GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got to drive the "R"!

GSXR

Passed Driver's Ed
I thought it was bizarre they did a 180 on the R and dropped DSG. DSG isn't my thing, but it is undeniably popular and desirable to many - and increasingly so across many manufacturers. Bringing on the 6spd was just awesome and right up my alley but I can't believe they dropped DSG.

And even though I bought an R I based it on a GTI test drive. I *loved* the GTI. Great car!

Are you trading in the Evo X? I'm sure the interior is nicer in the R with exception to the seats. But overall performance is down on the R...

ToddMcF2002

Passed Driver's Ed
Well... at 40K you would still be getting a fine example of German engineering. Boosted AWD, DSG, world class handling and fit and finish at a serious discount to BMW. Clearly worth 40K given the equivalent euro competition. VW may be a great value but they also have fine engineering and people shouldn't be so hung up on the "its only a Golf". 30K is not a magic barrier.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
I say bring the DSG over as well as the adjustable suspension. :thumbsup:

$40k car for sure then...they should have just given us the same R. People would pay it if they're already willing to pay $37k.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
The dealer I chatted with today said I'd "be surprised what we'd do on price" when I said its just a bit too much $$$ for what it is. Probably talk to get me in the door

ToddMcF2002

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you trading in the Evo X? I'm sure the interior is nicer in the R with exception to the seats. But overall performance is down on the R...

Big power and rawness isn't everything. The Evo is being picked up next Saturday, it sold in one day. Yes I'm going to miss the car but... If you've never owned one I'll try to explain the negatives, as they apply to the STI too:

- When you turn the key, whether you are in the mood or not you expect a heavy metal theme to kick on like a bad Pontiac commercial
- If you tone it down (quiet it down or remove the wing etc) you start realizing you are taking away the very character that defines the car. You are simply in the wrong car at that point
- When you pass someone or basically do *anything* the whole world is watching and listening, and some of them wear badges. Subtlety is not its strong suit.
- You actually do get tired of the teenage kids telling you how awesome it is
- These cars are power platforms. Leaving them stock is pointless. Modding them out makes their focused character all the more acute.

Bottom line, its "single minded" focused nature is a liability as a daily driver. Do you ever want to just get in the car and go through the drive thru for some freakin coffee? I don't 350WHP for that. And if I want a track car, I'll get an VIII a few years down the road!

This is why so many of these big power cars get sold IMO.

schwabo

Ready to race!
Don't buy a car that you don't think it's worth it, i.e. I would never buy a SRT-4 Neon, it's fast but not what I see in a car. If going fast is the ONLY requirement, then half the people on here wouldn't buy their GTI's, GLI's, etc ... yes, the R has a higher price point, but this is the cheapest world market you can get the R for ... Even at $36800 (4 door loaded with delivery) it's still a bargain ...

Anywho ... please, go out and DRIVE one and then give us your feedback .. don't forum troll and do math comparisons of something you HAVEN'T driven ...

PS: AWD > FWD any day of the week, esp in Minnesnowta.

TAZZ1

Ready to race!

In real driving conditions stock to stock the difference is not that noticeable, really. Plus drop in 500$ on a stg 1 tune on the R and u have a German-faster evox with the better quality and interior. That's a good trade anyway u take it:w00t:

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
Well both R's in kc area sold!!! Guess I'm wrong, people in the Midwest will spend that much. Was looking forward to seeing one tomorrow. Guess I'll wait awhile to see one in person.

ToddMcF2002

Passed Driver's Ed
They really aren't that much for what you are getting. If you look at the package and stop thinking "Golf" you'll see the value - german quality/lux and high performance package. Its more or less an S3, which of course you can't have. But just for giggles go ahead and try to configure an A3 and see how far you get before exceeding the R MSRP. And of course you are left with a girly automatic :barf:

These cars are going to sell.

337RSR

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't buy a car that you don't think it's worth it, i.e. I would never buy a SRT-4 Neon, it's fast but not what I see in a car. If going fast is the ONLY requirement, then half the people on here wouldn't buy their GTI's, GLI's, etc ... yes, the R has a higher price point, but this is the cheapest world market you can get the R for ... Even at $36800 (4 door loaded with delivery) it's still a bargain ...

Anywho ... please, go out and DRIVE one and then give us your feedback .. don't forum troll and do math comparisons of something you HAVEN'T driven ...

PS: AWD > FWD any day of the week, esp in Minnesnowta.

Just imagine up here in Canada. AWD is a must in backroad winter driving...
Funny the R is due only AFTER winter (mine is scheduled for first week of april and I can't wait).

noggin

New UK member here! Where an R costs 54k usd and gas is ten bucks a gallon!

I've been running a Mk4 R32 for year and have just ordered an R.
I love the R32 but she's getting older and it's time for a change. I test drove a Euro spec R which has DSG and Adaptive Chassis Control - it was these two features that really made a difference and swung it for me. Deposit down!
Am I right that you guys don't get these on US spec?

The R can tear up the tarmac like the R32 but be comfortable and refined when you need it. It's not as fast as some sporty offerings for the same price but as a hatchback I say it's the best one available today. Even the best hatchback ever!!

Elmexicano

Ready to race!
New UK member here! Where an R costs 54k usd and gas is ten bucks a gallon!

I've been running a Mk4 R32 for year and have just ordered an R.
I love the R32 but she's getting older and it's time for a change. I test drove a Euro spec R which has DSG and Adaptive Chassis Control - it was these two features that really made a difference and swung it for me. Deposit down!
Am I right that you guys don't get these on US spec?

The R can tear up the tarmac like the R32 but be comfortable and refined when you need it. It's not as fast as some sporty offerings for the same price but as a hatchback I say it's the best one available today. Even the best hatchback ever!!

Yeah we do not get either of those options here in the States... Please get the Recaro seats in our Honor!!! haha