GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Used GTI Market working against me...

Fordson

Ready to race!
A week and a half ago I picked up a 2011 GTI Autobahn w/ DSG and 4 doors with 11k miles on it. It's Carbon Steel Gray. It's CPO and looks brand new inside and out. I paid $26,975, which is $4,735 less than the original sticker of $31,710. It has 2 more years of warranty and goes to 60k miles, which means 49k miles of warranty left. I think I did pretty good.

I paid $28,578 for my 2011 Autobahn 6MT 4dr new - sticker of $30,610 - and that included the tags and the $770 destination charge. So by that math, you paid around $2,700 less for a car with 11k miles than you should have been able to pay for a new one. The additional warranty does help, though.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Well #1 rule is to secure your own financing first before even starting to shop for a car. If the dealer can beat it, let them. But have something ahead of time from a credit union to compare it against.

Used vs new rates are about identical right now at a reputable bank. VW credit offers 1.9% up to 60 months on CPO too.

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
credit unions are fucking awesome.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I paid $28,578 for my 2011 Autobahn 6MT 4dr new - sticker of $30,610 - and that included the tags and the $770 destination charge. So by that math, you paid around $2,700 less for a car with 11k miles than you should have been able to pay for a new one. The additional warranty does help, though.

That math only works if you have a dealer near by that's willing to sell that much under MSRP. The warranty really helps me though. I drive a little over 20k miles per year, so the standard VW warranty only lasts me 1.5 years. That's not much. This adds over a full year to that for me.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
That math only works if you have a dealer near by that's willing to sell that much under MSRP. The warranty really helps me though. I drive a little over 20k miles per year, so the standard VW warranty only lasts me 1.5 years. That's not much. This adds over a full year to that for me.

Does it add to the 5 year 60k mile powertrain?

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
It adds 2 years/24k just to the bumper to bumper(new vehicle limited) warranty.

But in addition to that I got the 100k DSG warranty thanks to the recall on mine.

Was thinking about an extended warranty but between those 2 I'm pretty well covered even though I also put on a lot of miles.

Last edited:

Zach84

Ready to race!
That's the price you should pay for a NEW one.

On what planet... If it has the xenon lights it has to be either an autobahn or sun/Nav package. They sticker at 31k and 29k respectively. I just got mine a 2-dr though with the sun/Nav package and paid 26.5k because it was a '11 leftover. 24k is like 3k under dealer invoice...

mikent256

Ready to race!
On what planet... If it has the xenon lights it has to be either an autobahn or sun/Nav package. They sticker at 31k and 29k respectively. I just got mine a 2-dr though with the sun/Nav package and paid 26.5k because it was a '11 leftover. 24k is like 3k under dealer invoice...

It has Sun & Nav. When you said that, I remembered it.

Fordson

Ready to race!

According to Edmunds TMV and to the offers from Truecar I got, I paid pretty much at the low end, but now below the range, of what other people were paying for the car, so dealers are selling them for that price. Also, I bought my car in March, when 2011 cars were current-model-year cars. Couple tricks I used, in addition to just doing my homework, was to find identical cars a couple states away, and let my dealer know I had located them and was shopping them, too, and to buy on the last day of the month...after which the $500 in dealer cash (from VW USA to the dealer, that is) was slated to go away...used that one before.

Having a dealer that's willing to sell that much under MSRP? You have to MAKE him willing - that's your job. He's not going to offer to do it.

You got a pretty good deal - these cars hold their value. And yeah, that extra warranty will help you out with your use profile.

Nice car, guy. The value will continue long after the price is pretty much forgotten.

mikent256

Ready to race!
So.. let's talk about Certified Pre-Owned VW's..

Let's just say a dealership is advertising a car as Certified Pre-Owned. Can said dealership at this point say they are charging $1800 extra for the Certification?? It's practically a complete bait-and-switch! The advertised price was what attracted me, and the fact it's Certified Pre-Owned but after a phone conversation with said dealer, he pulled out a lot of "surprises" and frankly, I was extremely pissed.

If the price is advertised as Certified Pre-Owned, it is what it is right? Although, they're adding a "clause" on their website saying "The Certification costs more." Talk about a completely misleading advertisement.

I would imagine, if it shows up on VW's Certified Pre-Owned Inventory finder, then that settles it. Not this bait-and-switch bullshit they're trying to pull on me.

P

plac

yes they're messing with you. they can't add on an extra $1000 to the window later, saying its because its certified. the window sticker IS their selling price, and you negotiate down from there.

just walk.. easiest way to get them seeing things YOUR way..

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Dealer I bought from advertised them as pre-certified/eligible for certification with an asterisk indicating there was a charge for that. Wanted $1600 for the certification but talked them down to $800 after initially refusing it. It does cost them some money. Just be sure the end price still works out to a deal. Well actually I got it free because of a paperwork error on their part, but that's what the price was going to be.

You're basically just buying an extended warranty.

Last edited:

mikent256

Ready to race!
yes they're messing with you. they can't add on an extra $1000 to the window later, saying its because its certified. the window sticker IS their selling price, and you negotiate down from there.

just walk.. easiest way to get them seeing things YOUR way..

I was 2 seconds away from calling VW NA because of how pissed off I was. But I called the dealer back up and requested to speak with a manager. None of that is an appropriate way to do business. I won't be expecting much to happen from the call though. Too many people buy from this dealership to make a difference with one complaint.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
They "can" do that and will do that - its a disclaimer in many VW dealers autotrader ads. It sucks, but thats what they do.