GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Sport Suspension"

okra63

Before the 2010 pricing sheet was taken down from vw.com, I noticed that the TDI and GTI had the same base wheels (225/45-17) and both listed "sport suspension" as standard. Any ideas about suspension callibrations? I can't imagine they would be the same. Thoughts?

zee

Go Kart Champion
The GTD and GTI do not have thesame suspension. Based on VW UK, the GTD is .6" lower than standard Golf suspension, while the GTI is .9" lower than standard Golf suspension.

The North American Golf 2.5 is getting a standard suspension, while the GTI is listed as getting a "sport suspension with lowering". The TDI on the otherhand just says "sport suspension"???? which I will guess is half way between the 2.5 and GTI.

So...we might be getting the GTD suspension in the TDI, but wont know for sure untill a properly finished the full spec-list surfaces.

Alex.

Ready to race!
In Europe, there is the adaptive dampening giving you the decision of COMFORT, SPORT, and somewhere in the middle. So is the American GTI always in SPORT? I hope so...

zee

Go Kart Champion
Yep, we wont have DCC, but the American GTI suspension is equivalent to the sport mode.

Alex.

Ready to race!
Good, I would be VERY upset if it was preset to comfort or normal.

I just wondering, how did you know that?

Last edited:

zee

Go Kart Champion
Good, I would be VERY upset if it was preset to comfort or normal.

I just wondering, how did you know that?

Just going simply by what I have read in the articles.:)

The German GTI has two suspension chioces.
1 - DCC - Dynamic(or Adaptive) Chassis control which can adjust the dampening between soft, normal and firm.
2. Normal sport lowering springs and shocks, with ride quality equivalent to the normal setting in the DCC.

As we wont be getting the DCC, only other option is the normal sport lowering spring and shock...which is also what we had in the Mk5.

The main question would be exactly how low. North American GTIs have usually sat a little higher than the rest of the world.

okra63

Thanks a bunch for the thoughts/info! I've got a MkV GTI, and actually am hoping for something a bit more "compliant" (yes, I know-heresy lol) I'm old ;)

Even in a GTD versus GTI suspension in full Euro trim, the GTD does have different spring rates. Most of that is out of sheer necessity since the 2.0L diesel motor just weighs more than the 2.0 TSI gasser (think it's either 75 lbs. or maybe over 100 lbs.). From everything I've read, the TDI we will get here in the US will be the Golf GT setup in the rest of the world. With higher spring rates over the gasser as above.

Thanks a bunch for the thoughts/info! I've got a MkV GTI, and actually am hoping for something a bit more "compliant" (yes, I know-heresy lol) I'm old ;)

I'm not exactly a spring chicken (44) but the current MK V with 17" wheels on the stock suspension is about as "compliant" as I want to go personally. I would swap out for the DG Euro springs in a heartbeat, throw on some really good (BBS) 18" wheels and be very happy. Commuting into Baltimore daily, I do have to deal with our pockmarked and supremely crappy roads with expansion strips that'll knock your fillings out, etc. The setup above would give excellent control but still leave enough sidewalls and suspension travel to absorb the truly nasty stuff IMHO.