GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

72,250 mi Intake Valve Carbon Buildup

formul8

My GLI farts
Have you sent these pics to VW yet? If so, what was there response?

No need. VW already knew this happens before they even released this engine.

Instead of R&R'ing the manifold and doing the scrape, I ran three capfulls of Seafoam over a week period, cleaned the IAT and MAF sensors, beat the crap out of the car for a couple days, replaced the air filter and no more CEL's or rough idle problems since.

I'm sure there is still carbon buildup and it will only get worse as time goes on, but this at least prolongs it a bit.

dcarony

Ready to race!
No need. VW already knew this happens before they even released this engine.

Instead of R&R'ing the manifold and doing the scrape, I ran three capfulls of Seafoam over a week period, cleaned the IAT and MAF sensors, beat the crap out of the car for a couple days, replaced the air filter and no more CEL's or rough idle problems since.

I'm sure there is still carbon buildup and it will only get worse as time goes on, but this at least prolongs it a bit.
How'd you clean the IAT and MAF?

dcarony

Ready to race!
All MKVI GTIs have the TSI engine (and 2008.5+ MKVs). Given that your signature has a picture of a GTI..and this is a GTI-centric thread, I thought it was a pretty safe assumption :).
Ah, so the FSI is only in MKV's before 2008.5?

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
I'm still planning on dyno loading my car to see if it helps. I drive pretty hard so I imagine I don't have that much carbon buildup for 32k miles. Recently had my clutch replaced so it should hold up to a high load session.