GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY LED City/Parking Lights

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I recently had a city light go out so I decided to upgrade to LED's. I was unhappy with the cost of options that are made specifically for our car (deAutoKey--$45, ZIZa--$50). I decided to try a pair of LED 194 base bulbs and see how they turned out. I purchased these LED bulbs in Cool 6500K temperature (part number WLED-CWHP5). They are $5.95 each and I had them shipped to my house from superbrightleds.com for $14.73. Turns out they work very well. They match the xenon color well and are much brighter than the OEM bulbs. However, these bulbs require VAG-COM to prevent a bulb-out indicator light on the dash. If you don't have access to VAG-COM you must purchase a set of LED's with resistors to prevent a bulb-out light on the dash. Otherwise, find someone to do it for you. It takes no more than 5 mins. Go to Central Electronics, Byte 27, select Bit 2 to activate LED City Lights so no error is displayed.

Bulb specs:
Cool 6500K
5 5050 SMD LED's
Comparable Wattage--5-10 Watts

Installation takes 2 minutes. Twist the large cover off of the inside of each headlight. It takes about 1/8 turn counter clockwise. Grab the big beaver tail tab sticking out. The bulb assembly pulls right out. Stick the new LED's in and push the assembly back into it's position. The LED's are polarized so if they don't work then pull them out and flip them around. Close the cover back up and you're good to go. Below are some pictures to help and a comparison of the OEM bulbs versus these LED's. LED is on the left, OEM on the right.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
One of the cheapest mod can be done on this platform :thumbsup: