GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official K04 Club (Experiences and Troubleshooting)

KFahey

Ready to race!
What year is your car? There are different sets of springs that were used and some are weaker. I believe most cars made in 2013 are good with the revised springs. If it was made before then the only way to know ahead of time is to follow APRs guide to check.

Pain in the ass when it happens.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Mines a 2011, heard it was pretty rare in GTIs so i havent been too overly concerned and no issues yet.....

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Sauce118

Ready to race!
The V3.1 tune doesn't cause hesitation it just controls boost throughout the RPM band. Knowing you have a BOV that probably is contributing to your issue. The car really isn't made for one and the issues it can cause aren't worth the noise.

Modern turbo engines have a lot going on. Hell even the DV+ kit will cause a code to be thrown depending on the springs used. APR still recommends using the stock piston revision valve.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

yea i know, but its a recirculated BOV.. its vacuum actuated and it returns 50% of the air back to the cold side of the turbo intake... So as though it may not be the best thing for the car, it still works well enough that i dont notice a difference (except maybe the hesitation) which only happens in low rpm anyways which i can live with for now.. especially with all the traveling ive been doing the time i have to work on my car anymore has declined dramatically.. luckily i have built a nice build to this point... w/m aquamist is getting ordered next month too... also going next week to get the no lift shift and the launch control added...

Dasteknoviking

Ready to race!
Anyone on here running DriverMotorsport v4.51 K04 Tune on their car? What map sensor are you using?

I'm having an issue on my car (SportWagen 2.0T TSi) which is CTS K04 with upgraded pipes, Golf R IC, Forge Twintake, turbo back catless.

New DV, new N75 valve, new PCV, carbon cleaned 20k ago, no boost leaks.

Car hits boost somewhat slowly and then starts to flutter really bad at 3-4500 Rpm with boost gauge bouncing around and not going past 21ish psi. Car ran like a raped ape before hitting peak of about 29psi tapering off to 20 by redline. One day I started to notice this deep growl-like noise from my intake at above mentioned Rpm. This noise got worse and I worse.

Car has 82k miles on it, coils and plugs are about 25k old tops. No check engine light or any codes.

My tuner is not responding to my questions after sending them multiple logs. Local shops don't want to even take a stab at it. I'm pissed off not being able to surprise cars as bad as I used to be able to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Dasteknoviking

Ready to race!
Forgot to add, I bought a new Golf R MAP sensor just in case mine was fubar. I was told by DM a while ago that stock is fine....

Now they are not responding to any messages

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Anyone on here running DriverMotorsport v4.51 K04 Tune on their car? What map sensor are you using?

I'm having an issue on my car (SportWagen 2.0T TSi) which is CTS K04 with upgraded pipes, Golf R IC, Forge Twintake, turbo back catless.

New DV, new N75 valve, new PCV, carbon cleaned 20k ago, no boost leaks.

Car hits boost somewhat slowly and then starts to flutter really bad at 3-4500 Rpm with boost gauge bouncing around and not going past 21ish psi. Car ran like a raped ape before hitting peak of about 29psi tapering off to 20 by redline. One day I started to notice this deep growl-like noise from my intake at above mentioned Rpm. This noise got worse and I worse.

Car has 82k miles on it, coils and plugs are about 25k old tops. No check engine light or any codes.

My tuner is not responding to my questions after sending them multiple logs. Local shops don't want to even take a stab at it. I'm pissed off not being able to surprise cars as bad as I used to be able to.

have you tried upgrading your plugs to a colder temp plug with specified gap for your tune?? probably around .6mm?

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Also... don't call me stupid for asking.. But people have said that their K04 spool and whistle noise is much louder than their k03/IHI... My IHI sounded real nice.. very loud with all charge pipes, intake, FMIC, and TBE... When I switched to K04, my car is much much faster of course, however the spool and whistle from the turbo is barely noticeable... Does the CTS k04 kit have a turbo muffler? or maybe it is just throwing so much air through the system that the spool noise is over taken by the intak/engine/exhaust.. before when k03 I used to be in low rpm in 3rd and just tap the gas and it would spool like a mack truck.. sssssssssssssssssst.. it doesn't do that anymore.. I was just wondering if that was why? Again i know this is a noob question...

BuiltforSin

Ready to race!
Posted this in another thread. Thought it might get more attention here.

Car hit 90k today. Question(s) for the K04 guys.

1. HPA only provided a downpipe gasket. I was going to order the K04 install kit
in the link below. It looks like it should be everything I need. Am I forgetting anything? Oil? Coolant?

http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Engine/Gasket-and-Seals/K03-K04-Turbo-Installation-Kit-FSI-TSI.html

2. What clamps do y'all use for the front mount intercooler? I've heard mixed reviews so I was going to order some constant torque clamps in the picture below. Anyone ever used them?

