GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Two quick jacking questions

Bill19751

Ready to race!
I know this has been discussed before, but there are two questions I haven't seen answers to.

1) most people suggest using a floor jack to lift from the reinforced seam and place jack stands underneath the control arm bushing. Assuming my floor jack will reach, why not jack from the bushing and place jacks just behind the seam, or on it with a pinch weld adapter? It seems this could be marginally better since the pinch weld is probably designed to support that much weight for a longer period of time.

2) I saw a rear suspension write up and noticed the rear stands were placed here:

I think this is the trailing arm bracket? Any reason why this is not a good lifting point? It's not totally flat but a Jack or stand should still fit.

TIA

Last edited:

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
sub'd

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
With #1....the jack would most likely be in the way of where you'd want to put the jackstand. Not gonna work.
And with the mount not being flat (it's curved)....depending on the jack saddle, it may or may not lift right (be sketchy).
But you could try it.

#2....looks a little sketchy. If you jack up the front or the other side too, it could EASILY slide off the bolt head (or worst case, off the jack stand) and you'd have a real mess. The location of those 3 bolts don't leave much room for a safe (flat) spot for the stand.

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish (work wise), but if you jack from the front jacking point it (with a jack that will go high enough).....it WILL lift the whole side of the car.
Put a jack stand under the control arm mount & then under the rear jacking point and the whole side of the car is on stands.

If you want the front of the car on jack stands....drive up on ramps or a couple pieces of wood & then I use a block of wood under the front subframe and jack it up and then put the jack stands under the pinch welds or control arm mounts (depending on what work needs to be done)

See here for pics:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=259147&postcount=12

This is usually only $80 on sale....a good jack that lifts high:
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-...vy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-61282.html

Bill19751

Ready to race!
With #1....the jack would most likely be in the way of where you'd want to put the jackstand. Not gonna work.
And with the mount not being flat (it's curved)....depending on the jack saddle, it may or may not lift right (be sketchy).
But you could try it.

#2....looks a little sketchy. If you jack up the front or the other side too, it could EASILY slide off the bolt head (or worst case, off the jack stand) and you'd have a real mess. The location of those 3 bolts don't leave much room for a safe (flat) spot for the stand.

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish (work wise), but if you jack from the front jacking point it (with a jack that will go high enough).....it WILL lift the whole side of the car.
Put a jack stand under the control arm mount & then under the rear jacking point and the whole side of the car is on stands.

If you want the front of the car on jack stands....drive up on ramps or a couple pieces of wood & then I use a block of wood under the front subframe and jack it up and then put the jack stands under the pinch welds or control arm mounts (depending on what work needs to be done)

See here for pics:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=259147&postcount=12

This is usually only $80 on sale....a good jack that lifts high:
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-...vy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-61282.html
I figured if you angle the Jack, the stand might still fit. Maybe not? I'm not worried about the Jack pad/cup not contacting the bushing

I ordered a pinch weld adapter, so it's not a problem, just thinking of alternatives.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I might use those rear points as a lifting point and then put my stands on the pinch weld but I wouldnt rest it on jackstands IMO

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
just thinking of alternatives.

I might use those rear points as a lifting point and then put my stands on the pinch weld but I wouldnt rest it on jackstands IMO

You wouldn't put the jackstand under the pinch weld?

That's what it's designed for. If you take your car to a dealer or a shop, that's where they'd lift it from (and the weight of the car would be at that point still)....so it wouldn't be any different

I've never seen the pinch weld get deformed either. Over time the rubberized undercoating might come off, but you can put a towel over the head of the jackstand to try and prevent that if you wish

Bill19751

Ready to race!
Alright fellas, rear jack stand on the pinch welds it is. That piece in the rear looks too uneven now that I've looked at my own car. I thought it might work as the rear end of my Passat had something similar I could lift the rear from, but it was larger and flatter.

Ordered the Schwaben pinch weld adapter/jack pad from ECS. Problem solved!