GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

If you need a back-up camera for a GTI, you can't drive.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Is a back up camera a necessity? Especially in this small car? No, of course not, but it is nice to see everything behind your bumper when backing up.

There are SUVs out there, where even turning around and looking over your shoulder and out the back window while backing up - one might not see the little kid that darted behind the vehicle and is completely obscured from view due to the height of that vehicle, and in some cases coupled with its relatively small rear glass.
That's why back up cameras are becoming standard.

Sonnytron

Ready to race!
They're like Beats headphones. There's probably three people who got them because they actually wanted them, and thousands who got them to show off.

Merkle

Banned

corydd

Go Kart Champion
The problem is that a lot of people just actually suck at driving. I actually just got hit yesterday by someone trying to parallel park in front of me. Do I need one to park? No, but I still can't wait for them to be mandated so that all the shitty drivers can park without hitting everyone else.

quality_sound

hmm.......
If you are a driver that lowers your car and backs into stalls then I see the point of them. Same reason I see why people have front cameras in lowered vehicles. Don't wanna hit a curb with their bumpers I guess. I put one in but I do this for a living and got the camera for free so all it cost me was about 20 minutes of my time.
You should know where your corners are, period. Cameras are for lazy, half-assed drivers. I've never had a back up camera and never backed into anything no pulled in so far that my bumper hit anything.

What ever happened to basic driving skills?

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
Cameras are for lazy, half-assed drivers. I've never had a back up camera and never backed into anything no pulled in so far that my bumper hit anything.

People have taken driving for granted and they really don't care.

misaka

Ready to race!
Might as well go with "People who need a back window need better driving skills"

Says every Windowless van, truck, semi truck driver lol...

Heck, why do we have auto dimming mirrors, you should just tilt it down when it gets bright.

Auto headlights? Learn to turn on your own headlights!

Power seats? Those are for people who don't know how to use their hands.

A camera is nice, really. I use everything at my disposal, I drive without one in one car and with one in the other. I know how large my car is, but it never hurts to see more viewpoints if your brain can handle it. I know some people are not multitaskers and cannot utilize multiple feeds of information at the same time, but hey no one says you have to look at the back up camera.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
IF you need AC you can't use the windows.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
You should know where your corners are, period. Cameras are for lazy, half-assed drivers. I've never had a back up camera and never backed into anything no pulled in so far that my bumper hit anything.

To rest of the world american driving school/lessons are laughable. Also autos are easy as hell to drive, you can teach a 10 year old easily to move a vehicle forward