GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI AWD conversion

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
I am not trying to discourage him at all; just want to be sure he is realistic about the cost and level of work involved.

Even doing all the work himself, this would still likely reach $10K-$15K in parts and materials before he is all done.

Matt-mk6

Ready to race!
Spend the 10-15 grand and trade up to a golf r when it gets here, easy as that, waste of money doing a conversion like that

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
It be easier to move the engine to the hatch and make it a mid engined rwd rally hatch...

Or get a golf r32, and stick the mk6 body on it, and turbo the r32 or stick a 2.0 TSI in it...

Or just sell the GTI you have now, pick up an old BMW 2002 to play around with and drive until the R20 comes out and with the money saved use it to buy the R20

Bender1

Banned
Honestly, I think it'd be way cooler if you did a FI swapped drive-train from a salvaged Passat/CC 3.6 4mo. I've seen them both in salvage auction selling well below $5k. 2nd and 4th gen haldex respectively a base of ~300hp in a fairly light compact box thats already set up to fit..mostly. Then TT it up. RAI was looking for 600+ hp out of their project 3.6 CC. It would sound way cooler than a LSX, it would be AWD like you wanted, and VW kids wouldn't hate on you so much.

This a hundred million times.

OP - I love the thought and the attitude but piecing something together is going to be OVER the 10k range and simply won't work right. It won't.

Just wait for someone to do it then buy their car off them. xD

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
Anyway going back to AWD if you find salvaged parts and can perform the work yourself it should end up being what a base R would cost including what you've already paid for the GTI. Now if you want to be a true badass you'll shove an Audi 4.2 under the hood or even a new 3.0 supercharged, then you sir would have the most awesome mk6 GTI ever.

Or Audi's new 2.5T from the TT-RS. Amen.

Cackalacka

Ready to race!
I have nothing to add, save for the new-found knowledge that there is slang for huffing the fumes from excrement.

This is like synthetic cannabis meets two girls/one cup.

Bravo.

I have nothing to add, save for the new-found knowledge that there is slang for huffing the fumes from excrement.

This is like synthetic cannabis meets two girls/one cup.

Bravo.

lol

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Since we can't get the scirocco here... Why don't you just rebody the GTI as a scirocco? That be way cool...

Johnny

I'm Here for the Gangbang
Clearly the OP isn't capable of doing this swap as he has no idea of the differences between the awd and fwd platforms. It's been said before, but there's much more too it than swapping the drivetrains.
If you have the money burning in your pocket to do this, buy a Golf R and swap in a 2.5T from the Audi TT-RS. That's a unique swap people would respect, not some hacked up GTI.

AdvanSuper

Banned
OP:

The MKV GTI/R32 swap mentioned earlier was being done entirely by the owner. He/she had all the necessary skills in welding, fabrication, etc and did all the work in the garage. The issues they ran into were basically that you will need the floor, gas tank, entire drivetrain, and entire electrical system (you need most of it so might as well be all) in order to control the AWD. IIRC they could successfully install the hardware, but they couldn't afford the supporting systems necessary to actually make it work.

Since the Golf R is not here yet, you might be able to source a MKV and retrofit the systems, or as mentioned try a CC. But buying new this will cost you more than a Stage III Golf R would and it would still have less power.

This this this.