the switches. the mk5 is the slender looking one and the mk6 is round. ;)

6. Reinstall all of the plugs and place the panel back into it's location

just comparing the switches again.

7. test your hard work... (fingers crossed)

:eek: it works and it's plug and play :p

8. re-secure the panel by installing the 2 T-25 screws and snapping the front cover back into place.

91Z28

Ready to race!
Doesn't the tiguan or the toureg have a switch just like ours that's lit ? Thought i read that someplace.

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
Awesome find. You just solved a lot of people's gripes about the sunroof dial.

From the photo and some detective work I found the following part numbers:

1K0959613AREJ - Anthracite - 2008 GTI / JETTA

and possibly

1K0959613CREJ - Anthracite - 2010 JETTA / 2009 GTI

I'm assuming the first one has the light, but not sure....any parts guys out there?

irishpride

Passed Driver's Ed
Awesome find. You just solved a lot of people's gripes about the sunroof dial.

From the photo and some detective work I found the following part numbers:

1K0959613AREJ - Anthracite - 2008 GTI / JETTA

and possibly

1K0959613CREJ - Anthracite - 2010 JETTA / 2009 GTI

I'm assuming the first one has the light, but not sure....any parts guys out there?

my only worry about the part number is that sometime MY 08 the mk5 switch was not lit anymore. so I am wondering if there was an updated pt# or different altogether.

Also I noticed on the back of the mk6 switch the hole for the wiring is there which leads me to think the back part of the switch is the exact same and only the rotating part of the switch was changed by only not installing the LED. I will take my MK6 switch apart and try to verify this.

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
my only worry about the part number is that sometime MY 08 the mk5 switch was not lit anymore. so I am wondering if there was an updated pt# or different altogether.

Also I noticed on the back of the mk6 switch the hole for the wiring is there which leads me to think the back part of the switch is the exact same and only the rotating part of the switch was changed by only not installing the LED. I will take my MK6 switch apart and try to verify this.

But your MK5 switch works, right? Can you confirm the above part numbers provided by TurtleJames are correct?

irishpride

Passed Driver's Ed
But your MK5 switch works, right? Can you confirm the above part numbers provided by TurtleJames are correct?

yes it works perfectly.. and I could but i don't want to take the thing down right now, maybe tomorrow lol..

the part number may stay the same for all years mk5; however, sometime after 07.5 or 08 the light was removed. this tells me that the part number for this exact switch may be NLA and has a superseded part number to the one with no light.

like you look up XXX XXX XX1 and it will tell you NLA and to use XXX XXX XX2
know what I mean? we will only know this for sure when 1. I get the number from the switch and 2. someone with ETKA looks it up :lol:

irishpride

Passed Driver's Ed
it doesn't look at home in our interior IMHO

well I may have a solution for that too... if you not scared to dismantle your original knob, install your own LED and tap for power.

I just finished taking mine apart and putting it back together and it is 100% possible to do this. pictures to follow later on. :happyanim:

dubnasty

Passed Driver's Ed
why tap a led? I did not try it but when i took apart my sunroof controls i noticed on the circuit board there are pads for the led, just wasn't there or soldered in, but you could solder your own to light the knob up (led size is a plcc-2, only thing i didn't look at was if the knob had a see through area or if the plastic was solid.

irishpride

Passed Driver's Ed
why tap a led? I did not try it but when i took apart my sunroof controls i noticed on the circuit board there are pads for the led, just wasn't there or soldered in, but you could solder your own to light the knob up (led size is a plcc-2, only thing i didn't look at was if the knob had a see through area or if the plastic was solid.

it is opaque and light will shine through.. I didn't see that stuff you mentioned thanks for the info..

I just posted how to take it apart for people that don't know..

zsno

Passed Driver's Ed
Definitely want to do this. Now to find the right switch online!