GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New owner - Cam Follower - Questions

MochaD

Hi all. :)

Finally bought myself an R having spent the last few months looking for a GTI as I knew if I passed up the R I would be kicking myself every time I saw one, although they do seem few and far between where I live.

It's an 11 plate Pearl Black/Black Pearl which ever way round it is, 61000 miles, FSH and comes with pretty much everything I wanted. It's completely standard and have no real plans for modifying it. This is a dealer photo...

...and left the dealers having had a full service. When we finally agreed a price I said I wanted the cam follower changing because of everything I'd read over the last week or so on various forums. When I've gone to pick up the car today he said it had been replaced and had the old one to show me, and this is what it looks like...

...which has left me wondering what all the fuss is about?

The only real annoyance I've got is that I'm seeing "km/h" instead of mph in the digital display, and the wing mirrors don't automatically fold in when I lock the car but have read that Vag-Com should be able to sort that out?, is there any recommended Vag-Com People that I could contact?

I'm sure I'll be reading more threads/asking more questions now I actually own the car.

Thanks

slowgti08

Ready to race!
Changing the Cam follower is just preventative maintenance. Usually when people finally check it they find it to be worn through in which is to late and results in serious damage. I have read that a vehicle being tuned can result in the cam follower being worn out quicker. Now that you see there's no damage to the cam follower you have peace of mind. The cam follower looks in decent shape but doesn't pop out the picture that maybe the PO had it replaced before. Enjoy the R its a great car.

bebersol

Ready to race!
I see a few cosmetic mods which have been done to your car, side marker color match and the talladegas have been painted.

Cam followers wear faster on HPFP that have been modified.

and Kph versus Mph can be modified from your steering wheel controls

The mirrors don't have folding motors, maybe manual works.

Also the car looks like it's right hand drive :-0

are you in England, Australia or China?

MochaD

I have read that a vehicle being tuned can result in the cam follower being worn out quicker.
That's what I've read too so unless the PO did have it replaced it's in pretty good shape for 61000 miles, I'll at least have the new one checked at the next service.

I see a few cosmetic mods which have been done to your car, side marker color match and the talladegas have been painted.
There are no markers and I thought the black 19s were part of the options. I wasn't sure about the black wheels at first but they are growing on me, might get them dipped silver at some point as I do prefer the contrast.

and Kph versus Mph can be modified from your steering wheel controls
Oh, I'll have a look at that then, sure I've read it's due to EU regulations that it's displayed in the first place and can't be changed via the settings.

The mirrors don't have folding motors, maybe manual works.
Mine do, but it's going to get annoying having to turn the knob every time I leave the car to get them to fold in.

Also the car looks like it's right hand drive :-0

are you in England, Australia or China?
England.

-SnowmanMafia-

Passed Driver's Ed
Since you're keeping it stock, every 15k miles should be fine to check and replace the cam follower.

I'm new as well on the forum but I owned an 07 GTI with the FSI motor so I'm pretty informed on the topic.

It's actually quite easy to check yourself. You just need to remove the intake and the high pressure fuel pump is directly on top of the motor. It's held on by 3 bolts that use a T25 Torx bit. The only other things you need to do to remove it is unscrew 1 17mm nut on a fuel line, disconnect the two electric plugs from the pump and unplug a vacuum line by simply pulling on it.

Yours looks to be in great shape! The big fuss about the part is that if/when the cam follower gets worn all the way through the metal shards have to go somewhere. That somewhere is the top end of the motor and the fuel pump causing you to have to get a new HPFP and a new cam installed. I've seen quotes around 3500 USD for the work to be done if it happens.

Just stay on top of it and change it out every third oil change if you're doing 5000 mile intervals!

MochaD

Since you're keeping it stock, every 15k miles should be fine to check and replace the cam follower.

I'm new as well on the forum but I owned an 07 GTI with the FSI motor so I'm pretty informed on the topic.

It's actually quite easy to check yourself. You just need to remove the intake and the high pressure fuel pump is directly on top of the motor. It's held on by 3 bolts that use a T25 Torx bit. The only other things you need to do to remove it is unscrew 1 17mm nut on a fuel line, disconnect the two electric plugs from the pump and unplug a vacuum line by simply pulling on it.

Yours looks to be in great shape! The big fuss about the part is that if/when the cam follower gets worn all the way through the metal shards have to go somewhere. That somewhere is the top end of the motor and the fuel pump causing you to have to get a new HPFP and a new cam installed. I've seen quotes around 3500 USD for the work to be done if it happens.

Just stay on top of it and change it out every third oil change if you're doing 5000 mile intervals!
Thanks for the info, thankfully I don't have to worry for a while now since it's been changed, will be interesting to see how much it has worn the next time round.