GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 11-14-2017, 01:05 PM   #15
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriggenT View Post
That would kill the golf R market
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
wouldn't be a bad thing. I'd rather have a gti with the same turbo as an R any day of the week. VW missed so hard by not putting real awd on the R's.
Then the Golf R should have had a bigger turbo Like the IS38(Mk7R) or a slightly larger than that and the GTI with a k04.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #16
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHerna View Post
x2 for Cobb/Stratified

lilonespaz will be in here sooner or later, he can probably explain better.

Basically, he is saying a Unitronic tune will be smoother/more drive-able than your current APR tune. Unitronic is a flash tuner, similar to how your car was flashed by APR.

You can buy a Cobb AP, which will be married to your car and comes with Cobb's OTS tunes, which are very mild.
You can go an extra step and get an E-tune through Stratified. You either buy a "covers-all" tune which will cover basic mods (intake, dp, dv, etc.), or you can buy a pro-tune through them, which will be tailored to your car and mods. You let them know what your mods are, and what you're looking to get out of the tune. They will send you an initial pro-tune. You will have to do some work and data-log with the Cobb AP. You send them your data-logs, they review and make adjustments. This is a back and forth until you are happy with you tune.
Quote:
Bonus info: Buying a COBB from Stratified means you get their OTS map for free with a MAF calibration revision.

This sums it up pretty well. Read through the stratified thread for more info.
Quote:
Quote:
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:20 PM   #17
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: mk6 gti
Getting rid of my apr stage 2 v2.4 tune and replacing it with a stratified tune was the best thing I ever did for my car.
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #18
FriggenT
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2013 Wolfsburg gti DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
Then the Golf R should have had a bigger turbo Like the IS38(Mk7R) or a slightly larger than that and the GTI with a k04.
I'm stating simply why the k04 wasn't standard
FriggenT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:17 PM   #19
rpandresen
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI Shadow Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterkrazzy View Post
Getting rid of my apr stage 2 v2.4 tune and replacing it with a stratified tune was the best thing I ever did for my car.
How much did the swap cost you? Like total cost. Parts, labor, time spent logging.
rpandresen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #20
webbry4
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI Autobahn IE Stage 2
I have integrated engineering stage 2 on my gti and have driven unitronic and apr and prefer mine. They seem to run a bit more boost on the mid range which is better for daily driving imo but stratified is definitely the best option I just get discounted IE for being local to Utah so it was cheaper for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
webbry4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:02 AM   #21
Jarred767
Oval Champion

Drives: 2011 White GTI 4DR 6MT
If I were to buy a used AP and have the OTS tunes for now, would it possible to get a stratified tune down the road after some upgrades have occurred? Or would it be wiser to just start with a Stratified tune/AP combo even though everything under the hood is still stock and upgrades will be fairly slowly added on?

Last edited by Jarred767; 11-15-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Jarred767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:22 AM   #22
CHerna
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 DBP GTI 2 Door M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarred767 View Post
If I were to buy a used AP and have the OTS tunes for now, Id it possible to get a stratified tune down the road after some upgrades have occurred? Or would it be wiser to just start with a Stratified tune/AP combo even though everything under the hood is still stock and upgrades will be fairly slowly added on?
It would probably be best to scoop up an AP and flash an OTS tune for the time being, for a little extra power, and the MAF calibration. Once you get your mods all in place, contact stratified for a tune. You can get the tune whenever, as long as you have an AP. This way you get the most out of your tune and money.

2003 Golf GTI 2 Door - Tornado Red 5-Speed m/t (Gone)
CHerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:29 AM   #23
Laimface

Drives: '09 Candy White GTi 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
I'd rather have a gti with the same turbo as an R any day of the week.
You can buy 'em. They're called "Edition 35". Pretty much a FWD R.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:30 AM   #24
Laimface

Drives: '09 Candy White GTi 6MT
Quote:
It would probably be best to scoop up an AP and flash an OTS tune for the time being, for a little extra power, and the MAF calibration. Once you get your mods all in place, contact stratified for a tune. You can get the tune whenever, as long as you have an AP. This way you get the most out of your tune and money.
Why do that when you get a Stratified tune for free with their AP, Plus it's 10% black friday discount.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #25
CHerna
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 DBP GTI 2 Door M/T
Quote:
You can buy 'em. They're called "Edition 35". Pretty much a FWD R.
We didn't get those

Quote:
Why do that when you get a Stratified tune for free with their AP, Plus it's 10% black friday discount.
OP said he will be adding mods fairly slow.

2003 Golf GTI 2 Door - Tornado Red 5-Speed m/t (Gone)
CHerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #26
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: mk6 gti
Quote:
OP said he will be adding mods fairly slow.
It makes more sense to get it from Strat so he can get the free Strat tune. Even if he just runs it as a stage 1 tune, once he gets his mods it's only $50 to have stratified update the tune. Otherwise he runs on a lesser tune (the cobb tune) and has to pay $100 when he's ready for the strat tune..
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:05 AM   #27
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriggenT View Post
I'm stating simply why the k04 wasn't standard
Yeah i feel ya. I think everything should be bigger and better from the get go. If we had the mk7 turbo i would def not be considering a bigger turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarred767 View Post
If I were to buy a used AP and have the OTS tunes for now, Id it possible to get a stratified tune down the road after some upgrades have occurred? Or would it be wiser to just start with a Stratified tune/AP combo even though everything under the hood is still stock and upgrades will be fairly slowly added on?
I would buy the AP from stratified with their flash tune for freee
http://www.stratifiedauto.com/index....roducts_id=677

Quote:
this.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #28
Jarred767
Oval Champion

Drives: 2011 White GTI 4DR 6MT
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterkrazzy View Post
It makes more sense to get it from Strat so he can get the free Strat tune. Even if he just runs it as a stage 1 tune, once he gets his mods it's only $50 to have stratified update the tune. Otherwise he runs on a lesser tune (the cobb tune) and has to pay $100 when he's ready for the strat tune..
Thanks for all the info guys! After thinking about it more, I figure if I look hard enough (I'm not in a huge hurry and may even wait to tune until after the snow is done) I could probably scoop up a used AP for $500, then buy the Flash Tune from Stratified for $100 as it sounds like their Flash Tune is better than the OTS Cobb stage 1 tune, correct? (I'm completely stock right now BTW) Then if/when I have enough mods to justify recalibrating it just spend $50 to update the tune through Stratified. Does that make sense?
Jarred767 is offline   Reply With Quote