GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 Mustang GT vs 2010 GTI

b00stinmk6

Ready to race!
So about a month ago my friend got a Mustang GT. We decided to race today after class. We raced four times, (heat soak sucks),lol . So the first race was from a 35 roll i pulled him by about two cars upto 100 where i can tell he was gaining(never caught up). The second race was from a 25 roll where i also pulled him similarly, but he started catching up a bit sooner, at 100 i was about a car and a half ahead. The third race was from about 15 or 20, i dont remember, in that one at 100 i was only ahead by about one car. The last race was from 10, in this one I pulled him from the start and by like 70 he caught me and passed me.

**MODS**:
GTI(mine): BSH Intake, APR Stage 1 Flash.
Mustang GT(friends): Magnaflow Exhaust.

PS: I Know by the end i started winning by less and less, and eventually lost, partially because of heatsoak. Im also thinking maybe the lower rolls were to his advantage, kind of in between gears for me.

Any thoughts?
Any of you have your own "race" stories?

Please Reply,
Thanks.

b00stinmk6

Ready to race!
Yea I have DSG, from 40 its not even fair. I'm shifting at around 5500 or 6000 RPM. I've found that its the best, considering our horsepower falls later on.

sweetsandman

Ready to race!
Interesting...Not at all what I would have expected honestly

acqui

Ready to race!
I would have to say your friend is either not very good with shifting or not a very good driver overall because from almost all instrumented testing by independent magazines, the Mustang should be faster, even with your stage 1. It certainly shouldn't be 2 car lengths behind from 35 to 100 mph.

Cloudlink041

Ready to race!
I would have to say your friend is either not very good with shifting or not a very good driver overall because from almost all instrumented testing by independent magazines, the Mustang should be faster, even with your stage 1. It certainly shouldn't be 2 car lengths behind from 35 to 100 mph.

:word:

Falchon

Passed Driver's Ed

Well, I took a close look at the numbers from Motortrend and noticed room for a GTI to be faster than a Mustang GT if the GTI has gone stage 1 (~25% more power) and has a slightly better driver.

2010 GTI (4 door, DSG and summer tires)
(0-60) 5.8 secs
(1/4 Mile) 14.5 secs

2010 Mustang GT (5-speed, Track Pack)
(0-60) 4.9 secs
(1/4 Mile) 13.5 secs

Part of the reason the Mustang has faster times here is because of its wider tires, non-independent rear suspension (which many argue helps to increase launch times, but seriously hampers cornering ability) and RWD to help it launch better. If you take the launch out of the equation (since the runs in question were done from rolls), and give the GTI ~25% more power and a slightly better driver (using good shift points) I could totally see this being true.

On a side note, I once beat a 2006 350Z with my 2008 Civic Si FROM A DIG, because the other driver was inexperienced. Anything's possible! :lol:

Geofux

Ready to race!
A roll is very different because you don't have to worry about launching it. Only have to make sure you're in the right gear at first to gain the most advantage. Sounds like in the last run you had he finally got it together :p

jgs5607

Ready to race!
non-independent rear suspension (which many argue helps to increase launch times, but seriously hampers cornering ability)

A Myth, a new Mustang GT with the Track Pack has some serious cornering ability and will outrun a lot of independent suspension vehicles even on a tight track, well documented even to the amazement of a lot of Automotive journalists.