GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Side Moldings...keep em'?

JonRoth

Ready to race!
So when I got my GTI from the dealership, the car had side moldings pre-installed. I wasn't too keen on having them, but I figured it'll save me the worry of parking and getting dents in the doors from assholes throwing their car doors around, and I was given them free of charge. Here's my question..after a while, I really am getting tired of looking at them on my car. It gives the car a cheap look in my opinion, and after a while, I'm worried that the dirt that gets stuck underneath the moldings will harm the paint after a while. Also, if I keep the moldings on for a longer period of time, I'm worried that the paint around the car will age differently then the paint underneath the molding and when I finally decided to take them off, the car will have two awkward streaks running across the door panels. Want your opinion's on the matter. Keep them? Rip them off? Also, if I do decide to take them off, the moldings aren't bolted into the door are they? I figured they were just stuck on with heavy glue...Anywho, opinions por favor!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
pics?

JonRoth

Ready to race!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347051648.117332.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347051673.858506.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347051705.825413.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
hmmm.. with the color match, I'd just keep em, personally.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Not horrible on the UG. Saw them on a CW 4dr earlier this week, just awful.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
CSG

JonRoth

Ready to race!
And what about a two tone paint job after a while?

Storch

Go Kart Champion
not a fan personally but they dont look too bad on the grey

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
I agree that they don't look bad, wiith that said I'd still take em off unless you are parking in tight spaces all the time. Cleaner is better, and it is just one other obstacle to keeping the paint on the door minty.

Lös Gehts

Ready to race!
Looks Okay to me, I'd keep em on for now, you can allways get the paint buffed out if you ever take them off in the future.

JonRoth

Ready to race!
Well I brought it to a shop and they said these could have centering pins in em' so if I took them off I would have holes in the doors. Dealers don't know a definite answer so I guess I'm keeping them on. Thanks for the input everyone.

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
I have them on my UG 4 door and im into them, but its a personal opinion...

I think on other colors i may not feel the same such as CW or Blue

But interested to know if there is center pins on them, the MK5 has them