GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intake pipe cracked, what to do?

Flamingti27

Ready to race!
So I just recently bought a custom cai from a dude known as xtremequicksand9 on here and it went smooth other than the fact that he didn't let me know there was a pretty large crack on one end of the apr stage 2 intake pipe. I'm not too worried because I got the stage 2 pipe and nuespeed pflo short ram for such a good deal but I'm now looking into possible fixes for the crack. If anyone has had a crack on there Intake pipe, what have you done to fix it. Called apr and they suggested I sand it down and put some kind of resin over it? Any advice, let me know. Thanks everybody!

Here are some pics of the crack just for some perspective

Here is a pic with the rubber coupler almost over it as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zrickety

The Fixer
Carbon fiber seems so fragile to me. Since there is no boost on that side, you would be safe to put some duct tape or similar on it. You are just trying to prevent unmetered air getting sucked in. You could probably repair it with fiberglass resin if you wanted a more permanent fix.

Flamingti27

Ready to race!
Carbon fiber seems so fragile to me. Since there is no boost on that side, you would be safe to put some duct tape or similar on it. You are just trying to prevent unmetered air getting sucked in. You could probably repair it with fiberglass resin if you wanted a more permanent fix.

Yea It does seam to flex really easily, alright thanks for the advice [emoji1305]

2013 GTI Wolfsburg edition 4 door DSG --> cts dogbone mount insert | custom nuespeed pflo cold air intake | rola roof rack | more to come....

Flamingti27

Ready to race!
Possibly Permatex Black would work as well. May not look pretty though.

Yea I don't think it will :/ but do I run the risk of whatever kind of resin I use to repair it possibly flaking off and then going into my turbo?

2013 GTI Wolfsburg edition 4 door DSG --> cts dogbone mount insert | custom nuespeed pflo cold air intake | rola roof rack | more to come....

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
Yea I don't think it will :/ but do I run the risk of whatever kind of resin I use to repair it possibly flaking off and then going into my turbo?

Permatex Black should not not do that. It "dries" to a rubber-like material. It will not be hard like a resin would be. It is very messy to apply though.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Google carbon fiber repair, plus your zip code. There are always people working on that material, I had a local inquiry done and they are actually not bad.

Flamingti27

Ready to race!
Google carbon fiber repair, plus your zip code. There are always people working on that material, I had a local inquiry done and they are actually not bad.

Alright, I'll check that out. Thanks man