3. How many of you K04 guys are using a LSD? I may still have the opportunity to get a LSD for a little cheaper than retail, but the cost of the LSD on top of a clutch and DMFW is intimidating.

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Posted this in another thread. Thought it might get more attention here.

Car hit 90k today. Question(s) for the K04 guys.

1. HPA only provided a downpipe gasket. I was going to order the K04 install kit
in the link below. It looks like it should be everything I need. Am I forgetting anything? Oil? Coolant?

http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Engine/Gasket-and-Seals/K03-K04-Turbo-Installation-Kit-FSI-TSI.html

2. What clamps do y'all use for the front mount intercooler? I've heard mixed reviews so I was going to order some constant torque clamps in the picture below. Anyone ever used them?

3. How many of you K04 guys are using a LSD? I may still have the opportunity to get a LSD for a little cheaper than retail, but the cost of the LSD on top of a clutch and DMFW is intimidating.

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

wellllll your gonna need to drain the oil.. whether you put that same oil back in or change it is up to you.. in my mind when upgrading to bigger turbo its stupid to not change the oil expecially since that oil will be cooling your new turbo too! I drained my coolant before removing the coolant lines from the turbo to minimize the mess. I have heard of people clamping off the lines or kinking them, but then again.. why put old coolant through a brand new turbo? Make sure you get the whole K04 install kit.. i got mine from HS tuning, as some of the oil and coolant connections at the turbo are literally one time use.. and depending on the setup, you might have to double the oil return gasket to keep from dripping, because the way the hard line sits on my k04 it put its at an angle to where if i dont double the gaskets (to use as a spacer) then it seeps oil. I cant think of anything else but i would read through several DIY's and make sure you have everything that way you dont have to stop to go get something, or like me if its your only car, you cant! Best of luck to ya.

And as for the intercooler clamps, as long as it holds the hose on there firmy its doesnt matter what kind of clamp you use. I used the normal style with the slots cut out of the band and the threads of the screw tighten it. I use stainless steel or aluminum if i add or replace anythin on my car if i can, but that is because i am always taking it apart for mods.. SS gets expensive when you always use it but its worth it when you R/R stuff...

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Also... don't call me stupid for asking.. But people have said that their K04 spool and whistle noise is much louder than their k03/IHI... My IHI sounded real nice.. very loud with all charge pipes, intake, FMIC, and TBE... When I switched to K04, my car is much much faster of course, however the spool and whistle from the turbo is barely noticeable... Does the CTS k04 kit have a turbo muffler? or maybe it is just throwing so much air through the system that the spool noise is over taken by the intak/engine/exhaust.. before when k03 I used to be in low rpm in 3rd and just tap the gas and it would spool like a mack truck.. sssssssssssssssssst.. it doesn't do that anymore.. I was just wondering if that was why? Again i know this is a noob question...

ANYONE!??

BuiltforSin

Ready to race!
wellllll your gonna need to drain the oil.. whether you put that same oil back in or change it is up to you.. in my mind when upgrading to bigger turbo its stupid to not change the oil expecially since that oil will be cooling your new turbo too! I drained my coolant before removing the coolant lines from the turbo to minimize the mess. I have heard of people clamping off the lines or kinking them, but then again.. why put old coolant through a brand new turbo? Make sure you get the whole K04 install kit.. i got mine from HS tuning, as some of the oil and coolant connections at the turbo are literally one time use.. and depending on the setup, you might have to double the oil return gasket to keep from dripping, because the way the hard line sits on my k04 it put its at an angle to where if i dont double the gaskets (to use as a spacer) then it seeps oil. I cant think of anything else but i would read through several DIY's and make sure you have everything that way you dont have to stop to go get something, or like me if its your only car, you cant! Best of luck to ya.

And as for the intercooler clamps, as long as it holds the hose on there firmy its doesnt matter what kind of clamp you use. I used the normal style with the slots cut out of the band and the threads of the screw tighten it. I use stainless steel or aluminum if i add or replace anythin on my car if i can, but that is because i am always taking it apart for mods.. SS gets expensive when you always use it but its worth it when you R/R stuff...

Thanks for your input. How is the K04 car with no LSD?

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Thanks for your input. How is the K04 car with no LSD?

I don't plan on putting an LSD in.. Although it would make a good difference probably around turns, the sticky tires, WALK, mounts, coilovers, sway bars, strut bars, and other suspension mods keep it on the road pretty well.. I have no complaints

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Cmon guys. Let's Lee this thread going!!!! Or start a new one. Or SOMETHIFN!