GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New old guy here....

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Welcome to all you old guys! A few rules:
Thanks for the welcome, rules, there are rules??

1. No, yesterday wasn't better than today. Same shit.
Some of my yesterdays were better, yep that's true for me.

2. Wisdom doesn't come with age. If you were a moron, chances are you still are one.
We all lean as we go through life. I pity those who don't. Stupidity knows no bounds.

3. Doesn't take a genius to explain that time is relative.
Wasn't Einstein that genius?

4. If a car ever got you the girl, I hope she didn't become your wife.
Not sure if my car got my wife, I'd like to think I had something to do with that. Yes I married my rally co-driver. 31 years on & I'm still with her. :D

Peace - 51 here.

Yes peace- :thumbsup:

Rosol

Passed Driver's Ed
When I bought my 2013 gti, the first thing my wife said was "Isn't that too 20-something for you?"

Mine said it looks like something a college boy would drive. I let her drive it to the dealership and back to pick up my other car. She didn't want to hand over the keys when we got home.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Is it terrible that the turbo-back exhaust, installed yesterday, has managed to bring out my inner kid? I was having fun with it today!

Smokey73

Passed Driver's Ed
Welcome to all you old guys! A few rules:
Thanks for the welcome, rules, there are rules??

1. No, yesterday wasn't better than today. Same shit.
Some of my yesterdays were better, yep that's true for me.

2. Wisdom doesn't come with age. If you were a moron, chances are you still are one.
We all lean as we go through life. I pity those who don't. Stupidity knows no bounds.

3. Doesn't take a genius to explain that time is relative.
Wasn't Einstein that genius?

4. If a car ever got you the girl, I hope she didn't become your wife.
Not sure if my car got my wife, I'd like to think I had something to do with that. Yes I married my rally co-driver. 31 years on & I'm still with her. :D

Peace - 51 here.

Yes peace- :thumbsup:

I was wondering if you were going to comment on #4! Tell Babs I said hello!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P_m651

Ready to race!
Mine said it looks like something a college boy would drive. I let her drive it to the dealership and back to pick up my other car. She didn't want to hand over the keys when we got home.

Ha! Nice. My wife thinks it drives fine enough, but even the stock suspension is too harsh for her. She prefers to drive her car, which is a-ok with me.

In any case, I'm having a ball with it. It's the most balanced and competent car I've ever owned. I can see myself owning gti's for a while.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Coming from a 2006 MINI it does not feel harsh at all to me. I think if the GTI had a 17" wheel & tire package it would ride magnitudes better. With the 18" wheel package VW uses there is a whole lot of unsprun weight. Light weight wheels & tires pays dividends, better ride & most importantly aids performance. Just my .02...

chilipepper

Ready to race!
I'll be turning 49 in a few weeks. When I bought the Gti, I was also considering a Mini, Fiesta ST, Miata and FIAT Abarth, so the Gti WAS the grown up choice.

My wife is always bugging me to drive it.

99% stock and probably staying that way.

LargeMargeSentMe

Ready to race!
Ive seen "ROOSTER1050" in person, and I must say, he looks very young for almost 47! I must conclude that the heavily modded GTI keeps a person young!

Winoman

Ready to race!
Welcome - I'll be 54 in a few weeks. Check out my mods (below)...also drive an 01 Audi S4 Avant (AWE Stage 3)...and have a (much) older Mustang Convertible (64 1/2)....wife (mostly) drives the BMW. Obviously I love cars & fast & nimble cars and the GTI - particularly modded out is great thrills (and very very capable). All are MT/stick except for the Stang. Luckily wife still drives a stick as well - though complains about it....hates the Audi (mostly due to the $ its cost us over the years...but also the torque/acceleration scares her a bit)....she likes the GTI plenty (as long as w're not spinning wheels - which is possible in at least 3 gears - sometimes 4....) - but complains incessantly about the admittedly quite loud exhaust (which I love). Anyway enjoy....GTI is a most awesome little car...and can be made even quite a bit better...

Greywolf

Passed Driver's Ed
I introduced myself in a New Member post a few days ago. I'm 45, and my wife is a couple of years older. Definitely not too old for the GTi, but I find it funny to see younger drivers in "competitors" cars race to catch me on the street, and then see their reaction in realizing I'm not going to take their bait to race. They do not expect to find a mature driver just enjoying driving a fun car. LOL

MrTocs

Ready to race!
I introduced myself in a New Member post a few days ago. I'm 45, and my wife is a couple of years older. Definitely not too old for the GTi, but I find it funny to see younger drivers in "competitors" cars race to catch me on the street, and then see their reaction in realizing I'm not going to take their bait to race. They do not expect to find a mature driver just enjoying driving a fun car. LOL

This... This has happened many times to me. Always brings a chuckle.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
21, turned my MK6 in last week for an MK7. I'd like to think i'm a little older in my head than 21, but i still know how to have fun (in AND outside of a car). I never start races, but if someone baits me... I can't resist.