GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rust - Lower Rocker Panel

scsikid

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, I can't seem to find many topics on rust. I have a 2011 GTI, wash my car quite often even in the winter. I'm in toronto so are winters are pretty harsh, but I hand wash my car in a heated garage through the winter anyway. This summer I noticed on my passenger side, behind the front wheel the lower rocker panel has rust starting between the plastic fender liner and the panel.

I showed it to a friend who owned a body shop for years and he said that its likely vibration while driving causing the plastic from the fender liner to rub away at the finish and now its rusting. Also indicated there is nothing you can do to make it go away permanently so just paint over it, sand it with 80 grit first...

Has anyone else experienced this? It's pretty disappointing to see rust even though I've taken such good care of my car.

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
I have the Same issue on my Driver side.
I do not see any way to fix it really, unless you want to sand, paint then put a clear 3m covering over it.

scsikid

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the Same issue on my Driver side.
I do not see any way to fix it really, unless you want to sand, paint then put a clear 3m covering over it.

That probably will be the way I'll go. Do you think instead of 3M coating rocker guard is better? The texture feel there might blend a bit more with rocker guard was my thought. I have a black GTI.

scsikid

Passed Driver's Ed
Just a follow up to this, not sure how this happened but I pulled the two screws out of the fender liner on the mentioned passenger side where the rust was starting to show. Low and behold a pile of dirt, at least two handfuls of it was between the fender liner, the sill and the insulation there.... I removed it all, rinsed everything out, and left the liner off to allow things to dry.

I used some rust remover in the spot there was rust and spray painted over it. The drivers side did not have anything behind the fender liner FYI.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
hmmmm i'm about to install some mud guards...think i'll take a look at said fender liner...