GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review of DeAutokey's MK6 Brake LEDs for non-LED tail lights

Dj dunns

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok guys so DeAutokey selected a few members to test and review their new MK6 Brake LEDs for non-LED tail lights. I was lucky enough to get picked for this so here is a review and some pics.

First off, these were very easy to install and came well packaged which is the norm from DeAutokey. Took me about 20-30min max to install these and reverse LED's. The LED's I was sent to actually test are just for the outer/brake tail lights for non Euro tails and the LED's are red in color when lit as opposed to the dull stock bulbs. These things are bright but not to the point where they are annoying. They're much brighter that the stock bulbs.

I really do like the appearance of these but there is just one problem. They both throw bulb out errors. I tried flipping these numerous times to try to get the error to clear but no luck. They still turn on and the brake does light up when pressed but still have error. I am wondering if there is some coding that can be done in order to fix this. Maybe something similar to the coding done when installing euro LED tails? If anyone has any input on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Anyway, click the link for pics of the lights on.

Oh i almost forgot. They do light up faster that the inner stock bulbs. There is a slow mo video displaying this and another video showing some sort of strobe pattern that happens when I put the key in the on position. Not sure if this is normal or not either. Any questions feel free to ask and if anyone can maybe shed some light on possible coding for the errors would be appreciated as well.

Cheers...

http://tinypic.com/a/3heug/1

Dj dunns

Passed Driver's Ed
Could someone with Euro tails chime in on the idea of coding these the same way? Would like to get the error to go away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
I was hoping that these would be a series of lights in a L shaped pattern to repliacte the look of LED tails...I guess they are just single bulbs?

Dj dunns

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah just single bulbs to replace the stock ones. They do look much better than stock but don't give the L pattern

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
coding will depend on which trim you have. IE: xenons or no xenons. there is a thread on vwvortex with all the coding information you'll need.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4898893-LED-tail-Install-with-or-without-Rear-Fog

I was hoping that these would be a series of lights in a L shaped pattern to repliacte the look of LED tails...I guess they are just single bulbs?

if you want L shaped pattern, you would need new housings which is the same as buying oem, hella, depo, or opd led tail lights. just the bulbs aren't going to make a difference in that respect.

Last edited:

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
Yeah just single bulbs to replace the stock ones. They do look much better than stock but don't give the L pattern

coding will depend on which trim you have. IE: xenons or no xenons. there is a thread on vwvortex with all the coding information you'll need.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4898893-LED-tail-Install-with-or-without-Rear-Fog

if you want L shaped pattern, you would need new housings which is the same as buying oem, hella, depo, or opd led tail lights. just the bulbs aren't going to make a difference in that respect.

Ok thanks fellas...

Dj dunns

Passed Driver's Ed
So thanks to the help of nafljhy, I was able to code the errors away. Changed byte 18 to 21 and bam, no errors! Thanks for you help man

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Thanks for this review - do you have a more focused DIY on how to remove the errors anywhere?

The listing can be found here:
http://deautokey.com/product/comple...olkswagen-mk6-gti-golf-with-oem-non-led-tails