GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question for those in TX

jedredgti

Passed Driver's Ed
I wish I knew. Kind of important to pass the smog test around here. Also, if I may add? Does it make a difference if catback or turboback exhaust?

raaalph

Ready to race!
If you go stage 2 can you pass inspection or will you need to reinstall the stock downpipe every time you get inspected?

Just get inspected at a shop that doesn't do the smog test. I haven't had to get inspected since I've moved to Houston, but when I still lived out in the sticks, I never got smog tested

EDIT: This link shows which counties require smog testing: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/inspection/inspectionCriteria.aspx
If you're in one of those, just go somewhere else to get inspected. Kind of a pain, but not as big of a pain as replacing your downpipe once a year.

Last edited:

raaalph

Ready to race!
I wish I knew. Kind of important to pass the smog test around here. Also, if I may add? Does it make a difference if catback or turboback exhaust?

Catback won't change your emissions. You'd need to eliminate/replace the factory cats to do that, which would require switching out the downpipe.

reebz

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't think they check the emissions at all. I just got mine done at one of the "Due Now" stations a few weeks ago and all they checked was lights, gas gap seal, brakes, whipers, and tint.

CodeB4U

Go Kart Champion
Just pay someone an extra 40+ bucks to pass it for you. They are all over the place, noone is going to turn away easy money.