GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

cam bridge bracket

andrewd

Hi,

I'm looking to have my timing chain and tensioner replaced within the next month or so am I wondering if it's worth while to replace the cam bridge as well while in their. It seems like there are quite a few issues with the screens as of late.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Had my cam bridge replaced by the shop that did my tensioner. They said that they would leave it if the screen was still intact but when they got in there they said the screen was torn off and recommended replacement.

They said that they usually see the screen torn when they go in for tensioner replacements but that could have been them just selling me... not sure

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Had my cam bridge replaced by the shop that did my tensioner. They said that they would leave it if the screen was still intact but when they got in there they said the screen was torn off and recommended replacement.

They said that they usually see the screen torn when they go in for tensioner replacements but that could have been them just selling me... not sure

Yeah I'm pretty sure the screen tears or blows out on every single mk6, it did for mine as well. I had them replace it too but honestly it'd probably be just as good to take the old bracket and completely remove the screen and reinstall.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
The cam bridge screen tearing out is only a problem if the screen gets lodged in the oil passageways and prevents oil from getting where it needs to be. If your screen is not present then I would have the shop look for it in the immediate vicinity (it should be pretty obvious) and certainly get it out of the system if they can find it. Otherwise don't worry about it and just reinstall the same cam bridge.

Also, put me in the category of "No cam bridge screen blowout." I replaced my timing chain system (chains/guides/tensioners) at just over 106k miles and the cam bridge screen was still in place so I left it. Since everyone likes pictures, see pic below of my cam bridge & screen.

EDIT: 1 year and 26k miles after replacing my timing chain, my cam bridge screen blew out. Check post #166 of my build thread for more info and pictures. Due to this I recommend everyone remove the screen if possible. It pulls off easily using a small pair or needle nose pliers. The cam bridge can be removed without removing the motor mount.

Last edited:

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Thank you for the pictures!!! the shop that did the chains/tensioner/guides/etc on my VW GTI took the screen off.