GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installing a K04 kit on higher mileage engines

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
If everything comes apart, it's really not that bad. I had a bitch of a time getting it all apart because all my bolts were rusty as hell. Going back together wasn't bad at all. I would pb blaster everything and let it sit if it's rusty at all

Make sure you have some LONG allen sockets so you can get the heatshield off.. its impossible to get at it with short ones, and allen keys flex too much

My downpipe bolts were rusty as shit.. I had to pop my ball joint bolts and inner axle bolts so I could move the axle front and back a bit so I could get in there with a wrench and with a pipe on it. I didn't have enough room to get a breaker bar

My oil return line bolts on the turbo (triple squares) were really rusted, so I had to hose the shit out of them with pb blaster and hammer the bits in there so I could pop it loose

When you pop the small coolant lines in the engine bay, you're gonna loose coolant out of the two on the drivers side, so wire them up, otherwise it'll keep draining all over.

The rear coolant line on the turbo (banjo bolt), pop it loose, and let it trickle into a pan, and go get a drink for a bit. If you just pop it off, you'll have like 3/4 of a gallon of coolant pouring all over everything

You'll need 3/8" extensions and either a swivel joint, or a ball end extension for a socket so you can get to the front downpipe bolt on the bottom

I took the whole heatshield off with the coolant lines attached, rather than separating it, but make sure you put your coilpack harness above it when you reinstall. I bolted it all back in with the harness trapped under the metal coolant line. It doesn't hurt anything, but I can't get it out now without removing the lines lol

My turbo manifold nuts were rusted to the studs, so the studs came out. I called the dealer, and they didn't have any in stock, but he said the audi dealer had some

Remove the turbo outlet rubber hose, and also take the 3 allen bolts out of the turbo housing that hold the outlet tube into the turbo muffler (the part where it expands to like 3"), otherwise you'll have a bitch of a time getting the turbo out. I got it loose and couldn't get it up and around the head without taking that off

I'd put the turbo outlet tube, and the diverter valve in after you bolt the turbo in so you don't bang them around trying to get it in there

I bought this set of allen / torx / triple square bits, and it helped a ton to have the different length bits, and the ability to use a 10mm wrench to turn some of the short ones http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-40-Piece-Industrial-Triple-Square/dp/B007SX10AG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1401803796&sr=8-4&keywords=triple+square

These long allens are what I needed to get the 6mm bolt out of the heatshield.. it's so close to one runner on the manifold that you can't get anything else larger on it
http://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-metric-long-reach-hex-bit-socket-set-7-piece-67890.html

and these long ball allens were a life saver for me a few times as well. I think I had to use one of these to get my turbo support bracket bolt out of the turbo.
http://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-metric-long-ball-head-hex-socket-set-7-piece-67888.html

Last edited:

boosted135

Ready to race!
In theory the block should be good to around 200k+. Everything around the engine is what's going to need to be replaced with k04 strain. Engine mounts, water pump, fuel pump, injectors? Those are the parts that usually take the brunt of the wear.

trd420

Go Kart Champion
I know a guy here in HTX with a APR K04 mk6 GTI with about 112k on it now with no problems.. and i have 46k now and never any problems...

ZiggyMKVI

Ready to race!
Well this gives me hope i have 72k and want to do a k04 eventually.

fkshtup

Ready to race!
See I'm at 95k now and I'm getting my head rebuilt. I had bad carbon build-up when the intake manifold came off. I would think at least do a valve cleaning to be safe.

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
I'm pretty sure he is on here but don't know his name. Mk5 tsi if I remember correctly did k04 at like 20k miles and has about 100k on it now

fkshtup

Ready to race!
They pulled the head for a carbon cleaning?

No the head is being rebuilt. When the intake manifold came off is when I saw the nasty carbon build-up.

fkshtup

Ready to race!
Why is it being rebuilt though?

To the OP do the K04....... YOLO!!!!

My head leaked out 80% of the air when they did the air test. Test was done at 90 psi