GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Exterior / Interior Care (washing, detailing, exterior repairs)

Old 11-11-2017, 07:13 PM   #71
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
Welp... guess what. Headliner just turned 3 years old and it's sagging in the exact same spot as before. I glued it for now, but yeah, it's going to obviously get worse. I hate this cheap garbage. How much did you guys pay to redo the headliner aftermarket?
Old 11-11-2017, 08:40 PM   #72
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: mk6 gti
I'm gonna tackle it myself in the next month or so I think.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KET24AA...d=8WG7L7VJOA9Q
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:29 PM   #73
realcyberbob
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI
Send a message via AIM to realcyberbob
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocalPoint View Post
Welp... guess what. Headliner just turned 3 years old and it's sagging in the exact same spot as before. I glued it for now, but yeah, it's going to obviously get worse. I hate this cheap garbage. How much did you guys pay to redo the headliner aftermarket?
$350 at an independent upholstery shop. VW wanted almost $1,000 because they replace the whole headliner part, not just the fabric.
2011 CW GTI 6-Speed: APR Stage II, APR Carbonio Intake, Clutch Masters FX350 Clutch Kit, 42nd Draft Designs Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Forge Twintercooler, BFG DV+, Dieselgeek Short Shifter, ECS Dogbone Mount Insert, StopTech Pads & Slotted Rotors, Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit, Golf R LED Tail Lights, CiM Vent Boost Gauge, RNS-510 Navigation, Uber-Stealth Box & 10" Pioneer Sub, Alpine MRP-M500 Amp, 25th Ann. GTI Golfball Shift Knob, Modshack Low Profile Engine Bay Trim, Hankook V12
realcyberbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:50 AM   #74
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcyberbob View Post
$350 at an independent upholstery shop. VW wanted almost $1,000 because they replace the whole headliner part, not just the fabric.
I was looking at slightly used headliners in good shape as to replace the headliner doesn't involve much at all, so I'd just tackle myself, but $350 seems like a deal.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #75
realcyberbob
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI
Send a message via AIM to realcyberbob
Quote:
I was looking at slightly used headliners in good shape as to replace the headliner doesn't involve much at all, so I'd just tackle myself, but $350 seems like a deal.
I looked in to replacing the headliner piece like you but it seemed it was a pain in the ass to do. Also, I wouldn't buy another VW headliner because chances are very high that it will sag again.
2011 CW GTI 6-Speed: APR Stage II, APR Carbonio Intake, Clutch Masters FX350 Clutch Kit, 42nd Draft Designs Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Forge Twintercooler, BFG DV+, Dieselgeek Short Shifter, ECS Dogbone Mount Insert, StopTech Pads & Slotted Rotors, Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit, Golf R LED Tail Lights, CiM Vent Boost Gauge, RNS-510 Navigation, Uber-Stealth Box & 10" Pioneer Sub, Alpine MRP-M500 Amp, 25th Ann. GTI Golfball Shift Knob, Modshack Low Profile Engine Bay Trim, Hankook V12
realcyberbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:01 PM   #76
zrickety
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
Not necessarily the glue, the foam comes apart and lets go. You can DIY for about $70 in materials, scraping the old stuff off the headliner board and 3M spray glue the new material on. $350 for a shop repair is not bad, that's about what a replacement costs from VW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:21 AM   #77
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
Not necessarily the glue, the foam comes apart and lets go. You can DIY for about $70 in materials, scraping the old stuff off the headliner board and 3M spray glue the new material on. $350 for a shop repair is not bad, that's about what a replacement costs from VW.
I had my headliner replaced before and it was noted on the paperwork as a $790 repair... do you mean just the headliner piece?
Old 11-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #78
zrickety
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
Yes, I was referring to just the part. It's not a hard job, just fiddly and took me a couple hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #79
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Isn't it essentially just removing all the handles above the windows, the visors, and the dome lights and pulling it out through the hatch? I've removed the dome lights and all that madness before on individual projects. Didn't seem challenging.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:04 AM   #80
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
^^^I would think the A, B, & C pillar covers/trim would have to come off/out as well
Old 11-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #81
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
^^^I would think the A, B, & C pillar covers/trim would have to come off/out as well
Could be right. Maybe pulled back at the very least. B-pillars are easy as shit though. I found a high-rated mobile service with excellent reviews that can do it same day at my house. Might give it a try.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:30 PM   #82
Ik1015
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: mk5 ug
I did replaced and this DIY is very helpful. I am not sure some one already posted.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/he...-mk5-vw-jetta/
Not really need to replace retainer clip and white trim plug and I bought them and never used.
Ik1015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #83
MMKAY6
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI Autobahn
Quote:

You have to be kidding me. So your 6 year old car has essentially gone through two headliners. That's insane as my weekend car (1993 Cobra) is 24 years old on the original headliner that still looks like new.
I guess my newly replaced headliner will fail again too in a few years.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:51 AM   #84
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMKAY6 View Post
You have to be kidding me. So your 6 year old car has essentially gone through two headliners. That's insane as my weekend car (1993 Cobra) is 24 years old on the original headliner that still looks like new.
I guess my newly replaced headliner will fail again too in a few years.
The way I see it, you can probably get 3 years total out of a VW headliner in a tropical climate.

My MKV GTI had this happen, fortunately it was a lease, or it would've likely happened again. Also, my ex's MKIV Jetta had it happen.

Another reason I won't buy another VW. Literally the only car brand I know who doesn't care about recurring problems unless government agencies force them to.