GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tesla 3

ben_m

Ready to race!
I'm actually shocked this hasn't been started yet....

Anyone thinking of making the switch in a few years?

For me personally I think the Tesla 3 w/ 70KW (BASE - no other options) would be perfect. Ideally I will grab one in 2020-2021 and get something slightly used to keep the price down to around 30k. My GTI will be about 9 years old with 80-90k.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Nope. I don't have anything against electric, but after driving a Model S I have no interest at all in any of Tesla's products.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
The interior sucked, the build quality sucked, the driving dynamics sucked. I understand what you're paying for, but as a car it's less than the sum of its parts.

It was quiet, though, and the instant torque is pretty fun.

Carfacts

tesla 3 opinion

the model 3 is definitely good option for the brand b/c of the cheaper price, but consider all that you can get in another car for that same price, that may not be provided in this smaller model.

it does have it's benefits and I recently read an article on how Tesla cars retain their value more than other manufacturers, and are more trusted vehicles in general.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Something else to bear in mind - they're struggling with build quality and QC on 40,000 units a year for the models S and X. If they don't address their issues soon, that's only going to get worse when they ramp up Model 3 production to 20,000 per month. If you're looking to buy one, I'd wait a few years to see if they can get their issues ironed out.

ben_m

Ready to race!
Something else to bear in mind - they're struggling with build quality and QC on 40,000 units a year for the models S and X. If they don't address their issues soon, that's only going to get worse when they ramp up Model 3 production to 20,000 per month. If you're looking to buy one, I'd wait a few years to see if they can get their issues ironed out.

I agree on waiting 100%. Always better to let someone else play guinea pig. I'm hoping that by keeping the 3 barebones it should help avoid too many pitfalls.

Of course the VW ID concept looks pretty promising too...

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i just cant wait for Elon sending people to Mars. To bad were about ~40-50 years to early for the colonization of mars.

zrickety

The Fixer
I like the model 3 in theory...but it sounds like they are at least 2 years away from finishing the exisiting orders. Assuming things go well, I might consider a base one as well. Don't need the glass roof or fancy trim. If you've driven the K1 go karts or the like, the instant torque is very addicting. RWD would be a bonus in my book. My only concern is the life of the battery, considering how existing lithium ion batteries don't last. 8 year warranty is nice but I imagine the replacements are expensive.

ben_m

Ready to race!
I like the model 3 in theory...but it sounds like they are at least 2 years away from finishing the exisiting orders. Assuming things go well, I might consider a base one as well. Don't need the glass roof or fancy trim. If you've driven the K1 go karts or the like, the instant torque is very addicting. RWD would be a bonus in my book. My only concern is the life of the battery, considering how existing lithium ion batteries don't last. 8 year warranty is nice but I imagine the replacements are expensive.

From what I've read, if you properly charge the battery (i.e. 85% max and only 100% for road trips) and don't fully drain it, they should theoretically last 300-400K.