GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My 1 millionth coolant leak

spenny02

Ready to race!
I feel like I have posted a million times about my coolant leak, but I cannot get it fixed and I desperately don’t want to pay the stealership...again. So I have had my water pump replaced twice and they keep failing. First one replaced by the dealership and the second by me. I put the second one in and it always had a small leak after I turned the car off. Couldn’t find a leak while it was running. So I pulled the pump off again and inspected everything and it all looked fine. Pump, hoses...everything. Drove it again today after putting it all back together and it is still leaking after I shut my car off. It’s coming from the center of the engine around the water pump area. It’s above the auxiliary pump. It’s puddling up on the block behind the pump and that’s what makes me think it’s the pump. But it is a brand new pump and I have inspected it and everything looks fine on it. Anyone have any ideas?

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I hate to say it but usually after the revision is installed it boils down to improper install. I feel like the original dealer should've made u whole after the failure after the first replacement. You could try a different dealership and say u don't trust the other to do it correctly and see if they'll do a good job. Not knocking ur skills they're just really particular about how they get installed. I remember the humble mechanic talking about how easy it is for a tech to shortcut the install and get something wrong.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Which part number did you use? I seem to recall there being two numbers available depending on engine code, I don’t know if they would even be interchangeable but worth checking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
You might find the fitting info in this document helpful as it may highlight a reason for your continuing leak!

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/SB-10058634-4170.pdf

You don’t say wether you were covered under the above service action but even if not I would have taken the car back to the dealer who did the work if the new pump was leaking again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sspcivic31

Drag Race Newbie
double check the two plastic coolant lines that are attached on the pass side of the intake manifold. they are the in/out lines for the after run pump. sometimes they crack and leak on the inside radius of one of the bends. it runs down and is hard to trace