GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011-2014 Water Pump Recall Incoming

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Hmm, I'm not sure what revision I have but my car is a 2014 that had I think 9k miles when it failed. It's got to be the latest revision I imagine. I guess it wouldn't be worth while getting it swapped either if it hasn't failed yet. :iono:

Ya my thoughts exactly. This is just like any of the other many revisions except now it "looks" like VW cares and wants to do something about it.

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie

mmmoose

Ready to race!
Hmm, I'm not sure what revision I have but my car is a 2014 that had I think 9k miles when it failed. It's got to be the latest revision I imagine. I guess it wouldn't be worth while getting it swapped either if it hasn't failed yet. :iono:

My 2014 also had a failed water pump at 14,000 miles. I think the build date on mine was 09/2013. The factory installed pump was revision BB. The replacement was BG. So I'm not too sure many (if any) even have the latest revision installed.

Veedubgli

Ready to race!
My waterpump went around 20k. Mine's a 2012.
Regarding the carbon build up, there is a VW fuel additive you should add every 10k miles that VW says will help lessen carbon build up. I pick some up at the dealership with every oil change.

HeloHarmonics

Ready to race!
So I was pretty happy to see this thread at first... I just entered my VIN on the VW recalls site. According to the VW site, this is not a recall, but a service campaign. Remedy= "Your authorized Volkswagen dealer will inspect and, if necessary, replace the coolant pump in your vehicle."

My question is, how is this really anything different from the status quo? Did VW design a new water pump that they are reasonably confident will fix the issue? Or did they train the techs to install them with a different technique? I had my water pump replaced about 6 months ago with the BB rev and it's still okay, so I'm not sure what would happen if I brought my car into the dealership for this service campaign.

Seems like this would only be meaningful if I knew they were installing something that will last however long a water pump should actually last (years and years). Does anyone know what the difference between a recall and a service campaign will mean for us in this case?

eldiablo1

Ready to race!
ugh... this means my car will have to see a dealership garage. I think I'll just wait until the water pump actually fails. 33k miles - so far, so good.

reshwitz

Ready to race!
My waterpump went around 20k. Mine's a 2012.
Regarding the carbon build up, there is a VW fuel additive you should add every 10k miles that VW says will help lessen carbon build up. I pick some up at the dealership with every oil change.

Does VW have a TSB on this or did the dealer just sell you on snake oil?

Fuel additives do next to nothing for intake carbon buildup since the fuel is injected in the cylinder whereas the carbon builds up on the intake valves.

Jared32

Ready to race!
My car qualifies but as far as I know it's still good so why replace...

Sent from my iPhone using Tappytalkie

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I have the last 8 digits of my VIN# - someone tell me what the first #'s and letters are?

Sub'd. Saw it this morning. What if you're fine, they replace it to satisfied the open recall and that one leaks :lol:

This. I'm at 85k and don't have an issue with my pump. If I go get it replaced I'm likely to be worse off than if I leave it as-is. What's the chance this campaign will extend into the future if/when my pump does fail?

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
I have the last 8 digits of my VIN# - someone tell me what the first #'s and letters are?

This. I'm at 85k and don't have an issue with my pump. If I go get it replaced I'm likely to be worse off than if I leave it as-is. What's the chance this campaign will extend into the future if/when my pump does fail?

WVWGV7AJ2 ?