GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ditched the GTI

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I also forgot to mention it came with a canvas cargo area protector that velcros to the carpet and a K&N drop in filter.

Today before the football games started I washed the Jetta and the truck

KOA789

Go Kart Champion
Did you happen to drive one with X-REAS? It's a crazy sport suspension setup where the the left front shock is linked to the right rear shock and the right front shock is linked to the left rear shock. The purpose is when your going around a corn the inside rear wheel is kinda unloaded and it forces pressure to the outside front wheel that has most of the load on it. The end result is a big ass truck that stays flatter than most cars around corners. It's truly ridiculous how well it handles on road with the X-REAS suspension. No joke you wouldn't believe it until you've experienced it. Supposedly the compromise is it's very expensive to repair when a piece of the system goes bad and you do give up a little bit of off road comfort as it's a firmer than pretty much any truck suspension (it doesn't dive or roll, it's very car like on the road).

I drove a regular Trail edition, I don't know if that had the system in it. I pretty much drove the 4Runner for a bit, then a Touareg, then i drove the Touareg to the Jeep dealer and ended up buying a Jeep lol The 4Runner was more off road capability then I would need. I do enough off roading to get a wagon stuck, but not enough to get anything as serious as a 4Runner. The GC (no air ride, but has removable front air dam and locking rear diff) does everything just right on road for me and lets me get a bit nutty when i go camping or snowboarding. 4Runner looks damn imposing though. It's much bigger than the last one I drove (2003) and the one I drove had a 3rd row as well, which I didn't know was an option. If they offered a diesel I probably would have bought it though, I drive about 15 to 18k a year.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Yeah the X-Reas isn't an option on the trail models. It's a night and day difference. I like Grand Cherokees but I feel like every single Jeep I've even driven feels so loose int he steering. Like it requires constant steering input back and forth to try to keep it going straight on highways. I did look into a Wrangler Unlimited but IMO it wasn't worth the cost for what you get.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Nice 4 runner... I've been tinkering with the idea of trading my Trail Teams FJ for a TRD Pro 4 runner.

Any mod plans? Trd supercharger? Icon lift kit? Led light bars? Baja rack roof rack? Rock sliders? Bud built under belly armor?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
He's planning on bagging it.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
He's planning on bagging it.

Lol...

But seriously... With 4 bikes on the hitch... He can get a load leveler air ride kit which i've seen on some FJ's

He can even pick up a set of offroad specific volk racing te37's from rotarynight.

I was gonna pick up te37's for my FJ but all that is left in the production run is a pair in 1 offset and another pair in a different offset with no plans to make more

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I have some plans for it but nothing major.

-I'm going to add mudflaps to keep the rear wheels from spraying shit up at the bikes.
-I'm going to do HID high beams. I'm not going to be an asshole running HID's in halogen housings blinding everyone else on the road. They will be in halogen housings but you turn the brights off when other cars are coming anyway so it's a non issue for the high beams, I want it to scatter the light and light up everything.
-I'm going to do Weathertech floor mats before ski season starts.
-I'm going to do LED interior bulbs.
-I'm going to tint the front windows to match the rest of the factory tinted windows.
-Budbuilt battery tray for running dual batteries (for camping and stuff like that).

Depending on how satisfied I am with the light output after messing with the OEM stuff I may add a 20"LED light bar behind the lower front grill. I may do OEM Trail Edition upper front grill, rear hatch panel, and headlight housings (black instead of chrome). I may potentially do a spring spacer leveling kit that lifts 2.5" up front 1.5" in back - It's basically just a spacer that goes between the strut mount and the body, same suspension as stock but the, it just levels it out while going up a bit. It's only a couple hundred bucks and easy to install so I might try it.

Last edited:

KOA789

Go Kart Champion
Yeah the X-Reas isn't an option on the trail models. It's a night and day difference. I like Grand Cherokees but I feel like every single Jeep I've even driven feels so loose int he steering. Like it requires constant steering input back and forth to try to keep it going straight on highways. I did look into a Wrangler Unlimited but IMO it wasn't worth the cost for what you get.

I've driven a few Wranglers (an Unlimited with 33s and a modified Sahara with 33*) and there was a lot of steering correction with those. I wouldn't buy one of those for a travel vehicle anyways. The only GC I've driven has been the 2014 WK2 diesel and I didn't notice that in the steering at all, maybe because it was stock, or I just don't have the feel for that. Which model is the X-Reas available on? Sounds like a bad ass system.

zrickety

The Fixer
Awesome truck. My friend just bought a new 4runner, they had special financing or something early July. Used were 3/4 of the price, so he figured why not? Was going to trade in his APR K04 GTI for 13k, so I bought the car for a great deal.

misaka

Ready to race!
I have some plans for it but nothing major.

-I'm going to add mudflaps to keep the rear wheels from spraying shit up at the bikes.
-I'm going to do HID high beams. I'm not going to be an asshole running HID's in halogen housings blinding everyone else on the road. They will be in halogen housings but you turn the brights off when other cars are coming anyway so it's a non issue for the high beams, I want it to scatter the light and light up everything.
-I'm going to do Weathertech floor mats before ski season starts.
-I'm going to do LED interior bulbs.
-I'm going to tint the front windows to match the rest of the factory tinted windows.
-Budbuilt battery tray for running dual batteries (for camping and stuff like that).

Depending on how satisfied I am with the light output after messing with the OEM stuff I may add a 20"LED light bar behind the lower front grill. I may do OEM Trail Edition upper front grill, rear hatch panel, and headlight housings (black instead of chrome). I may potentially do a spring spacer leveling kit that lifts 2.5" up front 1.5" in back - It's basically just a spacer that goes between the strut mount and the body, same suspension as stock but the, it just levels it out while going up a bit. It's only a couple hundred bucks and easy to install so I might try it.

Any thought to a retrofit instead?

http://www.lightwerkz.net/news/2013/05/02/huys-2013-toyota-4runner-oem-lexus-ls460-conversion-morimoto-xbaled-rings/

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I got a couple new things for the truck recently. I swapped out all of the interior lights along with the plate light and puddle lights in the mirrors for LEDs. I added some OEM mudflaps to keep from spraying crap up at the bikes, and an OEM retractable cargo area privacy cover.

Usually we spend the weekends mountain biking or whatever, yesterday we did a 28 mile ride through the mountains on dirt single track so today we decided to take it easy. My wife and I got some breakfast and drove from Boulder up into the mountains to check out the fall colors with the Aspens changing. We went up Boulder Canyon to Nederland, took the Peak to Peak a short way towards Estes Park and jumped on the Switzerland Trail. We spent a few hours off roading until we hit the town of Gold Hill then over to Left Hand Canyon back down to Boulder. The Switzerland Trail is the site of a historic 3 ft narrow gauge railroad line used for mining around the turn of the 20th century. The rails have been gone for about century now but the unmaintained rail beds are open trails. This was the first time either of have gone off roading on anything other dirt country road and it was a blast. It was nothing crazy or extreme but it was a lot of fun on rugged rutted up narrow trails bench cut into the side of mountains.

Anyways, pics!

Thats a ski resort up there on the top right

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
such truck. much offroad. featured wife. very fall colors. WOW.

Sonnytron

Ready to race!
Pretty solid move to be honest. I've always loved 4Runners. The old 22B has years and years of threads dedicated to it. I've always ranked my SUV's: 4Runner, Cherokee..... And that's it. I never think of anything other than those two. And those pictures look great! A GTI for some reason would be so out of place in those pictures, like Batman on a farm during the day just standing in the yard.